“Great B&B with a large parlor for relaxing with friends!”
Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #58 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Baton Rouge
“Great B&B with a large parlor for relaxing with friends!”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

The decor & history of this property take you back to a time and place when life was simpler & less complicated... The relaxing atmosphere and pleasant staff make this a great place for a romantic encounter or one where you can contemplate the next great business adventure!

Park your car and walk to great cultural history or take a $5 cab ride to the French Quarter and avoid the hassle of finding a parking spot...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BatonRouge-BajaRider

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Las Vegas
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We stayed one night and had the entire house to ourself. Just curious if the house is "haunted". When we arrived that evening to go to bed a door slammed downstairs but no one else was there . . . ? We were promised a free tour, but never received it. We thought it would be nicer than it was so it didn't meet our expectations, but to stay in such a historical home was exciting.

Stayed June 2010
2 Thank 2like2travel2
rubi1, Owner at Degas House, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
Thanks for the opportunity to respond.
Actually, although not popular, we have no ghosts! The door you heard closing was probably us coming in for the night, so of course you were not alone. Everything we present on the tour is documented history, and it is important to us to stay with the facts, so it would be difficult to claim a ghost! However, the experience of staying in a historic home is very exciting, especially if you connect with the history of the house. The tour is included and I'm sorry you missed it, because it is the backbone of what we do: tell the story of historic events that ocurred here, including Degas' discovery of a new style of painting, later to become known as Impressionism. The tour is usually given by the Great Grand Niece of Degas, who lives in the neighborhood and has been a part of our staff for the last 10 years. The tour operates at varied times of the day, so I'm sorry you missed it. Did you let the office know when you were ready to take the tour? Normally, we accommodate our guests easily after breakfast, so I'm sorry you were diasappointed. I would be glad to comp you another room night in the house and would have certainly done that, had you communicated your disapointment about missing the tour , or anything else to one of our staff members or directly to me. The tour is definetly something not to be missed! Please let me know by phone, email, text or fax when you would like to return and how I can best accommodate you. I'm certain you realize I will be waiting for your call. Thank you!
Reviewed 9 June 2010

My now husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception on May 29th at the Degas House and we loved every minute of our time there! The staff was amazing (especially Sharon) and were able to accomodate any sudden changes that occurred (especially as it started to rain). The food was great, both for the reception as well as for breakfast the next day. We just cannot say enough great things about the staff, the location, the backdrop for the wedding, and the hospitality of everyone in the city.
After the wedding, we stayed in one of the guest suites for two nights. The rooms were spacious and met all of our needs (including stocked kitchen and large tub in the bathroom). The Degas House is located near the art museum and a streetcar stop so you really don't even need transportation other than two feet!
Although the building is older, I think that is what gives the entire setting a feeling of history and charm. If you are looking for something that is new and state of the art, this is not the place, but if you want a historical site that includes an amazing and hard-working staff, look no further.
For us, the Degas House will always be a magical place. It is a place that is lovely to look at, but not too pretentious. It is a place where the staff work hard to ensure your stay is wonderful, without being too overbearing. Finally, it is a place where two people who fell in love with New Orleans and each other years ago, can come back to and fall in love all over again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kimlyons04
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Yes it has charm and is a nice property, the service is WELL BELOW acceptable. For the price I paid I feel Staff should have been more on the ball and a bit more friendly! Why should I have to meet management only by accident when neighbor was outside yelling? Upon asking for laundry I was told ONLY WHEN Sharon was around. Dont get me wrong sharon was very nice. The BELL suite (HA!) had a filthy kitchen dirty floors and the bathroom was DISGUSTING with a toilet that kept running. Maid service was only one day out of four.I was not impressed. The neighborhood was wonderful though and in great distance to the Quarter.

