“degas view”
Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #63 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2012

great location, rooms are very large, airy,delightful and if you can, get a room with a balcony overlooking esplanade avenue. the breakfasts were to die for (try the french toast) and everyone who works there is very nice and helpful. definately would stay here again!

Room Tip: 2nd floor with balcony overlooking esplanade ave. ab fab! we watched a marathon go by!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank shelly h
degashouse, Owner at Degas House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Thank you for your perfect review of the Edgar Degas House Museum Courtyard & Inn during your stay in New Orleans. We are so glad that you enjoyed our fresh homemade French Toast with our French Creole Breakfast that is served daily for our special guest. The rooms are very spacious and we are happy you had a balcony room overlooking the beautiful Oak trees along Historic Esplanade Ave. Please come and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

During our recent stay in NOLA, my wife and I spent an evening at Degas House enjoying their Bottles and Brushes art program. Neither of us are artists and had a wonderful time. The idea is that you come and enjoy a pre-program cocktail and then a local artist guides you through the process of completing your own painting based on one of the works of artist Edgar Degas. You actually paint in the same studio where he worked while he lived with family in New Orleans. We had a great time. It was really fun, totally casual, and we both ended up with pieces we were proud of. Cost is very reasonable. Starts at 530 and ends by about 8-830, early enough that we had dinner in the Quarter afterward. We did not stay at the Degas House but spoke to a couple who did and stated that they enjoyed their stay. Whether you stay or not, I would encourage you to call and tour the home and do the "Bottles and Brushes" program. See their website for details.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank austinmdpedi

We are so happy that you enjoyed The Bottle & Brushes art class given by a local professional artist and enjoy your souvernir art work . It is really a unique ,fun and relaxing to have a memorable time in a Historic Art Museum such as the Edgar Degas House . Please come back and stay with us next time in our beautiful Bed & Breakfast.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed one night at the Degas House in October 2011 for my husbands birthday. The location is in a quiet neighborhood of New Orleans. We had a comfortable stay and would consider staying there again. We loved the dining room where breakfast is served. There are lots of windows and the sun was streaming in on the beautifully set dining table. The food was very good. You won't be disappointed if you book a room here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoveTheSouth

Thank you so much for the kind words we really do appreciate it. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Edgar Degas House Museum Courtyard & Inn for your birthday celebration. We are happy you enjoyed our hot French Creole Breakfast and hope you will return to New Orleans and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel in April 2011 and now, eight months on, I frequently find myself, back at the grind of work, taking a few moments to recollect how happy I was at Degas House in New Orleans. It's true this four-night stay was part of the best holiday I have ever been on but this was definitely a highlight. It was just so wonderfully strange.

The tree-lined street was beautiful, the breakfasts were just so incredible (I am still trying to lose the stone I put on on that trip) and you took them at one table with everybody else which was unusual and great. You could go into the garden if you preferred not to do this or to have a coffee and read the paper with some privacy afterwards.

The house itself was fascinating. We took the free tour for guests on the last day of our stay and were shown about by Degas's great-grand niece, incredibly. It turned out we had been staying in what had been the sickroom where everybody died of Yellow Fever back in the day.

I remember when we arrived, the woman who welcomed us in took a good look at me and said, 'Cold beer?' which really impressed me. There were Hershey kisses in bowls in the hallways, just sort of there to be eaten. It was so quirky and uncorporate and I think a really good foil to the other very full-on New Orleans experiences which are great but it's good to have a bit of a rest!

I can't remember the cost now but I do remember thinking it was extremely good value for what was such a special experience. On our last night there, there was a wedding going on; fairy lights everywhere and people sitting on the balconies in fancy clothes and it really was like some sort of living painting. I was utterly enchanted.

Room Tip: All the rooms are completely different and have their own histories so just go with what you can aff...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hifelicity
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

We are so glad that we were part of your best holiday ever – what an honor! Thank you for the fantastic review. We hope you can get away from work and return to Degas House!

