“Well located, comfortable, good value”

Marquette House New Orleans International Hostel
Houston, Texas
“Well located, comfortable, good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hostel only a block away from the St. Charles streetcar, is a great base from which to explore the WW2 museum, Audubon Park, ride over to Camellia Grill past Tulane, or take the streetcar all the way to its end at Bourbon Street. The private room I stayed in has all the basics, and the place is more restful, quiet than some other hostels around. Enough parking along the street, and a good number of diners, pubs, restaurants, small shops in the area.

Room Tip: Private rooms in former school building are a good value.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TexasDouglas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

The ol' marquette house in New Orleans. It turns out New Orleans is a very expensive place to book hotels or hostels, that's where the Marquette House comes in. Located a block off of St. Charles street the marque room is somewhat, sorta, kinda conveniently located, near downtown new orleans. My favourite part about this hostel is they allow pets. Papa Roach, stayed with us for three nights only making an appearance once mostly keeping to himself in a dark moist nook in the wall.

The amenities were unbelievable. The heat never turned off, mostly because it didn't have an on off switch. The beauty about this is you can crank the AC at full blast and the room stays exactly the same temperature it would've been had there been no heater or AC!

What else can I say, I never felt the need shower in this beauty of a hostel, mostly because the cold water tap didn't turn on. I'm a guy who like a nice HOT shower and let me tell you, it'll provide the hottest shower you can ever imagine. My tactic? Stand outside of the bath tub and place your head under the shower just until your scalp begins to burn. This will allow you to de-grease your hair and fool other travellers into thinking you recently had a shower. It also provides a nice stench on the airplane home that your neighbours get to enjoy.

Lastly, the biggest beauty about this hostel is the view. If you pull up a chair just behind the fence you can soak the locals in their habitat. Lots of board line homeless fellows riding by on bikes. Lots of guys who look like they might try to jump the fence and steal your laptop. We found our little spot behind the fence because the wifi is located across the street in the main house and failed to reach our room.

The memories were priceless.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dan733

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

DO NOT stay here EVER. My husband and I were literally travelling (backpacking) around the world and we have stayed in many places of varying qualities as we were on a tight budget, but this was without doubt the WORST. Let me add that we had been all over Brazil, Chile, Cuba and even Jamaica but this was disgusting. Staff were appalling. Place was a mess.

I had of course tried to research before going here and there were some comments about bed bugs and other issues but because of the location we thought we'd try it as it was only going to be 4 nights. I did not sleep at all and woke up to find I was covered in bed bugs which were swelling up and became infected. We got up went straight into town and chose a hotel that was amazing. Returned to Marquette house and checked out immediately. Would never go back ever. Would prefer to sleep on the street.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joy C
Shelby, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

It is 2 blocks from a bus or streetcar directly to Burbon Street. Good security. No lockers. Reliable coffee. common room and garden. Wi-fi only--no computers. Charged almost double for New Years Eve and Day. Clean linen and towel. Travel advice. I didn't get the bunk I was assigned--someone else was in it. Adequate showers and toilets. I would stay again

Room Tip: Check out the bed before paying.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Great fast cleaning stafff fun .personalities and a great rate dorm rooms . Plus the best service qaint courtyards bbq'd pits to grill out and friends of. A .lifetime u will .make at that table in courtyards.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank friutygurl88
Delft, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Looking for a lastminute bed in New Orleans last summer I ended up going to the Marquette. Most other hostels where fully booked but the location didnt seem that bad and I decided to take a bed. Upon arriving I should have known, while most hostels where full, the marquette was mostly empty.
The first night was ok-ish. I was fairly tired, and particularly hammered when i finally went to bed. The next day however it was raining and upon arriving after a day in the city i came back to find my bed completely soaked because of a leak in the roof right above my bed. Hammered as I was I decided to move take another bed and pass out there.
On the third day i woke up with the particular bites of bedbugs all over my legs (not aware at that time). I stayed a total of three nights and then finally decided to switch and I moved to the India Hostel which I can strongly recommend.

Overall:
Pro's: the location is allright and they will probably have a bed free 99% of the time
Cons: Dirty, run down, bedbuginfested hostel. The kitchen area and other public spaces are possibly even worse than the rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Krinosh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I've stayed at a number of different hostels over several trips to New Orleans. Marquette House is by far the worst placed I've been to. Two positive points: good location in Garden District, a minute from St.Charles streetcar, and also no bedbugs. That's about it. The hostel is occupied by several locals getting drunk from morning to evening in the backyard, listening to cockrock on an old radio. The rooms smelled like **** and dirty feet, they never clean the showers or the toilets. No hand soap or paper towels anywhere. Staff nowhere to be seen, wi-fi is a joke. It's a very rundown building. It's sad and grim. I know it's just 20 bucks a night but for the same price you could be at Bourbon Hostel a few blocks away in Garden District, or at India House.

• Stayed May 2012