8 Thank serper
Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2010

This is an historic house, and runs as a museum to the painter Degas who lived and worked there for some time, and also provides accommodation and breakfast and hosts functions like weddings. The house is about a mile from the French quarter, or about 15 minutes walk. On the plus side, the room we had was comfortable and warm and clean. Further up the Esplanade (in the opposite direction to the French Quarter) are a very full coffee shop, some nice restaurants and a wine tasting center called "Swirl" (they also seel good bread and cheese). Another 10 minutes walk is the New Orleans Museum of Art. Seems a pleasant and safe area but one is advised to take a cab home at night. Offers free Wifi. But there was a downside too. For USA $225/night one expect top service, a quality breakfast and staff that are around and seem interested. Our experience was unfortunately the opposite. We served ourselves breakfast when we eventually found the food in the fridge, and sorted out how to use the gas stove to boil water (there was no kettle in the kitchen and we dislike percolated coffee). To be faced with signs in the kitchen (attached) suggesting we do our own washing up was frankly insulting, especially when the sink was full of dirty dishes and the dishwasher full. Our plan was to pay extra to get extra and move out of a more plush hotel. In retrospect this was a bad decision. I think these people are trying to do too many things but not doing them all well. Maybe they were having a bad week but I could not recommend them, although the owner did try to make amends at the end.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Redhillrunner
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this review, 9 March 2010
Thanks to Trip Advisor for the opportunity to respond to this review. The guest says we tried to make amends "in the end". He is badly mis-stating and minimizing our efforts. I attempted to reach the guest 3 times by text and by notes in his room, only after I could not locate him physically around the house.He ignored my efforts, did not return texts and made no attempt at communicating with me.The issue was the breakfast, which was amazing to us, as we have a very generous continental breakfast during the week, as we have had for years without complaint, and as stated on our website. Our guests DO self serve, on occasion, as some prefer to sleep in after long nights in the French Quarter.This is personal preference, which we honor, by allowing our guests the privacy they deserve. I spent considerable time with this couple on arrival, welcoming and being sure they were comfortable, advising them on nearby restaurants, the lifestyle we live in New Orleans, the streetcars, which cab company to use, etc. They ate at one of our favorite restaurants, yet didn't say thanks, showed no appreciation for the lead, even when we asked! These guests arrived with disappontment that we had no "lift" or elevator, even though a historic home such as this, would probably NOT have an elevator as a general rule. Hospitality is a 2 way street, which means good communication is the responsibility of BOTH parties. When this couple was leaving, I went to say good bye and they would not even look me in the eyes, which I assumed meant that they had "taken matters into their own hands" to GET BACK at some perceived problem, instead of communicating with us. I was never even thanked for the complimentary bottle of wine we left for them in their room. As far as notes left in the kitchen, our Bed and Breakfast guests aren't even allowed in the kitchen and we would certainly not ask them to wash their own dishes! Also, no, we have never been asked for boiling water over percolated coffee, where the coffee in New Orleans is some of the best in the world...and includes chicory! READERS PLEASE NOTE that these guests are new to Trip Advisor and negatively wrote up their next hotel (Marriott Courtyard)as well as us...for what? You guessed it..the breakfast! Degas House is not always perfect, but we certainly have the staff to communicate with the guests who want to be fair and communicate with us, especially if there is a concern or problem that we can and are able to easily fix or make it up to them. My feeling about this couple is that they aren't comfortable with traveling and are inexperienced travelers who aren't very happy about anything or anyone! Next time, they should simply stay home!
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 1 March 2010

