Columns Hotel
Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$243
US$212
US$518
US$468
  • Pool
Le Pavillon Hotel(New Orleans)
US$297
  • Pool
Windsor Court Hotel(New Orleans)
US$903
US$370
US$344
Hotel Mazarin(New Orleans)
US$332
  • Breakfast included
Staybridge Suites New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$752
US$435
US$255
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$178
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsfront porchgarden districtclaw foot bathtubold mansioncharles avenuebottomless mimosasfirst floorawesome barhistoric naturean awesome place to staytrolley runsstreet carswedding guestsstreetcar linetulane universityenjoy your stayw hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I went to college in New Orleans and dreamed of one day staying in this old, grandiose mansion/hotel every time I'd pass it on the street car.

Two years after Katrina, my dream came true. When we walked in, the hotel wreaked of a powerful perfume spray and we could only assume that this strong smell was being used to mask another bad smell. We gave them a pass because as we toured New Orleans, we realized that much of the city was still gravely struggling to get back on it's feet. We were happy to support them, even with the smell, and even though our room on the top floor was pretty crappy and uncomfortable. I appreciate vintage atmospheres, which is why we chose The Columns, but the decor was just dated and tasteless. We were very disappointed, but again, we had a lot of compassion in our hearts for New Orleans at the time.

We stayed there recently again, and the powerful perfume smell had diminished a bit, but it was still there. The place has beautiful architectural details but they seem to be taking preserving the home's original feel a bit too far, and don't bother to update or improve anything. The first night, they had overbooked our room and so we got to stay in one of the nicest rooms, #8 on the 2nd floor. We were impressed; the super high ceilings, the spacious bathroom, tasteful decor, the view of St. Charles (although beware, that street car is pretty loud as it passes and the sound irked our two small kids making it difficult for them to get to sleep). It didn't bother me though. I personally like the noise of the streetcar.

The next night we were moved to room 17, far less impressive; The floor leading to the bathroom dipped so much that I thought I'd topple over every time I walked over it. Also, I am not a big believer in ghosts, but we definitely had some disturbing experiences during our stay: One day after coming back from a day out, we found a large splatter of blood on the baseboard in the bathroom. Mind you, the cleaning lady had already come in to clean our room before we left out for the day, while we were at breakfast. My husband told the cleaning lady that we refused to clean it because it wasn't ours. She told him she understood and proceeded to tell us about a couple of other ghostly experiences of other guests and even herself!

That second night I heard horrible, loud scratching all night long. It was so loud and terrible that I could not sleep. My kids slept through it as did my husband, but he still heard it and told me that it was just something outside the door, but I knew it was something inside the room. I thought perhaps there really was a ghost in there, I turned on the light, walked around the area the scratching came from but saw nothing. I decided to leave the light on, since the noise stopped once the light was on. Finally, the light was bothering me so and I was so sleepy, I turned it off. Only 10 minutes later, the loud scratching returned. I dealt with the scratching til sunset when it stopped. I got no sleep.

My husband refused to believe that any ghosts existed, but he went ahead and admitted to me that one day while standing outside of our door, one of the heavy, plastic Do Not Disturb signs was flapping about as it hung on the door knob. He told himself it must be a strong draft, but there was no draft, and no reason for the sign to flap around like that without anyone touching it.

Besides the "disturbances", this hotel draws a large, loud, college crowd several nights a week and especially on weekends. The music is loud and we could hear it in our room and the people sitting outside on the porch are loud and can be heard inside the room. And don't come into the hotel during the peak party hours or you will have to bombard your way passed all the revelers who will be totally oblivious to the fact that you are trying to pass by with all your luggage.

The good news (or bad, you decide) is that when we got home, I realized the loud scratching noise was not a ghost after all. When I took out our bags of chips and cookies that were tightly sealed inside of another bag that was sitting up off the floor in a chair, I found the bags had been eaten into by some God-awful critter that I am just thankful I didn't see that night! It was a terrible thought, as my 2 year old had been sleeping in a playpen that sat close to the floor! Of course with that noise, I was checking on her often anyway. I'm tellin' you, something very strong tore into those bags and had to be fairly large to get up on the chair and make that kind of noise. It was no mouse and more likely a large rat!

So these things come along with old houses that haven't been updated: ghosts, critters, uneven floors, etc. But, I have decided that this was too much for me and I would recommend The Columns only for music, partying and hanging out at the bar and on the porch with all the others, just so you can soak up the old mansion feel. Sleeping there; I cannot recommend that.

The hot breakfast was nice, and the staff were nice enough but there have got to be many other hotels in New Orleans that have that old world feel and good service without all the drawbacks of The Columns. We will look for one of those next time.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank ClarityG
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Columns hotel. I found the staff extremely friendly and personable and it was a real treat compared to staying at a larger chain hotel. I stayed in room 23 and as a reasonably fit 30 year old, had no issues with using the staircase although this would be something to consider depending on your physical condition. I found the building itself beautiful and nostalgic. The bar downstairs was great to meet both locals and other tourists alike. I had a fantastic stay.

The location is absolutely gorgeous and it was nice to stay a little out of the mayhem that the downtown area was (i happened to be in town during the Bayou Classic).

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank rubber_boots
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Columns immensely and you might too, depending on what you are looking for. Clearly people's opinions are all over the map. I stayed here for three nights on a weekend when we had a function planned at The Columns. The price was reasonable considering that it came with a full breakfast. The hotel is in a big old house right on St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans' Garden District. This is very convenient if you want to take public transportation to many NOLA attractions since the streetcar runs right in front of the hotel and goes to the French Quarter for $1.25.

I stayed on the third floor and was happy I did. The bar on the first floor does a brisk business and is open late most nights and could be noisy. Many people seem to hang out at the bar in the evenings. The hotel's wireless did not reach to my room so I had to go to the lobby to use it. The hotel had an elevator but I don't know if it was for general use so I climbed 58 stairs to go to my room. Not a big deal for me, clearly a dealbreaker for others. The stairwell is paneled in dark wood and decorated with wall murals and stained glass with an impressive stained glass skylight at the top of it. The whole place is tastefully decorated in similar ways with statues and neat furniture and light fixtures. Nothing in this place is new, I think that's part of its appeal, you might not.

My room, room 26, had a giant bed that was elevated so high off the floor that there were portable steps to climb into it. There were ample pillows and nice bedding and a comfy carpet with plenty of drawers to put things away into. There were also dark curtains which made the room great for sleeping. The room had nice prints on the wall, and a mismatched series of lamps. The AC worked great and there was also a ceiling fan and an old but functional TV. The bathroom was pretty basic [stall shower, no tub, sink, toilet] but clean and while there was a lot of soap provided, there were just a few random-seeming sample sized shampoo bottles provided. Each room seems totally different and I was happy with my room and didn't see the need to pay extra for a corner room.

Every staff member I spoke with was polite and friendly and available for local questions and transportation arrangements. The event we had at The Columns was terrific and we felt well-supported by both staff and management. The place is definitely funky. If you're looking for a top of the line place, this is not it. That said, if you're looking for an interesting and midrange place to stay without staying in a chain hotel I'd strongly suggest it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jessamyn
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Lets start by saying that the Hotel is set in old fashion, Its a Historic hotel, So what would you be looking for. We stayed for 3 Nights and had Sunday brunch the afternoon before we departed. You cannot go to New Orleans with out having Brunch. We had a wonderful time on the porch (even with the heat), I am sorry, its called a Veranda in the south. The Chef name is Chris Wilson and the food was prepared to the Tea. The shrimp and grits, the gumbo, and the bread pudding is to die for.
So even if you dont stay at the Columns , Please have brunch there, Its a Meal you will never forget

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Stayed here and was very very disappointed. There wasn't a mattress pad on the bed and the sheet was ill-fitting so most of the mattress was exposed. The tiles in the shower were green with mold and the paint was peeling off the wall in places. The room was dusty and the decor is old and shabby and NOT shabby chic, just plain OLD and CHEAP. The staff was friendly but the rooms were just awful. There weren't any little bottles of shampoo/conditioner or those little touches that make a hotel experience. The duvet was stained and clearly had not been washed in a very long time. Breakfast was very greasy/oily and the menu had 4 items on it. Just do not stay here, it was bad and EXPENSIVE!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple