“Comfortable Home Base for Jazz Fest”

Wyndham La Belle Maison
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 May 2012

For my 6th consecutive Jazz Fest, my MIL arranged for us to spend 3 nights here using her vacation club points. Although I typically prefer a French Quarter location for my regular New Orleans visits, the hotel was located just behind Canal Street Sheraton, where the Jazz Fest shuttles arrive and depart, so it was definitely convenient for us.

We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit, which we shared wtih another couple. The unit was spacious and very attractively decorated in tropical/colonial style, and even had a full kitchen (which we used to cool our wine). Most standard hotel-type amenities were available to us, though a change of sheets and towels (unnecessary for 3 nights) would have been for an extra charge.

It seems that the former function of the building -- a printing plant, I believe -- resulted in some design challenges, one of which was that some of the units have no exterior windows. Ours was one of them. The lack of any natural light played some havoc with our body clocks, and we all slept much longer than usual. I would have preferred the light.

Also, as clean and well-maintained as most of the unit was, the bathrooms could have used some updating. That en suite bath, in particular, had stained grout in the shower and on the floor.

Notwithstanding my nit-picking, I would definitely stay here again if I could have a unit with external windows.

2  Thank RedSabre

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Even on a weekend as busy as Jazz Fest( and believe me its packed) this was an excellent stay! These guys are top of the line! Our room was great and quite but just a few blocks off all the action! The employees are the best, they go above and beyond! Gene in Valet and Micheal at the front desk made our stay! Mr. Gene even walked us to our dinner location so we didnt get lost, who else does that! I will only stay here from now on! This was my 12th Jazz Fest so I have stayed everywhere in NOLA and this is the best!

1  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed 29 April 2012

As a Wyndham vacation owner, this was a return trip and stay at this location. After the last trip, we fell in love with this place. Perfect location just off the French Quarter, river and warehouse district. Walking distance to whatever you want or need. The room (Presidental suite) was very nice and roomy. We brought another couple with us to visit NO for the first time and they were simmply blown away. The staff was their usual awsome selves and it was quits an enjoyable stay!

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Everything about this hotel was comfortable, in the nicest sense of the word. We stayed in a one bedroom and it was huge. I don't generally recommend a one bedroom for four adults, but in this instance (assuming two adults would be comfortable on the pullout sofa), the space would have been more than sufficient. My husband can be a restless sleeper on vacation, but he deemed the bed and bedding to be (what else) very comfortable. The location was great...a comfortable two block walk to the French Quarter, two blocks to Harrahs Casino, or a two block walk to catch the trolley to get to the Garden District or out to Tulane University. Getting around New Orleans is easy...their buses, trolleys and trams making riding public transportation a breeze. However, if you want to go by taxi, just ask the valet guys to hail a cab for you. We never waited more than 5 minutes. The staff here were wonderful. If you stay here, ask for Alice, the concierge. She was funny, and friendly, and most helpful with tour and restaurant suggestions.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank artsletters
Reviewed 25 April 2012

A great location and facility. Located 3 blocks from the Convention Center, casino, the "quarter" and the St. Charles Streetcar. It would be difficult to beat.

Room Tip: If you need an outside window be sure to ask. Some room overlook an inside courtyard
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of January and found this to be a perfect place to stay. The location is ideal--close to the French Quarter, but away from all the crowds. The room we were in was very spacious and beautifully decorated.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in March - my only regret is that we couldn't get a room on the last night we stayed in the city, so had to move elsewhere. Rooms (well, apartments) were huge - bigger than my 1-bed flat in London! We had an outer room with windows though - not sure if the inner rooms were smaller and I would definitely make sure I asked for an outer room if I stayed again.

Having a kitchenette was really handy, as was an actual dining table. It was a bit weird having no windows in the bedroom but it wasn't an issue really. TV in the bedroom as well as the living room was a luxury. Decor was good throughout the hotel.

I know some people here have complained previously about the pushy timeshare sellers - the check-in guys directed us to them after we'd been given keys and we foolishly went not realising - but then as soon as they started talking about free tours and city maps we just politely said we had everything we needed and left. When we got back to the room the next day after being out all day there was paper pushed under the door to say someone was going to come and knock on our door at 10am in the next day to talk to us about a free city tour - luckily the jetlag got us up early and we weren't there (if I was trying to lie in I might have been annoyed to be woken!). After that we heard nothing more.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple