“Our Wedding DAY at Degas”
Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #55 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Jackson, MS
“Our Wedding DAY at Degas”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We fell in love at Degas House in 2003 on a Mardi Gras trip from Jackson, MS to New Orleans and then returned to The Degas House to get Married in 2005!!! It was magical. The Degas House Staff made our wedding day INCREDIBLE! My guests had a blast! The experience of our wedding day was amazing and if your in the search of a perfect wedding day, the Degas House is THE PLACE!! Thank you from Pete and Tandy Katsaboulas (wedding day March 19th 2005)

• Stayed March 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tandyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Atlanta
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The Degas House! Oh my! if anyone reading this has Ever stayed at a bed & breakfast, I mean actually spent the night in the same house where anyone as historic and talented as Edgar Degas also stayed over a hundred years ago please raise your hand! I wouldn't believe this was even possible if I hadn't experienced it myself. The possibility of there being any location like this is in the world is more than rare. There is no other place where one can truly experience the ambience of Old New Orleans so pristinely preserved. To go back in time and realize that you are also in the same house the same location where his mother's family actually lived and inspired this famous French artist is truly amazing! This is an incredible story like no other. How much would You pay to have a priceless experience like this? It's hard to believe how affordable it is especially when your senses are awakened in the morning to the delicious aroma of New Orleans coffee as you leisurely stroll down the grand staircase to a hot homemade breakfast as you like it whether it be a giant Belgian Waffle with powdered sugar, syrup and whip cream or fresh fruit and an omelette made to order. Is it 2009 or 1872?
Sit awhile at a wrought iron table in the patio outside the back door where Degas painted his cousin's darling children on the same steps "Children on a Doorstep" or have an afternoon apertif on your own private balcony, the same wrought iron balcony that Degas painted so many years ago while he captured his cousin Mathilde enjoying the day in the same exact spot "Woman on a Balcony"! American Idol fans stand for a moment in the grand front salon and imagine a time when vocal and piano performances were live and daily household occurrences as depicted in Degas' painting of "The Song Rehearsal" in this very place. Gosh, I found myself not wanting to leave the house although I was right between the French Quarter to the right and gorgeous City Park to my left sprinkled with delightful New Orleans restaurants and shops along the way Cafe Degas and Liuzza's to name two. Don't leave without either the Degas and New Orleans book, the Degas in New Orleans; A Creole Sojourn DVD or both like I did :) Loving the colorful history of New Orleans, until now I'd only imagined how it must have been when Esplanade was the street of well to do Creole families the same street where New Orleans ladies sashayed by and families of famous French painters lived, but never did I dream I could go back in time and live it today. Thank you Degas House for a great first and lasting "impressionism"! I've stayed there with good friends, celebrated reunions and my anniversary there and each time is more magical than the last.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LUV2TVL2
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The Degas House is a beautiful & romantic historic B&B. It has lots of great history. I was enlighten by the award winning tour they have. The staff is very friendly. They helped us will all of our needs & gave us great advice on what to do while in New Orleans. They have great resturants and things to do a mile from the house. The Quarter is a ten minute walk and the bus stop is right out front from the house. I recommend The Degas House to everyone. What a REAL EXPERIENCE!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank BATONROUGEBMW
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this review, 29 September 2009
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
We're happy you had a good time while in New Orleans and while staying with us at the Degas House. We certainly hope to see you again in the future and would be glad to quote you our return guest's discounted rate.
I know how much you liked the tour and we are very proud of that part of our Degas Experience, so perhaps you would consider writing another Trip Advisor review under the Edgar Degas House on Trip Advisor's website.
Thanks again for coming. I hope you had a safe trip home or to your next destination.
Please tell your friends and business contacts that "Degas Lives Here" in New Orleans. We are proud stewards of this wonderful historic landmark and glad we could share it with you. Thanks again for coming and being our guests and for your Trip Advisor review. I hope we see you again next year. David
Florida
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I am a corporate pilot and after years of hotel rooms I went looking for something different for a two day layover with a side trip to Baton Rouge. An associate recommended Trip Advisor as a source of info/guidance. I found The Degas House and all but one review were glowing. There's always someone you can't please. I called, made reservations, received a corporate rate and was faxed the instructions for getting in after hours, a little worried about entry. We arrived late (11:00pm) and all the instructions were perfect. We opened the main door and we stepped into history. What a wonderful surprise. The parlor and dining room were low lit and the artwork seemed to glow on the walls. The historical marker ,out front, sets the stage and the house does the rest. The rooms were amazing. We both, my copilot and I, could not believe how cool this was. We each were greeted with a bottle of wine in the room. Nice touch. We poured a glass each and went out on the porch to enjoy that which is New Orleans. Especially at night. Morning brought a nice breakfast ( great coffee). Tour of the other half of the house, great story. Off for a walk, out for lunch in the neighborhood, out to the airport for an afternoon trip to Baton Rouge and back. Outstanding dinner at Lola's and then to bed. Sleeping in a historical house like this is very special. The house has a wonderful spirit of comfort and grace. We both have been to Paris so Degas' work was not foreign. Leaving was hard as the house makes staying in NOLA a complete experience. Wanted to stay and party for a week. Duty calls. P.S. We took the boss by the house on the way to his hotel downtown. He loves NOLA and wished he was staying with us. His room was twice what we were paying. Thanks Trip Advisor for a great first recommendation. We'll be back. -- flyinfishfla

