“Charming Quiet Inn Very Close to All The Craziness of NOLA”
Review of Inn on Ursulines

Inn on Ursulines
Ranked #55 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was my first time in NOLA so I really just picked this Inn because of location, quaintness and price. Now that I have a better feel for the French Quarter I have to say I would still pick this Inn. The Inn is restored buildings from the 1830's. Each room is tastefully updated, decorated and unique. The beds were very comfy, the staff very helpful and friendly and even though it has easy access to all in the French Quarter it's on a nice quiet street. I was traveling with my 21 year old daughter and she thought the best part of the trip was the Inn on Ursulines because if was quaint, comfy but really close to the craziness on Bourbon Street. Our only concern was that they have no nearby parking but directed us to a lot they own with a sister property 5 blocks away. The lot is open on street level and my daughter felt nervous leaving her new car there unattended for 4 days. We checked on it a few times and every thing was fine, no one had bothered with her car. They charge $20 per night for parking. Definitely consider stay at this Inn, you won't be disappointed! Ask about their midweek special - 3 nights for the price of 2! A great bargain for such a wonderful Inn!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21 on the first floor with 2 queen beds and will ask for that room again!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2014

First time staying in an Inn as opposed to a hotel (our 3rd time in NOLA) the rooms are very clean and cute, beds are SUPER comfy, bathrooms are clean but the water pressure could have been a little stronger. We happened to have a hot tub outside of our room and it was an excellent surprise. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kasia P
Reviewed 22 April 2014

...without all the craziness, this is a nice place to stay. The courtyard rooms are comfy and fairly quiet. The proprietors are wise enough to put ear plugs in the bedside tables in case things get a little noisy...this is New Orleans, after all ! The rooms are furnished in a crisp, sophisticated style that is clean and inviting. Baths are good sized with nice amenities. I have stayed in more opulent places but this one was a nice balance, close to the heart of the quarter, and in easy walking distance to restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: The street side rooms are, on some nights, noisy. Take earplugs...but the hotel furnishes them, too...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank alleyshop
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Summary: I feel confident in recommending Inn on Ursulines and other properties run by French Quarter Guest Houses, but as in all older properties, if possible, I would request my room carefully.

A caveat before we begin We come down to New Orleans often and prefer to stay in older buildings like The Inn on Ursulines because one gets a better sense of this unique place and its history and charm. If you prefer predictable and generic hotel chains, stay elsewhere. With that in mind, like all hotels in old buildings in the Quarter, every room in the Inn on Ursulines is different and your experience will very greatly depending on the room. The Inn on Ursulines was not my first choice of the French Quarter Guest Houses, but I enjoyed my stay overall and it has a number of advantages and an interesting history as one of the oldest surviving"creole cottages" in the city, allegedly once owned by Marie Laveau, herself. The hotel was recently renovated, which is a plus and the furnishing are modern but not out of place.

PRO:
1) Great Location: This location is what I am looking for in the Quarter. Ursulines is a relatively quiet street, close to the French market, the Square, Royal Street shopping, Bourbon Street’s quieter end *and* is only a short walk to the Marigny with its music clubs where I seem to end up many evenings. Major bonus: it is 2 minute walk to one the best and most charming bakeries/ breakfast spots in New Orleans, Croissant D’Or and to the late night/early morning sandwiches of Verti Marte.

2) Very Clean and Comfortable: we have found that many hotels in NOLA are pretty shabby and do a lousy job of cleaning (sorry, it is true, even the pricier ones) but the housekeeping staff at the Inn were great. They made us feel at home and welcome in true New Orleans style. We found the bed, linens and generous pillows to be very comfortable. No noticeable mold or traces of mildew. This is a significant plus, as mildew can be a big problem in NOLA.

3) Helpful and Friendly Staff. Booking and billing went smoothly. Made us feel especially welcome, and went out of their way to provide advice and answer our questions.

CONS:

1) Noise can be an issue depending on your room (but not necessarily).
Noise is a given problem with older buildings in the Quarter. I am a light sleeper so I have realistic expectations and I bring a white noise machine. We stayed in room 3. Other rooms will be different. Ursulines is relatively quiet street and Room 3 is dark; it only has one window, facing the walkway, which is a plus for sleeping but can be gloomy if you plan on spending a bunch of time in the room. It faces the courtyard with no one directly above it. We slept really well the first night and it was very quiet even though it was the weekend. The other nights were more problematic.

The noise drawbacks in the room are several. 1) There is a connecting room and the noise can be really bad if the person in that room is inconsiderate or unaware of the issue. It sounds as if the person is in the room with you. 2) Noise from the narrow courtyard: If you have considerate fellow guests, no problem, but if not, their party is your party. Some of our fellow guests decided on a very late night party in the courtyard. Luckily, it did not last long enough for me to need to say something, but sleep was impossible at the time. 3) Noise from the street is pretty minimal but you will definitely hear certain really loud sounds (motorcycles, groups of people singing etc, this is true everywhere in the Quarter)

From talking to other guests and seeing the other rooms, my impression is that if you are a light sleeper like me: 1) avoid the ground level rooms facing the street 2) request upper floor, courtyard facing rooms at the ends.

2) Narrow shower
I am a big guy with pretty big shoulders and the amount of room to turn around or lift up an arm is minimal. A very minor negative , but a larger person might have an issue. This is not true for all rooms, as some have larger ones or tubs in addition to showers.

3) Rooms can be very dark or very light
There is a difference in room size and the amount of light in each. Several rooms have minimal to no windows. This is ether a good thing or a bad thing depending on your needs. I did not plan to spend much time in my room except to sleep, so the fact that it was dark was a plus. The upper floor rooms have French doors and much more light and would be better for reading and relaxing in the room during the day.

Despite these minor negatives and based on my otherwise largely positive experience with Inn on Ursulines, I would and will stay again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper like me, avoid the ground level rooms facing the street and try to reque...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jamie M
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is the sort of place you hope for when you go to New Orleans. Quiet, secure and a reasonable price yet is located just steps from all the action.
There is a lovely little courtyard in which to enjoy a break...and the rooms have great charm. The beds are comfortable, quiet and well appointed. Particularly appreciated are the AVEDA toiletries provided.
The staff are helpful and knowledgeable - directing us to Frenchman Street for better jazz than was being provided on Bourbon St. There is also a little store just on the corner that provided enough for breakfast and snacks.

Room Tip: Room 23 is just outside the hottub. This can be either a plus or minus depending on you!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank canadiancraftsman
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

There was a group of 9 of us that stayed here in three different rooms. We stayed for three nights prior to a cruise in February and got to experience the first parade of the Mardi Gras season, which was conveniently located right around the corner from this Inn. We chose this place because of the location and we loved the idea of trying a small inn. The rooms were quaint and cozy, and the beds were comfortable. The staff was incredibly helpful and courteous. We all absolutely loved this place, and would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank 23lmk
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our stay here for 5 nights was fantastic! The staff here are so great, friendly, helpful and always answered any questions. We felt very safe here and the location is perfect. We loved Frenchmen Street and it is just a good distance to both there and Bourbon Street. Our room had been redone with nice bedding, towels and products. Across the street is a French Bakery for breakfast and the Quarter Master Grocery has everything. For the price in this area I think you cannot go wrong. Thanks again to the staff for caring so much.

Room Tip: We had room # 5. It is very quiet and the most private in the Inn. There is no view but we enjoyed...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple