“Good rates in the off-season, and only a mile from the Quarter”
Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #66 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I stayed at Degas House in May 2008 and June 2009. The house is quiet and the staff are friendly. I usually did not avail myself of the (included) breakfast, which includes muffins, instant oatmeal, instant grits, hard-boiled eggs, coffee and tea; but I did take advantage of the cooked breakfasts on weekends.

I stayed in garret rooms. The only thing lacking are windows. The garrets are the perfect size for a solo traveller or for a couple. The room I stayed in in 2008 would comfortably sleep three. The laundry room is on the same floor as the garrets, so it's very convenient to wash clothes.

In 2008 my mobile phone connection was a bit tentative. This was much improved this trip. Degas House has Wi-Fi Internet, and I was able to use it up on the top floor. The signal could be stronger though, since I had to carefully place my laptop to receive it. My laptop has an internal antenna and a metal case, so others might have no issues. The signal was fine downstairs and outside, and I assume the larger rooms would have better reception.

Degas House is about a mile from the French Quarter. It's an easy 15-minute walk. ANd since it's on Esplanade it's convenient to Checkpoint Charlie's, Port-O-Call, and 13. The Clover Grill, Ralph & Kacoo's, and other places are not far off of Esplanade. During the hot Summer off-season even the short walk to the Quarter can be a little daunting. (Hey, I'm up by the Canadian border. 'Hot' here is in the 80s!) It's about a $5 cab ride from Degas House to the Quarter, and Degas House provides cards for United Cab at the door.

Check-in is easy. I made my reservations over the phone, and my key and house information were waiting for me in a lock-box when I arrived (both times) at midnight. Check-out was easy too. I had to leave before anyone arrived, but that's OK. They had my credit card information already.

In summary: Good off-season rates, comfortable rooms, tasty 'home-cooked' weekend breakfasts, easy walk or cheap cab ride to the Quarter, and friendly staff. I would have liked a stronger Wi-Fi signal. I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank JohnPNW

Reviewed 6 August 2009

It is a great place to stay, especially when you know it is where Degas, the famous French artist, lived! The house has been fabulously refurbished and is in a quite historically rich neighborhood. Check it out at www.degashouse.com.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BatonRouge-BajaRider
Reviewed 10 July 2009

This isn't your typical hotel, but that's what we loved about it. We stayed in the Estelle Room and it was awesome! The room was huge and we had access to the balcony. The manager, David, was super helpful regarding where we should go. If you're not pretentious and really want to experience New Orleans outside of the French Quater, which by the way is only a 10 minute walk down the street, then you should stay here. We were able to eat breakfast whenever we were ready and no one bothered us. We did have access to the kitchen, but who wants to cook when there are so much good food accessible. Our shower didn't work, but we had a claw foot tub and that was just fine for me. We had free Wifi as well. We will definitely be staying here again in the future. By the way, our air conditioner worked just fine.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glencedes
Reviewed 5 July 2009

This has been the worst hotel experience ever. First, the air conditionaire was not working and we inquired in advance that this was an amenity since New Orlean is hot in july. The thermostat was 80 so clearly the ac was broken- we told someone in the office and they came to look at it- they said they would call someone in the morning and the whole office left right after that. meanwhile we had to suffer in the heat. After this, I got my bed ready and discovered hundreds of black dots and several pieces of hair in the bed- everywhere! My first thought was dead bed bugs- simply disgusting and gross. We called the 1800 number and left a message- no one ever responded. It took them until 2pm the next day to actually respond to our issues. We decided to check out early and find a cleaner place to stay. They were not going to refund the money for the nights we did not stay there, but eventually serious arguments had to happen to make them do the refunds in front of us. They were completely rude, harrassing, and inconsiderate of the situation. Not once did they apologize for the unclean bed and situation- nor did they provide a reasonable excuse for any of it. The owner/manager verbally harrassed me, trying to blame me for the situation and being uncooperative with staying there and putting up with their filth. They did not do one single thing to attempt to resolve this the night before or that afternoon. Luckily there were 2 beds, or I would not have had anywhere to sleep. However, we were still charged full price for 2 beds, even though they never even attempted to put clean sheets on it. this was very unsanitary and I will be filing several complaints to ensure this does not happen to future tourists. The Degas House was absolutely gross and horrible service- I would never recommend this to anyone. I almost do not even want to go back to New Orleans I had such a bad experience on my 1st 2 days. I am definitely concerned that I carried bed bugs home in my suitcase from that place and will be disinfecting everything. Once again, I cannot say how grossed out I am by this place and how rude they were.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
11  Thank misstinalouisa
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2009

WOW! First Thank you to Trip Advisor for allowing me to respond.
We installed a new roof that week and apparently attic dust fell on the bed. Housekeeping did not reinspect, as the room had been cleaned prior to re-roofing. Embarrassed, I apologized and took every step to make it right and to please these guests, with upgrades and added amenities.
2 of the 3 guests communicated with me, were happy and wanted to stay. The complaintant refused to communicate in a civil manner and was entirely uncooperative. Money was refunded and I offered to assist them in finding other accommodations.I encourage readers to explore this complaintant's record of negative reviews on other properties. By the way, the air conditioning was never broken. I invite all to visit Degas House for a tour of our award winning restoration or overnight in our Bed and Breakfast or perhaps for a party or wedding.
Degas House is the celebrated and only home of the famous French Impressionist Master in the world and we are very proud of our work here, Thank you for taking the time to read.

Reviewed 17 March 2009

We just returned from our stay at The Degas House, and it was absoulutely fabulous! The staff was very friendly and helpful. They were polite, and could relate to my love of creole gumbo. The creole breakfast was very yummy. On Saturday morning, we ate french toast, bacon and eggs cooked via your choice. It was convenient and was a short cab ride away from uptown and the French Quarter. I loved the coziness of this B&B. Furthermore, the other guests were delightful and personable. We did not meet a stranger. Everyone exemplified southern hospitality.

4  Thank crazyabnola
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed 9 July 2003

My boyfriend and I spent a night at the Degas House last summer that I will remember forever. We stayed in "Estelle," a stunning suite on the second floor with a huge private porch overlooking Esplanade. The antique furniture (including a massive four poster bed), chandelier, and fireplace are beautiful. The friendly housekeepers will make you anything you want for breakfast in the morning. Really a treat. Book ahead!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2003

This is a really elegant B and B style inn on Esplanade, a couple of miles outside the French Quarter. They arranged a very nice wedding for us and our 35 or so guests in this big open downstairs room, and it all went very smoothly at a very fair price. The furniture is all 19th century and prints of Degas' paintings hang in every room because he lived in the house for a time with relatives. Our guests loved the place. We had the "Estelle" suite which appeared to be extra nice, huge ceilings, a huge balcony, and really great antique furniture. To get to the quarter it'll run you about $8-10 for a cab from here, but it's near the NO art museum and it's quiet. Cabs run 24/7 either way. We're probably going to return for a couple of nights and then move into the quarter for a couple of more nights next time we go back to New Orleans.

• Stayed: January 2005