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank flyinfishfla
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Our first stay in the Crescent City will definitely not be our last. Staying in this beautiful French Creole Mansion is a trip back in time -- but with every modern amenity you can think of! Kudos to David the owner and Sharon the house manager for such warm southern hospitality during our stay. I am a HUGE fan of Degas, and so this trip was very special and memorable for me and my husband. The tour -- led by a descendent of Degas! -- does not disappoint. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BettyPhiladelphia_PA
New Orleans
Reviewed 26 August 2009

If you love history, elegance, charm, and Southern Hospitality this place is for you! My Fiance and I were lucky enough to stay in the Estelle Room recently. We had heard wonderful things and read excellent reviews about The Degas House and were glad to be able to finally experience it. We learned that they are beginning to host parties regularly along with the Edgar Degas Foundation. We attended The Noche Latina and it was fabulous! Javier Gutierrez and his band had the large crowd salsa-ing and samba-ing for hours! Our entire evening was perfect. The room was spacious, elegant and inviting; complete with 4-poster bed, fireplace, chandelier, washbasin, and other appropriate antiques. You can relax and lounge on the huge balcony and/or in a claw-foot tub. The staff is very accommodating. Great cooks too! The Owner, David is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. He can inform you not just about Degas, but the whole area as well. Take his suggestions for restaurants; he won’t steer you wrong. We’re sorry to have missed the tour, but we’ll just have to go back and take one next time! We live in the New Orleans area and will recommend it to all of our visitors.

New Orleans, LA
Reviewed 12 August 2009

As I live across the Lake from New Orleans and frequently have in-town plans, I am a regular guest at The Degas House Bed & Breakfast in New Orleans. Furnished with authentic French and American antiques from the Victorian era and located in the Bayou St. John neighborhood of the City, this authentically restored Creole home (which was originally the residence of the cousins of renowned French impressionist artist, Edgar Degas) is steeped in history and romance, and conveniently located to access any part of town: Ten minutes by car from Uptown; Five minutes from the Central Business District; Five minutes from the French Quarter; and Ten minutes from the Arts/Warehouse District.

Degas House has received numerous accolades from various organizations, including:
•The National Register of Historic Places, United States of America;
•Louisiana Preservation Alliance, The National Trust for Historic Preservation;
•Awarded Excellence In Restoration;
•The City of New Orleans, Golden Hammer Award for Historic Preservation;
•The New Orleans Historic Districts Landmarks Commission, Awarded Purple Rating, (One of only six in New Orleans)

Guests are catered to every morning in the dining room, and the rest of the staff go out of their way to make you feel like you are home away from home. There are even occasional live concerts in the courtyard!

In every stay at the Degas House I am transported back to another era of gentility and romance, when time moved more slowly and life was more greatly appreciated. I highly recommend it, especially to the traveler who wants to entrench him/herself in the history and aura of the Belle of the South, New Orleans.

Désirée St. Paul