When the doorknob came off as we checked in, we should have taken that as a sign and went elsewhere. The house is beautiful (I believe it was built in 1862), but it is in no shape to be used as a b&b. We stayed in the Estelle Suite. I went to open a drawer under a sink, and the whole front of the drawer came off in my hand. My son wanted to take a shower, however we couldn't get it to work, so we were all stuck taking baths all weekend. The first morning of our stay, the toilet overflowed. We were all afraid to flush for the rest of the weekend. The only throw rug in the suite was visibly dirty and obviously not vacuumed. We wanted to play cards one night, so I cleaned off the table with a damp cloth. It was almost black with dust and grime. Also, the walls are very thin. We could hear every step above us, and just about every word said in the suite next to us. The only bright spot was the breakfasts. The lady who comes in to cook for us all is a great cook. We all enjoyed that. I don't know who the owner is, but they are not on-site, which I thought was different for a b&b. Bottom line: If you're interested in seeing the infamous Degas House, book a tour, but DO NOT stay there. It absolutely makes me sick when I think that we paid $300/night for it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank hnewheels
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this review, 18 March 2010
Thank you Trip Advisor, for bringing this to our attention.
This is an interesting review, as we did not receive any complaints from this group. This party jammed extra people into their room
(7 people in a room that sleeps 4!), without coordinating with us, and were therefore quietly hoping we wouldn't notice, and therefore, since they were apparently stealing from us, did not want to voice their complaints, (for fear of being caught) or to let us know the damage they created themselves! They apparently BROKE the plumbing for the shower. They also broke the bathroom face bowl, which required total replacement, at great cost to us. The toilet DOES overflow when you disrespect it, as this is a standard residential commode, and not designed for the rough housing that must have occurred, which is apparently how this party conducted themselves. As for not having anyone "on site", I checked them in myself and spent considerable time with them, both in and out of their room, which, by the way, is in great shape, as it is our premier Bridal Suite, that is nearly always rented or used for the dressing of the brides who choose to get married here. In the Bridal Suite is a basin, which the guest refers to in his review, and the front of the drawer is designed for quick release, as inside is the plumbing for the dresser sink, which is custom made and designed. It shouldn't surprise me that this party didn't "get it" and abused it. By the way, the "lady" cooking the breakfast, well, she's the house manager, has been here over 11 years and takes great personal interest in our guests. She remembers questioning the total number of guests for that room and tells me she was confused over the different people from that room that showed up for breakfast everyday, apparently cycling different people through the dining room at intervals. My feeling is that this complainant is upset because we caught them overloading the room and charged them for the extra people that we discovered that stayed with them, ate our breakfast, used our facilities and ultimately damaged our house. Now, they attempt to damage us further through a negative review on Trip Advisor, who requires no accountability for the truth and no accountability as to who this complainant even is by name. This is definitely an unbalanced playing field, as the business name is published and damaged, regardless of the truth of the review or the character of the reviewer, but the complainant's name is concealed! We should have known not to accept them, as at the time of the booking, when they explained the total number of guests in their party, we informed them they needed 2 rooms and offered to hold those for them, to which they declined. We assumed their group would not be as large, but we were indeed wrong, as they later proved.
By the way, my calls and voice mails to discuss the details of their complaints with them, as a quality control standard, went unanswered and unreturned.
We take great pride in the Degas House, a project that has required much blood, sweat and tears, as they say. Everyone is welcome here, as we feel the public should relate to this rich history and landmark of global interest. Perhaps we should discriminate more thoroughly between those who deserve such a step back to a moment in time and those opportunists who only know a singular dimension.
Oh, Yes the doorknob did come off in my hand while I was greeting them. So, I suppose we actually were at fault after all....of at least something that was stated.
Linglestown, PA
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I am an impressionist art lover and Degas is among my fav artists, so I was thrilled at the prospect of staying here, even if for only one night. Unfortunately, my stay was quite different from those about which there are other reviews speaking of arriving to wine, cheese, crackers, etc. I arrived to an empty, dark, locked house. When I reached someone by my cell phone, I was given the code to unlock the key lockbox to be able to get in the house. No one was there to unlock the door, greet me, or assist me with luggage up two flights of stairs containing many, many steps to my attic "Garrett" Room (Pierre). Even after advising the person I spoke to on the phone that we would be in for the rest of the evening, no one arrived. There was no wine, no cheese, no crackers -- there was no food or drink, whatsoever. There wasn't even the book to peruse or movie to watch that is advertised on their website. I looked in vain for something to read about the house but all I could find were various wedding albums of people who had been married at the house laid out on a table (an obvious advertisement for utilizing the house for such purpose). Because we had a morning flight out of New Orleans, we were going to miss the house tour the next day, so I asked Sharon, the cook who arrived the next morning (who made us wonderful Creole omelettes) about the house, its history, its stories; despite having worked there for 11 years, she was able to tell us nothing. I will buy the book and the DVD to learn about it. For me and for many who stay at B&Bs, a great part of a B&Bs charm is the owner's or resident manager's interaction with the guests, their stories, etc. That was totally absent here. As for the house, itself, the first floor was quite cold and drafty. The heater in our attic room worked well; the room was adequate and austere. The brass bed appeared to be broken. The beautiful rooms were on the second floor -- these are also the pricy rooms. I wonder if my experience might have been different if I had booked one of the rooms on the second floor or if I hadn't booked my stay using BookIt.com. I won't find out, as I won't return again to stay at the Degas House.

• Stayed February 2010