“Center to everything! Great stay!”
Review of Inn on Ursulines

Inn on Ursulines
Ranked #45 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a few days in early November 2013. It is central to just about everything in the French Quarter and easy walking distance to shops and restaurants. 2 or 3 blocks from the French Market and Cafe Du Monde. Between Royal Street and Bourbon Street.

The staff is very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. The guy that checked us in at nearly midnight when we came in after a long flight offered us many ideas for 24 hour food delivery as we were tired and hungry. I forget one of the lady's name at the front desk, maybe Mimi? Anyway, we had to check out and back in on our second to last day, our booking mistake in advance, not theirs. She made the process so easy and we didn't even have to change rooms. When I was asking about those little voodoo dolls they sell at all the shops she told me they used to have those they would give as little gifts to the guests, I said I wish they still gave them out because I thought it was a cool idea. When we got home from our day outing in the quarter there was a little bag with five of them in our room with a note from the front desk. I thought that was really kind of them.

While we had a bottom floor street room we didn't feel there was any lack of privacy. We stayed in room #1 and I don't think it borders any other room wall to wall so the only noise we heard at night were the occasional car driving down Ursulines. The hotel and room was clean and well kept. The court yard is really cute and has a little hot tub in the back. I thought the whole experience was just delightful.

I would stay here again if we are in town.

Room Tip: I say if you want to be street side ask for room #1. One side of the room is a breezeway used for st...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karl w
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on Ursulines, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Inn on Ursulines with us and others on TripAdvisor. We are pleased you found the whole experience to be so delightful and we look forward to having you back again upon your next trip to New Orleans!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for five nights around hallowe'en, and we had a great time. The staff were fantastic, very professional but also laid back and easy to chat to, and gave us some great advice about places to find things around the city. They also booked some tours for us and advised us on where to find some costumes for hallowe'en.

The rooms are all off a small courtyard which also has a hot tub. The courtyard has wrought-iron chairs and tables outside, and also an ice machine. The room we stayed in was one of the smaller ones on the ground floor, which was fine as we were staying as a couple, and who comes to NOLA to stay in their room? The only small issue is that there were no windows so it got a little stuffy at times when we were out all day, but when we returned we left the door open and turned up the fan which easily aired the room (and we didn't feel there was any security risk leaving the door open). Each room also has an AC unit and Keurig machine (there is also a small fridge and more coffee in the reception area). The bathroom was nice too, looked like it had been recently refurbished. I noticed some of the reviews said there was a problem with noise from rooms above, but we didn't experience this at all. Our room did have a door that could be used to join two rooms together (e.g. if a family or group was staying), and we only heard the other guests on a couple of occasions, but this really was not a problem. The other guests were kind, and easy to initiate conversation with, e.g. in the courtyard area.

The location of this place is excellent, being in the French Quarter and a short walk from Frenchman Street, but just enough away from all the craziness of Bourbon street (so you can still get some decent sleep). The area felt very safe, and there is a pastry shop (the hotel doesn't serve breakfast, not a problem but just FYI…) and 24-hour store a block away (Verti Marte does amazing sandwiches, great for on the way home from the bar at 3am!).

If you are not a fan of the big chain hotels, but want a bit more than a B&B, this place is perfect. I've already recommended the Inn on Ursulines to other people, and will certainly stay again if I return to New Orleans!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen M

Thank you so much for recommending the Inn on Ursulines to others based off of your stay with us over Halloween / Voodoo Fest, as it is truly the highest form of compliment! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to be to your liking. Thank you again for your kind feedback and we look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We chose the French Quarter Guest Houses for our honeymoon/birthday trip. Our stay at the Inn on Ursulines was absolutely fabulous from start to finish. The rooms are very safe, clean, updated and yet still keep with the authentic “French Quarter” feel that one would expect from staying in the heart of The Quarter. There was a Keurig in every room stocked Emeril Lagasse K-cups, and even tea K-Cups were provided as well. We did have one small problem in our first room in regards to a malfunctioning air conditioner leaking all night, but one word to Jennifer at the front desk soon set things to right. We were in another room, unpacked and relaxing within a half hour. Each room was unique in architecture, but the amenities were still as nice as the other room. The only down side was that the showers were a bit snug in the first room, but the spacing was better in the second. Still, this is not a deal breaker for such a cute little place. I liked the touches of the wrought iron patio sets next to each room on the ground level. The ground level rooms are perfect for senior citizens, those with disabilities, and those with small children as the upper level rooms are reachable by steps that are somewhat steep.

I had the absolute pleasure of working with the Pre-Stay Concierge, DeAun, in regards to a surprise I had in mind for my husband. She was a delight! DeAun was full of ideas, and each built on my surprise, making it even better than I imagined it could have been. She was also very accommodating and went above and beyond in her efforts to locate that one special item, even taking the time on her day off to visit a few shops for me!! DeAun is a true gem there, and I would most HIGHLY recommend speaking to her if this is your first trip to The Big Easy! She is full of knowledge of the night life, restaurants and “must-do’s” that only a person who is from New Orleans could tell you about. I simply cannot say enough about her, and thank her enough for helping to make our honeymoon and birthday so memorable!!

