“My home away from home.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #59 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Kentucky
“My home away from home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

We stay at the Degas House every year for Jazz Fest and visits in-between. The faithful restoration of Degas' former home, along with owner Dave Villarrubia's personal attention to detail, make the Degas House our choice. At the Degas House we enjoy more privacy than a traditional B&B, but with a communal breakfast and beautiful courtyard when we want to socialize. Perfectly situated between the French Quarter and City Park, the B&B is also the site of the Edgar Degas Foundation which is dedicated to preserving the story of the famous painter's accomplishments while living in New Orleans. We won't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SystemeD28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

As regular guests in the bed and breakfast at Degas House, we have been delighted to make this our New Orleans home away from home. We travel there regularly on both business and pleasure, and we've watched it grow over the years to become the museum home it has aspired to be, besides being a very warm and accommodating bed and breakfast. The staff often greets us a with a free bottle of champagne and chocolate as a welcome back gift, which sets the tone for our entire stay. The staff always adds a personal touch. Sharon looks after our every need and even calls us for breakfast if we oversleep, because she knows we would never miss her cooking!
The tour of the house is given by Degas' niece, who is usually around during breakfast and always has a tidbit of family history for our enjoyment and amusement. Degas House is a true gem and the staff make it fun and memorable on every occasion.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Dallas/New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband and I, along with other family members, have enjoyed the warm hospitality of the Degas House both short and long-term since August 2005, and consider it to be home away from home. The entire property including the suite we stay in is steeped in history and antiquity, yet comfortable and inviting. The staff provides an environment that is private, peaceful and serene, yet infused with the energy of New Orleans. The Degas House admirably preserves not only the memory of the renowned artist, Edgar Degas, but also the contributions of a past era – civility and richness of culture – and does so masterfully.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreedomRouser
Bellingham, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

I stayed at Degas House in May 2008 and June 2009. The house is quiet and the staff are friendly. I usually did not avail myself of the (included) breakfast, which includes muffins, instant oatmeal, instant grits, hard-boiled eggs, coffee and tea; but I did take advantage of the cooked breakfasts on weekends.

I stayed in garret rooms. The only thing lacking are windows. The garrets are the perfect size for a solo traveller or for a couple. The room I stayed in in 2008 would comfortably sleep three. The laundry room is on the same floor as the garrets, so it's very convenient to wash clothes.

In 2008 my mobile phone connection was a bit tentative. This was much improved this trip. Degas House has Wi-Fi Internet, and I was able to use it up on the top floor. The signal could be stronger though, since I had to carefully place my laptop to receive it. My laptop has an internal antenna and a metal case, so others might have no issues. The signal was fine downstairs and outside, and I assume the larger rooms would have better reception.

Degas House is about a mile from the French Quarter. It's an easy 15-minute walk. ANd since it's on Esplanade it's convenient to Checkpoint Charlie's, Port-O-Call, and 13. The Clover Grill, Ralph & Kacoo's, and other places are not far off of Esplanade. During the hot Summer off-season even the short walk to the Quarter can be a little daunting. (Hey, I'm up by the Canadian border. 'Hot' here is in the 80s!) It's about a $5 cab ride from Degas House to the Quarter, and Degas House provides cards for United Cab at the door.

Check-in is easy. I made my reservations over the phone, and my key and house information were waiting for me in a lock-box when I arrived (both times) at midnight. Check-out was easy too. I had to leave before anyone arrived, but that's OK. They had my credit card information already.

In summary: Good off-season rates, comfortable rooms, tasty 'home-cooked' weekend breakfasts, easy walk or cheap cab ride to the Quarter, and friendly staff. I would have liked a stronger Wi-Fi signal. I'll stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank JohnPNW
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

It is a great place to stay, especially when you know it is where Degas, the famous French artist, lived! The house has been fabulously refurbished and is in a quite historically rich neighborhood. Check it out at www.degashouse.com.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank BatonRouge-BajaRider
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

This isn't your typical hotel, but that's what we loved about it. We stayed in the Estelle Room and it was awesome! The room was huge and we had access to the balcony. The manager, David, was super helpful regarding where we should go. If you're not pretentious and really want to experience New Orleans outside of the French Quater, which by the way is only a 10 minute walk down the street, then you should stay here. We were able to eat breakfast whenever we were ready and no one bothered us. We did have access to the kitchen, but who wants to cook when there are so much good food accessible. Our shower didn't work, but we had a claw foot tub and that was just fine for me. We had free Wifi as well. We will definitely be staying here again in the future. By the way, our air conditioner worked just fine.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Glencedes
minneapolis, minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

This has been the worst hotel experience ever. First, the air conditionaire was not working and we inquired in advance that this was an amenity since New Orlean is hot in july. The thermostat was 80 so clearly the ac was broken- we told someone in the office and they came to look at it- they said they would call someone in the morning and the whole office left right after that. meanwhile we had to suffer in the heat. After this, I got my bed ready and discovered hundreds of black dots and several pieces of hair in the bed- everywhere! My first thought was dead bed bugs- simply disgusting and gross. We called the 1800 number and left a message- no one ever responded. It took them until 2pm the next day to actually respond to our issues. We decided to check out early and find a cleaner place to stay. They were not going to refund the money for the nights we did not stay there, but eventually serious arguments had to happen to make them do the refunds in front of us. They were completely rude, harrassing, and inconsiderate of the situation. Not once did they apologize for the unclean bed and situation- nor did they provide a reasonable excuse for any of it. The owner/manager verbally harrassed me, trying to blame me for the situation and being uncooperative with staying there and putting up with their filth. They did not do one single thing to attempt to resolve this the night before or that afternoon. Luckily there were 2 beds, or I would not have had anywhere to sleep. However, we were still charged full price for 2 beds, even though they never even attempted to put clean sheets on it. this was very unsanitary and I will be filing several complaints to ensure this does not happen to future tourists. The Degas House was absolutely gross and horrible service- I would never recommend this to anyone. I almost do not even want to go back to New Orleans I had such a bad experience on my 1st 2 days. I am definitely concerned that I carried bed bugs home in my suitcase from that place and will be disinfecting everything. Once again, I cannot say how grossed out I am by this place and how rude they were.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
11 Thank misstinalouisa
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
WOW! First Thank you to Trip Advisor for allowing me to respond.
We installed a new roof that week and apparently attic dust fell on the bed. Housekeeping did not reinspect, as the room had been cleaned prior to re-roofing. Embarrassed, I apologized and took every step to make it right and to please these guests, with upgrades and added amenities.
2 of the 3 guests communicated with me, were happy and wanted to stay. The complaintant refused to communicate in a civil manner and was entirely uncooperative. Money was refunded and I offered to assist them in finding other accommodations.I encourage readers to explore this complaintant's record of negative reviews on other properties. By the way, the air conditioning was never broken. I invite all to visit Degas House for a tour of our award winning restoration or overnight in our Bed and Breakfast or perhaps for a party or wedding.
Degas House is the celebrated and only home of the famous French Impressionist Master in the world and we are very proud of our work here, Thank you for taking the time to read.