Reviewed 17 December 2011

We learned of the Degas House when Living Social offered a half-off on a garret room stay, and decided it would be a cozy, intimate place to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When we arrived, Julie offered to upgrade us to the Estelle Room (aka the Bridal Suite) for a small fee, and after seeing the room, there was no question. We would have been quite happy in the garret room, but we were ecstatic in Estelle. It really is more of a suite, with a king-sized four poster, a daybed in an alcove and exclusive use of the front balcony -- oh, and a decanter of port in the room as well. Julie also offered us each a complementary glass of wine, which we sipped while rocking on the balcony and enjoying the view of this grand old neighborhood. The house was made even more elegant with the holiday decorations, including a massive tree illuminated with thousands of lights in the front parlor. Breakfast was served in a well-appointed room just off of the kitchen -- probably the original butler's pantry. We had planned on the tour, but my husband had a cold, so we decided to head straight home and do the tour the next time.

Just a couple of minor issues that drops it from 5 points to 4 -- as others noted, the Estelle bathroom features a claw-footed tub. However, there is no place in or near the tub to put toiletries other than the floor. It is impossible to balance bottles on the sides of a claw-footed tub. Not a problem if taking a bath, but a definite inconvenience when using the shower. Also -- and those who have read my reviews know that this is a recurring complaint -- there was nothing such as a towel ring to hang a hand towel on once it had been used. I simply cannot dry my hands once and drop the towel on the floor. The television is a 20-inch analog, which looks completely out of place and would be impossible to watch from across the room. Personally, I don't think the room needs a t.v., but if it's going to have one, it should be a decent size flat screen.

Breakfast was good, but not exceptional. Coffee, tea, and fixings were on a sideboard and orange juice was on the table. We were offered waffles, sausage and eggs. My husband asked for everything. I asked for waffles and sausage. We both got half of a waffle and one small patty of sausage; he, of course, got eggs. I mistakenly assumed that "waffles" meant more than one waffle or that I would at least get a whole one. We were not asked if we wanted seconds, and I didn't want to wait while another waffle was cooked. I filled up on a store-bought pastry from the sideboard; it was fresh, at least. Fruit was a wedge of watermelon and a few grapes. We both ordered bloody Marys. They were typical New Orleans-style drinks, extremely spicy, with a pickled okra and pickle juice. I took one sip, and passed it on to my husband, who drank them both right up. If you're like me, order the mimosa. I imagine you could get milk; we didn't ask.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dr_QBatonRouge

Thank you for your great review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate your constructive criticism, and are taking each issue seriously. We have ordered a new shelf for the Estelle bathroom and we will be getting a new television. We want the room to keep its authentic feel, while keeping our guests happy with everyday amenities. We have come up with a great solution for the placement of the flat screen. We have been making some changes to breakfast, and we will make sure that all of our guests get plenty of servings and more fruit. Again, thank you for your review, as we are able to make improvements for the comfort of all of our guests.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Our stay in the Estelle Room was like a trip back in time. The New Orleans Museum of Art, 10 blocks down Esplanade Ave, has an exhibit of an upper class 19th Century NOLA home. How cool to look at the art exhibit and then return to our own Degas House and our own Estelle Room that looked just like the one displayed at the museum. How fun to take a hot bath in an old cast iron claw foot tub. How wonderful to rock in in a rocker on our 2nd floor porch looking on Esplande Ave. Lucky us! Plus, we had 21st Century amenities, like top drawer linens, tv, stereo and air conditioning. We slept great.
Our stay was a personal trip back in time. Property Manager Julia became an instant friend. Lotty was the best cook, creating for breakfast yummy french toast with bananas foster sauce. And, Housekeeper Sharon took me back to my childhood with her loving care. I've never before had such a magical feeling of return to my old home. Thank you, thank you.
Travelers - be aware that The Degas House is just off the beaten path. We were happy to have a car. We took cabs to the French Quarter and that cost, with tip, is about $10.
Our unqualified rating - 5 stars!!.

Room Tip: The Estelle Room is the best room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dawn F
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Degas House. We are so honored that our home was a magical experience for you. We loved having you as our guest, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Degas' great grand-niece took me on an amazing 1:1 tour of this house. I walked here from the French Quarter and Margeaux even recommended a fabulous burger place (Port of Call) for the walk home. This was THE highlight of my trip to NOLA.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Azavakos

Thank you for your kind review. We are so honored that we were the highlight of your trip! Come again!