“Cozy and convenient, a charming interesting place”
Review of Columns Hotel

Columns Hotel
Ranked #121 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Columns immensely and you might too, depending on what you are looking for. Clearly people's opinions are all over the map. I stayed here for three nights on a weekend when we had a function planned at The Columns. The price was reasonable considering that it came with a full breakfast. The hotel is in a big old house right on St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans' Garden District. This is very convenient if you want to take public transportation to many NOLA attractions since the streetcar runs right in front of the hotel and goes to the French Quarter for $1.25.

I stayed on the third floor and was happy I did. The bar on the first floor does a brisk business and is open late most nights and could be noisy. Many people seem to hang out at the bar in the evenings. The hotel's wireless did not reach to my room so I had to go to the lobby to use it. The hotel had an elevator but I don't know if it was for general use so I climbed 58 stairs to go to my room. Not a big deal for me, clearly a dealbreaker for others. The stairwell is paneled in dark wood and decorated with wall murals and stained glass with an impressive stained glass skylight at the top of it. The whole place is tastefully decorated in similar ways with statues and neat furniture and light fixtures. Nothing in this place is new, I think that's part of its appeal, you might not.

My room, room 26, had a giant bed that was elevated so high off the floor that there were portable steps to climb into it. There were ample pillows and nice bedding and a comfy carpet with plenty of drawers to put things away into. There were also dark curtains which made the room great for sleeping. The room had nice prints on the wall, and a mismatched series of lamps. The AC worked great and there was also a ceiling fan and an old but functional TV. The bathroom was pretty basic [stall shower, no tub, sink, toilet] but clean and while there was a lot of soap provided, there were just a few random-seeming sample sized shampoo bottles provided. Each room seems totally different and I was happy with my room and didn't see the need to pay extra for a corner room.

Every staff member I spoke with was polite and friendly and available for local questions and transportation arrangements. The event we had at The Columns was terrific and we felt well-supported by both staff and management. The place is definitely funky. If you're looking for a top of the line place, this is not it. That said, if you're looking for an interesting and midrange place to stay without staying in a chain hotel I'd strongly suggest it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jessamyn

Reviewed 30 June 2009

Lets start by saying that the Hotel is set in old fashion, Its a Historic hotel, So what would you be looking for. We stayed for 3 Nights and had Sunday brunch the afternoon before we departed. You cannot go to New Orleans with out having Brunch. We had a wonderful time on the porch (even with the heat), I am sorry, its called a Veranda in the south. The Chef name is Chris Wilson and the food was prepared to the Tea. The shrimp and grits, the gumbo, and the bread pudding is to die for.
So even if you dont stay at the Columns , Please have brunch there, Its a Meal you will never forget

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Stayed here and was very very disappointed. There wasn't a mattress pad on the bed and the sheet was ill-fitting so most of the mattress was exposed. The tiles in the shower were green with mold and the paint was peeling off the wall in places. The room was dusty and the decor is old and shabby and NOT shabby chic, just plain OLD and CHEAP. The staff was friendly but the rooms were just awful. There weren't any little bottles of shampoo/conditioner or those little touches that make a hotel experience. The duvet was stained and clearly had not been washed in a very long time. Breakfast was very greasy/oily and the menu had 4 items on it. Just do not stay here, it was bad and EXPENSIVE!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Charming place to look at; room was nice; about what you would expect from reading the website, but a couple of problems prevailed:
1-though they promised wi-fi, it was weak/non-existent and the staff was unable/unwilling to do anything about it. This was important because I had some serious work to do, and had to set up shop at a coffee shop.
2-the breakfast was a waste fo time. In a city full of good food, it is a waste of time and a valuable appetite that could be put to better use, to eat a breakfast so shabbily prepared.
3-no shampoo unless you ask for it! Seems petty and cheap. To save 30 cents, they gave me a bad shower experience. Once you are in the shower and notice its absence, it is too late to step out and ask a maid for some shampoo.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keithk_nyc
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We were looking for a nice hotel in the St. Charles/Prytania area. It looked good in the pictures. It was awful. We were on the 3rd floor. They negleceted to meniton there was no elevator (well there was one but it did not seem to work). The high ceilings gave great ambiance, but it meant going up 2 flights was 6 sets of stairs. We got there and the room did not seem bad. A little musty and old, but not awful. THEN: We climbed into bed and there was no bed pad or pillow liner. The towels were cheap and small, the spread was old. The shower was clogged. We finally asked to move. We were moved downstairs. Still no bed pad or pillow liners) We went out and when we came in there were a few personal items we had left in the other room. They were in a clear trash bag on our bed. I openedit up and my husband said: wait a minute there is trash (truly most discusting stuff you can imagine). My husband went down to talk to management. I tried to wash my hadns and found yellow water coming out of the faucet. We checked out and went across the street to the Comfort inn. $20 less a night, clean and breakfast and a lap pool.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank m4kinney
Reviewed 1 August 2008

We are living in the same area as Columns Hotel and it's curb appeal made me decide to make a reservation for Sunday Brunch. The woman behind the desk was not only aloof and snobbish, she walked away from me when I was asking a question after making the reservation. My husband was offended and upset but I did not cancel the reservation. After a few hours reflection I have decided that he is right, we DO NOT want to support such a business. I had told her that we were local and she was so disrespectful and cold that I won't repeat the experience. Thanks but no thanks!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank knew2nola
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I booked this hotel with a wedding party so I didnt know anything about it untill I got there. It looked nice from the outside and it seemed like a nice place at first but it went downhill fast.

First off, they charged me $70 more when I checked in than we had agreed upon. They offered two different explanations as to why so I guess they really didnt know. This was done to several people.

Every hotel employee we interacted with (bar, breakfast, front desk, maid, owner) was rude as hell and didnt want to help at all. My girlfriend was treated like crap several times at breakfast by the waitress.

Then it came time for maid service. Well I had a $400 Itouch (ipod) left IN MY SUITCASE which was closed and left by the closet. I come back from lunch and its gone. I never took it out of the room. The only other people to get in the room were the maids who looked like they just got out of jail anyway. Well when I tried to talk to the owner and manager about it, they called me a liar and lauged at me. I cannot begin to explain how badly we were treated here.

NEVER stay at this hotel. It is overpriced and there is nothing were paying extra for here. If you want the southern bed and breakfast feel, try any other hotel on the street down there. But do not give them a penny unless you want a horrible experience like we received.

This is probably the first negative review I have ever given as well.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple