“great place for relaxing drinks and light meal”
Review of Columns Hotel

Columns Hotel
Ranked #121 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Did not stay here on this trip, but enjoyed wine and cocktails on the large porch overlooking St. Charles.
Service was great; the menu looked inviting, but we had dinner plans elsewhere.
The Columns is a terrific, relaxing place to kick back with a drink and reflect on the beauty of old New Orleans.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluffvilla

Reviewed 17 January 2011

We have stayed at the Columns Hotel many times because we love the location, the people and the beautiful front porch bar facing St Charles Ave. The staff is wonderful and the breakfast is delightful. The bedrooms, however, really need attention. The blinds in the windows have layers of dust on them, the bed linens and towels are Motel 6 quality, and the bathtub really needed reglazing. We couldn't even get the tiny radio to work during our last stay. This lovely St Charles jewel deserves more than this and with rooms ranging in price from $160 to $230/night on weekends, guests should experience better.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susupapa
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I attempted to make reservations over the phone with the gracious clerk, who took my information and said I would receive a reservation confirmation via email. After no confirmation came, I called back to learn the room was booked but another room was available which I, again, booked. When no confirmation came, I called back to hear that room was also booked. Which leads one to believe you could speak to the reservation clerk, request a room, receive assurances that the room was reserved, and arrive at the hotel only to find you are OUT OF LUCK!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank davidscottparker
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Columns Hotel this past weekend and we loved it! The atmosphere is wonderful and has everything to do with the 1833 architecture which includes ceilings that must be 18 feet high. The staff is very friendly and helpful as well. I think the room price, $120 for room # 13 , is very reasonable especially since it includes breakfast off the menu, not continental. It is definitely a hang-out for locals on the weekend evenings but that makes more appealing to me; better than being with a bunch of other tourists in the French Quarter. The bar is really neat with lots of dark wood and mirrors and the front porch is another great place to relax with a drink. My husband and I will definitely back in Feb to visit my daughter and I can't wait!

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank mnolan1
Reviewed 1 June 2010

The Columns Hotel is a great little historic hotel on St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans. The hotel has several charming historic rooms and a great balcony to look out upon the garden district at night. One of the best parts of the hotel is its historic bar that is all the more charming considering the small size of the hotel itself. We really had a great time at the Columns. We had the Sunday brunch and it was very enjoyable but with all of the awesome offerings in the city for food I'm not sure that I would eat at the hotel vs. a local restaurant the next time. Highly recommended and a great value!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank keepinitlocal
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I went to college in New Orleans and dreamed of one day staying in this old, grandiose mansion/hotel every time I'd pass it on the street car.

Two years after Katrina, my dream came true. When we walked in, the hotel wreaked of a powerful perfume spray and we could only assume that this strong smell was being used to mask another bad smell. We gave them a pass because as we toured New Orleans, we realized that much of the city was still gravely struggling to get back on it's feet. We were happy to support them, even with the smell, and even though our room on the top floor was pretty crappy and uncomfortable. I appreciate vintage atmospheres, which is why we chose The Columns, but the decor was just dated and tasteless. We were very disappointed, but again, we had a lot of compassion in our hearts for New Orleans at the time.

We stayed there recently again, and the powerful perfume smell had diminished a bit, but it was still there. The place has beautiful architectural details but they seem to be taking preserving the home's original feel a bit too far, and don't bother to update or improve anything. The first night, they had overbooked our room and so we got to stay in one of the nicest rooms, #8 on the 2nd floor. We were impressed; the super high ceilings, the spacious bathroom, tasteful decor, the view of St. Charles (although beware, that street car is pretty loud as it passes and the sound irked our two small kids making it difficult for them to get to sleep). It didn't bother me though. I personally like the noise of the streetcar.

The next night we were moved to room 17, far less impressive; The floor leading to the bathroom dipped so much that I thought I'd topple over every time I walked over it. Also, I am not a big believer in ghosts, but we definitely had some disturbing experiences during our stay: One day after coming back from a day out, we found a large splatter of blood on the baseboard in the bathroom. Mind you, the cleaning lady had already come in to clean our room before we left out for the day, while we were at breakfast. My husband told the cleaning lady that we refused to clean it because it wasn't ours. She told him she understood and proceeded to tell us about a couple of other ghostly experiences of other guests and even herself!

That second night I heard horrible, loud scratching all night long. It was so loud and terrible that I could not sleep. My kids slept through it as did my husband, but he still heard it and told me that it was just something outside the door, but I knew it was something inside the room. I thought perhaps there really was a ghost in there, I turned on the light, walked around the area the scratching came from but saw nothing. I decided to leave the light on, since the noise stopped once the light was on. Finally, the light was bothering me so and I was so sleepy, I turned it off. Only 10 minutes later, the loud scratching returned. I dealt with the scratching til sunset when it stopped. I got no sleep.

My husband refused to believe that any ghosts existed, but he went ahead and admitted to me that one day while standing outside of our door, one of the heavy, plastic Do Not Disturb signs was flapping about as it hung on the door knob. He told himself it must be a strong draft, but there was no draft, and no reason for the sign to flap around like that without anyone touching it.

Besides the "disturbances", this hotel draws a large, loud, college crowd several nights a week and especially on weekends. The music is loud and we could hear it in our room and the people sitting outside on the porch are loud and can be heard inside the room. And don't come into the hotel during the peak party hours or you will have to bombard your way passed all the revelers who will be totally oblivious to the fact that you are trying to pass by with all your luggage.

The good news (or bad, you decide) is that when we got home, I realized the loud scratching noise was not a ghost after all. When I took out our bags of chips and cookies that were tightly sealed inside of another bag that was sitting up off the floor in a chair, I found the bags had been eaten into by some God-awful critter that I am just thankful I didn't see that night! It was a terrible thought, as my 2 year old had been sleeping in a playpen that sat close to the floor! Of course with that noise, I was checking on her often anyway. I'm tellin' you, something very strong tore into those bags and had to be fairly large to get up on the chair and make that kind of noise. It was no mouse and more likely a large rat!

So these things come along with old houses that haven't been updated: ghosts, critters, uneven floors, etc. But, I have decided that this was too much for me and I would recommend The Columns only for music, partying and hanging out at the bar and on the porch with all the others, just so you can soak up the old mansion feel. Sleeping there; I cannot recommend that.

The hot breakfast was nice, and the staff were nice enough but there have got to be many other hotels in New Orleans that have that old world feel and good service without all the drawbacks of The Columns. We will look for one of those next time.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank ClarityG
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Columns hotel. I found the staff extremely friendly and personable and it was a real treat compared to staying at a larger chain hotel. I stayed in room 23 and as a reasonably fit 30 year old, had no issues with using the staircase although this would be something to consider depending on your physical condition. I found the building itself beautiful and nostalgic. The bar downstairs was great to meet both locals and other tourists alike. I had a fantastic stay.

The location is absolutely gorgeous and it was nice to stay a little out of the mayhem that the downtown area was (i happened to be in town during the Bayou Classic).

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo