“Decent hotel”

Super 8 New Orleans
Ranked #95 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Slovak first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We came for 3 nights and we stayed 6!!!! I loved it! It is not a luxurious... But is quiet, safe, clean and the service from the front desk to the house keeper (Ms. Cathy), security and other personal is exellent!!! Is 10 minutes away from the French quarter by car and 30 by bus. The pool area is nice and clean.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mafaldaboricua
Burlington, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is about 10 minutes from downtown, so you aren't in the middle of the "action", but as a family with 2 children we liked being in a quieter area. Though getting to food and the "sights"meant a trip in the car. The hotel was clean, but definitely old. The staff is what makes this hotel. The front desk clerk spent lots of time going over a map of the area (we had never visited New Orleans before) and even told us to take the hotel number and if we needed help while we were out to just call. Our housekeeper, Miss Cathy, was extremely friendly and thorough and even left us a nice note. The building next door is definitely an eye-sore, and when we first pulled up it didn't give us a lot of confidence about staying there, however, I did not feel unsafe at any time during our 2-day stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katherine C
North Carolina
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here 3 nights recently, having chosen the hotel because of its proximity to the RV park where other family members were staying and basing our choice on the TripAdvisor reviews. I knew it was in a less-than-ideal location, but we thought the reviews were more favorable than not. Our room was one (or two, actually) which you see on the photo above...2nd floor, front right as you face the building, with balcony and wrought-iron railing. Reserved as a suite, it is actually 2 regular rooms adjoined by a door. Since it was originally 2 guest rooms, there are 2 entryways into the hallway - one from each room. One of the rooms (front, balcony side) has been changed from bedroom furniture to very uncomfortable den furniture (sofa and love seat) and includes a coffee table. The TV sits on the dresser, and there is also a dorm-type refrigerator in the room with a very small microwave sitting atop it. The benefit of having the suite is that you have two full baths, both very clean although old since this is an older hotel.

The other room (back of suite, hallway side nearer elevator) was the bedroom with a large, comfortable and clean king bed. Each room had a closet as well. A second TV sat on the dresser in the bedroom. A door from the den leads onto the front balcony, and the high wrought iron railing divides the balcony into two sections, the other side of which is the balcony for an identical suite on the other side of the hallway between the two. (Incidentally, the TV remotes were a different brand than the TVs -- and were not universal remotes -- and only turned the TVs on and off. They did not change the channels.)

Now, here are the problems. First, upon our arrival, we checked in and went to our room only to find the door locked from the inside by the chain lock...the key worked, but the door would only open slightly. I called "hello? hello?" several times and finally a teenage girl spoke to me through the crack of the slightly-opened door. She asked me if we needed in the room, and I responded that yes, we did, since we just checked in and were given the key. I asked what she was doing in the room, and she had a TV remote in her hand. She said she was just checking the TV. She shut the door, and we waited in the hallway expecting her to leave...through one of the two doors leading into the hallway. Waited and waited. I finally called on my cellphone down to the desk (unsure what she was doing or who might be with her in the room, I wasn't keen on either my husband or I being left in the hall with all of our stuff while the other went back down to the desk, and there weren't any other guests about at the time in the hallway.) The woman from the front desk came right up, and said the young lady was apparently the daughter of one of the housekeeping staff and described her. I confirmed her description, but said she was apparently still in the room because we were standing there all this time and she had not left. She had, however, apparently removed the chain lock when she shut the door after speaking with me because the desk clerk opened the door with her key and no problem. The girl was nowhere inside. While we were told she probably went out the other door into the hall and we didn't see her, we knew this was not true since we had been standing where we could see both doors and she would have had to walk right by us to leave the hallway, and could only discern that the young girl went out the balcony door and climbed over the railing dividing the two front suites, going into the suite on the other side. (It was also not rented at the time.) We didn't see the young girl again during our stay.

The second problem was with the lack of security. In our room, there was a window, large enough for someone to climb through and with no screen, leading directly from the bedroom into the hallway. Why would there be a window on the INSIDE of the building?? We could only assume that at some point, that must have been the front of the building and the current front rooms added later. I didn't notice the window when we were standing in the hall earlier, having not yet been inside the room or knowing the actual layout at that point. Once inside and seeing it, however, I tried the window and found it was not secured and slid open easily. Had we not noticed it, left our items in the room and gone out, anyone could have climbed directly into the room and taken whatever they pleased. (There was a partially-closed curtain over the window on the inside of the bedroom.) I stepped back into the hallway and saw that the suite on the opposite side of the hall had the same sort of window. Very odd, that window location. Anyway, we were later able to secure the window so that it could not be opened from the hallway, but it gave me an uneasy feeling not knowing how easily it might be pried open from the hallway side by someone with the right tool in hand.

You might think that wasn't really a big deal, and the hotel advertises that it has security on site. However, during our entire stay, we never once saw any sort of security. Indeed, there is what appears to be a security office in the front parking lot. However, there was never anyone in it (or in the parking area) at any time we came or went, including late at night, even though the light in the little "office" was on. The front parking lot (maybe 8 or so spaces) does allow the front desk clerk to see the first few spaces if the clerk is standing at the desk. However, the clerk is not able to see the spaces nearer the street, and there was no clerk at the desk either evening when we returned later to the hotel (10:00pm or so). The remainder of the parking is under the building in the back and is said to be secured. However, anyone can drive or walk in or out of the area at any time, as we found out the one time we had to park under the building. It was at night as well, and there was no security around anywhere outside. Again, you may say this isn't a big deal...unless you see the surrounding area. The tall building seen right next door is totally vacant, windows knocked out, graffiti, a place that would be ideal for squatters with nowhere else to go and an ideal location for drug activity. It would not be easily accessed by any law enforcement officials.

All this being said, the front desk employees were all very nice and helpful, providing lots of local information when asked. Also, the hotel has extremely good and easy access to the I-10 to go into NOLA downtown. And we, while being extremely cautious due to the encounter upon our arrival and the lack of security, had no other problems during our stay. However, because of those things and the current state of the area around the hotel, we would not choose to stay here again. The hotel stay does include a continental breakfast, but we only had coffee there since we were visiting with relatives.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sittingonready
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I decided to stay at the super 8 because it was near where i needed to be and it met my requirements.
Although not fancy,it was very clean,comfortable, affordable, and the staff was terrific. I needed to change my room since the folks in the adjoining rooms were too loud and the staff was great in immediately accommodating me. I travel for business a lot and stay in more upscale places, but you would not find friendlier staff than here. It's located close to a freeway and it's easy to get around the city from here. My only complaint is that I miss more restaurant places in the area but there were plenty of fast food places.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

College Station, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Clean - efficient and above all no parking fee. To go downtown, desk clerk suggested parking in daytime at Uberville and Rampart Str downtown for $5 a day. He was right! easy acces to French quarter just round the corner.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple