“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #31 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Columbus, Ohio
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great hotel. The rooms are so charming. The beds are very comfy and the staff is unbelievably helpful. Location is great in the heart of the French Quarter. Free coffee and water in the room are a bonus!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 270atb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Finnish first
South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The biggest advantage to staying at this hotel was the location. It was only a short distance about 3 or 4 blocks from all the shops (including the French Market), galleries and bars on Bourbon St., and yet far enough from all the hubbub and the noise. The area for the most part was safe. We didn't really stay out that late, the most maybe 9p; so I can't comment walking very late at night. There were a bunch of haunted tours happening at night so there were always people around. I debated about this hotel and a few other fine accommodations in the area, but this one was the least haunted. I think everything in New Orleans is haunted and frankly I didn't want to worry about that while I'm trying to sleep at night. We got a room on the first floor inside and away from the street. The room size was decent although we felt the stand up shower to be a bit cramp. Not much frills to this hotel, but the most important thing to us was safety and cleanliness; and this hotel had that. In terms of noise, this place was pretty quiet. Although it was adjacent to Bourbon St., it was mostly residential and blocks away from all the partying that happens on the Bourbon St. we see on TV. My wife and I did feel the walls to be a bit thin since we had no problem hearing the conversation happening in the next room.

We enjoyed our stay at the Inn on Ursuline and would highly recommend it. It's ideal for couples, but probably not for kids because of the small tubless bathrooms. It is safe and within walking distance to everything in the French Quarter.

Tip:
For anyone wondering, transportation to and from the hotel is best via a cab. Usual fare for 2 people is $33 each way.

Room Tip: I would get a room on the inside and on the first floor. The walkway to the rooms on the second flo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ericjvilla
Metairie, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The best New Orleans experience you can have. So close to everything without being in the mist of it. We came last year, we're going this year and we will return next year. The rooms are great, bigger then you would expect, and the beds are like clouds. Coming to New Orleans? Your going to love this stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

this was a very quaint hotel with a great location and an excellent value... had an issue with an air conditioner told the front desk about it and they jumped right on it... the location is right in the heart of the French Quarter in between the traditional Bourbon Street party and where the locals hang out.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Wm. O
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Between Bourbon St and Royal St and just far enough from the epicenter of it all. You can be in the middle of the party of Bourbon and within 5 minutes can be in the safety and quietness of your room. Not a bad deal. The Inn claims to have been renovated recently and it shows. My (small) room was just right for what I needed (a place to crash at night in between business meetings). Convenient to the trolly line and to Cafe DoMont. I stayed for 4 nights and didn't need help from the staff, other than the daily cleaning,

Room Tip: I stayed in a room upstairs facing the inner court. If you want quiet and out of the way of others...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Orlando I
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on Ursulines, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We are so pleased to hear you found our location to be so ideal and your guest room to be so clean and newly renovated. It sounds like the Inn on Ursulines was everything you were looking for during your four days in New Orleans for business. We appreciate your kind remarks and hope to have you back again upon your next visit to New Orleans!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The staff is extremely nice and did everything they could to fix the problems but I believe their maintenance crew failed them. The water in the shower was warm at best and the room was never cool. The room is nice and the door stepped out onto the street which might be the reason the a/c in the room could never cool the room to a comfortable temp. The bathroom is nice with a shower and tub but the showers were always warm or cold. The staff said the maintenance crew looked at the hot water heater and nothing was wrong. Parking is $20 a day and about 4 blocks away. No valet so you need to make the trek, thankfully it didn't rain.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karsen76
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on Ursulines, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your recent stay with us and have recently replaced one of our hot water heaters as well as checked all of the A/C's in our guest rooms to ensure they are cooling sufficiently. We would love the opportunity to make it up to you with a future stay at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties as we are sure your next stay with us would be nothing short of excellent.
Chicago
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for three days. Upon arrival in this room after a 14 hour drive, I was very much looking forward to a bath. To my surprise the water ran cold. I thought it was a fluke, so I washed up with cold water, and reserved to shower later. Needless to say, the water never ran warm. We called the front desk three times and were told to let it run. When we said we had, they said they would let their maintenance know. The next day they said the same thing. The day after that, they said there's nothing wrong. I was flabbergasted. We still had no hot water. Three days of cold showers made for an annoying experience. Upon check out, I was asked if the hot water ever worked, and when I said no, I got a "oh sorry bout that." The location and maid service at this hotel is good, but if you like showers above 60 degrees, or good customer service, don't stay here. P.s. after looking at reviews upon returning home, I found out I was not the only one who had this problem in room 4. It's a wonder the front desk was so astonished by this situation. This room should be out of commision until this issue is fixed!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank sylvia_poe
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on Ursulines, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We are so very sorry to hear about your recent issues with our hot water heater during your stay with us and have since replaced the hot water heater for that section of the hotel. We would love to make it up to you with a future stay at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties on us. We hope to hear back from you as we are sure your next stay with us will be nothing short of spectacular.