So, to sum up, a BIG thumbs up for the Inn on Ursulines, a BIGGER thumbs up to DeAun for being the supreme Southern Hostess, and a hearty YES to anyone who is considering staying with the French Quarter Guest Houses!!

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are good for seniors, people with disabilities and those with small children...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank STACEY L
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on Ursulines, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

We are so pleased you found the Inn on Ursulines to be so "fabulous" and chose it over so many other options to celebrate your honeymoon and birthday trip in September! It sounds like it was everything you were looking for from your clean and safe guestroom to our friendly and helpful staff. We are thrilled to hear that DeAun, our pre-arrival concierge, was able to make your trip so special by helping organize the surprise for you and being the "supreme southern hostess!" Thank you so much for the kind feedback and we look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Inn on Ursulines for three nights and this was by far the best hotel experience I've ever had! Concierge and the housekeeping staff are wonderful! They were very kind and accommodating. The customer service was outstanding and they made us feel right at home. The room was very cozy and clean. The best part was the extremely comfortable bed! I loved it so much that I wished I could take it with me back to Houston. They provide offsite private parking that is only a few blocks away and this was a definite plus for us. The Inn is very quaint and charming with a great location in the French Quarter. It is close to the corner of Bourbon St. and Ursulines in a safe and quiet area at a walking distance to everything. There is a great little pastry shop just across the street that provides yummy homemade french pastries--perfect for breakfast or brunch. This hotel is perfect for couples and I will recommend this place to all of my friends and family! I can't say enough good things about this place! I hope that you will have the same great experience that I did.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rachel G
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on Ursulines, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

To hear that your recent stay at the Inn on Ursulines was the "best hotel experience" you've ever had is truly music to our ears! We are so pleased you found our housekeeping and front desk staff to be so wonderful and accommodating, as well as your guest room to be so clean and comfortable! We appreciate your kind remarks and look forward to having you back again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This is a great hotel. My family of four had plenty of space in our double queen room. The stairs were a little steep and narrow but that is a minor issue compared to the friendly staff and location. Would absolutley stay here again.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem for you ask for a room on the lower level.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Darlene J
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on Ursulines, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

We are so pleased you found your recent stay at the Inn on Ursulines to be so "wonderful!" It sounds like our friendly staff, spacious guestrooms and prime location were exactly what you were looking for! We thank you for your feedback and look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Inn on Ursulines has recently been refurbished and it shows. The rooms are comfortable, very clean, with good water pressure, very comfortable beds and linens. The staff was friendly and responsive and respected guests' desires for either information or privacy. The location on Ursulines between Bourbon and Royal can't be beat for convenience. As a former resident of that part of the Quarter, I was very, very impressed. Its price made it extremely competitive with stalwarts like the Andrew Jackson Hotel and the Place d'Armes: its amenities and comforts, however, blew them out of the water. I recommend it and will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank WKR1969

Thank you so much for the kind remarks regarding your recent stay with us. As a previous resident of the French Quarter, your feedback means so much to us as we know you could have chosen any of the FQ's hotels, as you mentioned. The fact that you felt we blew the big boys out of the water is music to our ears! Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to having you back again upon your return to NOLA to visit your old stomping grounds!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

It seems to be newly refurbished. Our room was spotless and comfortable. The location is great, accessible to everything. The staff was wonderful and even held our luggage on our last day so we could sightsee after check-out. My daughter did not want a standard hotel, but did not want a bed-and-breakfast. This hotel was wonderful and we enjoyed the authentic building with the simple, more modern room decor. The beds were very comfortable, offering a great rest after a day of sightseeing. We stayed in room 2, which opened to the street. The street noise was minimal and we got a great night's sleep and were ready for the next day. Just be aware that the room has no windows, but has two sets of double French doors and solid wood doors on the outside. It did not feel claustrophobic as we would have thought, as there is some light from the outside that comes in on through the cracks on the outer door and the room ac unit works wonderfully, as does the ceiling fan. We thought the step up to the bathroom was part of the charm of the authentic construction. We really have no complaints, it couldn't have been better.
The only suggestion I have for the management is that a chair may be nice and perhaps some hooks in the bathroom. These two items would add comfort, but the lack of them would not prevent us from coming back to this great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank isable1110

We are so thrilled to hear your recent stay at the Inn on Ursulines couldn't have been better! You are correct in noting the rooms have recently been renovated to include all of the modern amenities you would find in a larger chain hotel, while still maintaining the original charm and ambiance of an old New Orleans property. It sounds like we were able to appease your daughter's concerns of not wanting a B&B or a large chain hotel, but rather something in between the two. Lastly, we are pleased to hear our staff was so wonderful, as customer service is our number one priority! We truly appreciate your kind remarks and look forward to having you back again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!