“The kind of holiday experience you dream of!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #43 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
New Norfolk, Australia
“The kind of holiday experience you dream of!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our wonderful Dauphine House experience began even before we left Australia. Karen contacted me via email and couldn't have been more lovely. She also had some helpful tips regarding how much a cab from the airport should cost. When we arrived after our very long flight, Karen greeted us like long lost friends.
One big tip - place close attention to the information Karen gives you when you arrive, her recommendations are invaluable. If there is anything you want/need to know about New Orleans, her knowledge of the city is remarkable. Nothing is ever too much trouble for Karen (she even lent us a cell phone to take out with us to use for local calls, or if we needed to get in touch with her).
We stayed in the purple room for 6 nights. As others have posted everything was spotlessly clean, and the breakfast basket and fridge were replenished daily. I was travelling with a friend, so Karen had a single bed set up in the room in addition to the existing queen bed. We were both very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the mattresses were. I have a very bad back, and I slept like a baby every night.
The location is fantastic, we walked everywhere. You are literally just around the corner from Bourbon Street, and 2 blocks away from Frenchman Street. I can honestly say I was never worried about our safety. We were sensible and always got a cab back after 10 o'clock at night (it's around $10 including tip from the French Quarter).
Another couple of tips - The Port of Call Restaurant is literally 2 mins walk away (on Esplanade Ave), their steaks and burgers are excellent! We dined there on our first night (on Karen's recommendation), and ended up going again another night because we enjoyed it so much.
Esplanade Mini Mart - also just at the end of the street (cnr Dauphine and Esplanade), great for any essentials you may have forgotten. They also have an ATM, which can really come in handy. It's clean and the staff were very friendly.
I would not hesitate to stay at Dauphine House again, in fact I wouldn't even look elsewhere. I have stayed in many hotels and B & B's around the world, but none of them come close to the experience that Karen offers. From booking to check out every aspect of our holiday was perfect.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

There is probably no better place to stay in New Orleans than Dauphine House! The location is perfect: in any moment I felt I was in danger, it was very close to nice and cheap places to eat, drink, listen to music or just walk and everything was in a walk distance. Besides the location, Karen takes care of every detail to make everything perfect and is always concerned if everything is ok. When me and my boyfriend was planning the trip, I was worried about the cleanliness of the place where we would stay and we had absolutely no problem with that. In my opinion, big chains of hotels are depersonalized and they really don't care about you and your well being. You're just one more. At Dauphine House, Karen's was the whole time very attentive and gave us valuable tips to enjoy the city.

Room Tip: My tip is about the map she gives in the first day: it has great and affordable places to go and vis...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Giovana123
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

The Dauphine House is the place you ought to stay if you are visiting New Orleans. My wife and I stayed for our honeymoon and were ever so pleased with our decision to stay here. Karen provided local advice on where to see/eat nearby and was so hospitable; offering us whatever we needed to make our stay the best it could be. We thought we might need to use the transit system but there was no need as we were within walking distance of everything we wanted to see in and around the French Quarter. Access from I-10 is easy, we never had trouble finding parking, and our safety never came into question. One of the main concerns of first time visitors to New Orleans (our concern as well) is safety, and from the Dauphine House into the Quarter is a really nice stretch of neighborhood.

Room Tip: Either room is great, but from what we saw of the red room it would be the best choice as it has a l...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon B
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I have traveled to New Orleans Many times, stayed in many fine hotels there, but after finding the
Dauphine House and meeting Karen I'll never stay anywhere else. The accommodations are warm , cozy and quiet. Great for couples and solo. The location is within walking distance to everything in the French Quarter.
area.

Room Tip: All 3 rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lee M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

The location is perfect, not too far from the center and near the Frenchman street (which is what I imagined burbon street would be like, and soon find out it's not...).
Karen was so nice, she took care of us (we stayed at New Orleans for a conference) and recommended on all the great places to go to and even invited us to a ghost tour :)
We will definately come back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the purple room and loved it!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sigih1
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

First time visitors to NOLA. Our three day stay in late March was truly a delight. Room was cozy, quaint, and thoughtfully appointed. Sightseeing, entertainment, and great dining all within easy walking distance. And finally Karen. Such a great hostess, resource, and a fountain of knowledge on local culture and history. Having experienced B&B's across the country we highly recommend Dauphine House.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jerry G
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Dauphine House in late February for a few days of sightseeing and exploring. Karen was so gracious and kind to us before we even arrived--she made sure that we knew our options about getting from the airport to the hotel without getting ripped off or getting stuck with public transit woes.

When we arrived, she spent at least a half an hour with us, happy to explain things I'm sure she'd explained a million times--where to eat, where to play, how to take the streetcars, etc. She has such a positive attitude, and you can tell she absolutely loves her city. She'd made up a map with her favorite haunts, and they were spot on. We ate at half of the places she recommended, and none disappointed (try the shrimp and goat cheese crepes at Muriel's in Jackson Square!).

I also appreciated that she was very honest about the surroundings. Although the B&B is located in the charmingly subdued Marigny, she did not sugar coat the safety situation--she advised us to take a cab or pedicab home from the Quarter past 10 o'clock at night, just to be on the safe side.

Karen aside, the room was also wonderful. It was a little dark for my own tastes, with dark furnishings and purple wallpaper plus minimal natural light, but it was clean, homey, and felt fresh every day after Karen came to clean things up. I was amazed that there was not a speck of dust anywhere--how is that possible?! The room came with a mini fridge stocked with OJ, a microwave, coffee maker (plus chicory coffee!), and cups, utensils, and plates. Every morning when she cleans the room, Karen leaves a basket of fresh pastries and bananas.

My only complaint is that the sound travelled into our room from several other rooms early in the morning. At 7:30 one morning, we were kept awake by the sound of someone in the private part of the house that shared a door with our room, and also the booming voice of the guest across the hallway. Other than that, we heard not a peep!

It's great value for what you're getting, and you couldn't be in better hands.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple