“Grand....historical....friendly!!”

Ranked #42 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Grand....historical....friendly!!”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

A MUST DO!!! What an amazing home! It is absolutely beautiful. Definitely feels like walking in to the old South. Glen & Randy are amazing hosts full of tales, recommendations & hospitality. Very welcoming atmosphere. We felt right at home with their family. The pool & hottub are a definite bonus...great way to end a long day, I felt like we were saying goodbye to friends when we left.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Scarlett O'Hara room. Was just like the picutres on the website.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peggy G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sydney
Reviewed 6 May 2012

What a find! We recently stayed at the HH Whitney B&B for Jazz Festival and the location could not be more perfect. It is literally half-way between the festival grounds & the French Quarter (about 15 mins walk to each). The hot breakfast served each morning is unbelievable- including the best French toast I've ever had! There's also free bottled water, soft drinks & snacks throughout the day. The rooms are great- spacious & clean. Only minor problem was that the walls were a little thin so we could hear the snorer next door- but so minor! The pool area is also a great place to relax. Would definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed May 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to take a get away trip to New Orleans. It was our first time to go and also our first time ever staying in a bed and breakfast. Let me tell you, after staying at the HH Whitney House...I sincerely hope that other bed & breakfasts that we stay at in the future will be just as hospitable and elegant as this one was! The house is quaint and well preserved and kept. The history of the house is up on the walls for all to see..very interesting. It was fun talking to some of the other guests and meeting them. Everyone was so nice. As a female, I was a bit skeptical of New Orleans just because in previous years I have heard so much about violence and crime. I was nervous about going and walking around places...but we had no problems whatsoever..nor did we even feel uncomfortable in the slightest. We walked around during the day, and took a cab back at night to the house. It worked out well!

And the food..oh jeez. The breakfast..was AMAZING (to say the least). Saturday night, my boyfriend and I came back to the house a little earlier after a long day, and we saw Glen in the kitchen. Curious, we walked in there to say hello & saw him making breakfast for the next day. He was making pecan praline french toast casserole. How many places will you ever stay at where you will see the inn keeper preparing something for the guests..a day in advance? Seriously..I was impressed. And that next morning when we ate that casserole for breakfast, I was in Heaven. I should also note, that on the last day we were there, which was a Sunday, the Rock n Roll half marathon was taking place. Glen was nice enough to bring chairs and tables outside for us and we all had breakfast outdoors in front of the house so we could watch and greet all the runners. We also had a speaker and music playing. It was so nice! If I ever go back to New Orleans...I know where I am staying! HH Whitney House!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kyndra S
baltimore
Reviewed 21 March 2012

An ideal location for a reunion! Six of us gathered from different locations to celebrate birthdays, friendship, recovery, gratitude and grace! Glen, Randy, Maria, and RA welcomed us into their home and hearts. They extended themselves in every way and we are grateful for the attention, the love they extended,and all the wonderful food we enjoyed. Thank you!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I would recommend this place to friends (and did) for a relaxed stay just outside the French Quarter, and a short walk to Frenchman Street music venues. HH Whitney is in a quiet residential neighborhood on Esplanade that's close enough to walk to the French Quarter but away from the late-night noise that can be part of French Quarter hotel experiences.

I really enjoyed my stay there - I had the Groom's Room, which would be comfortable for 1 or 2 people. The Groom's Room shared a bathroom and shower (in separate rooms down the hall) with the Bride's Room but in early February, I had use of facilities to myself the first two nights. The B & B is elegantly furnished without being fussy, with a sitting room that had comfortable seating for reading or relaxing downstairs, a dining room, and kitchen where the owners had snacks and a refrigerator stocked with soft drinks for guests. Stairs lead to guest rooms upstairs and I was able to use the free wi-fi to research my activities, and get driving directions. I met some nice guests from across the U.S. also staying there and discussed different New Orleans activities with them since it was my 8th NOLA trip. Glen was a most gracious host and was very helpful to first-time visitors, telling them about museums and attractions, restaurants, shopping, giving directions and advice about avoiding sketchy neighborhoods.

I had rented a car to do plantation tours one day and swamp tour the next so I was usually the first guest out the door in the morning as I wanted to get an early start each day as it was a bit of a drive out of New Orleans to each activity. Maria, who cooks breakfast and does housekeeping, accommodated me with breakfast each day; in fact, the day of the swamp tour, it was a little longer drive and I was only going to have cereal and a little coffee and Maria made me a breakfast ham and cheese croissant to go that morning.

In fact, some friends who live in Kenner came by to pick me up for dinner one night, saw the accommodations inside, and met Glen, then said that they were sufficiently impressed and would tell out-of-town visitors that HH Whitney would be a good place to stay.

Room Tip: All guest rooms are upstairs, some with their own bathrooms; Bride's Room and Groom's Room s...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Kaufu
Madison, WI
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were met promptly by Randy & Glen and the first thing I noticed was the pictures did not do it justice. I'm used to alway's being underwehlmed but was very pleasantly surprised. Glen gave us great advise for local restaurants and bars and we enjoyed the walk down Esplanade looking at the old homes and mansions- very eclactic with some pristine and other's having seen better days which is very typical of New Orleans. A reasonable walk from to the French Quarter and though Glen suggested taking a cab home in the evening we did walk home several times at night because Esplanade is so well traveled. The breakfasts were great and we loved the hot tub in the seclude back of the B&B. Also, take time to walk down the opposite way of Esplanade to the city park along with the art museum and out door sculpure park... beautiful on a sunny day. Though we don't know when we will be back my wife Pamela and I are sure to check for vacancy at HH Whitney!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I can't say enough good things about HH Whitney. This past weekend was mine and hubby's 2nd stay at this gorgeous, amazing home but this time, with our 18 year old son in tow, on a college visit. First off, the house is seriously gorgeous and completely IMMACULATE. No detail has been spared. There is a pool, a hot tub, snacks, drinks, and kick-butt breakfast. Glen is a SUPER host and is an EXCELLENT source of information on all the really cool stuff to do in NOLA- the best tours, restaurants, etc. My husband is *not* a good traveller and is normally very uncomfortable in hotels, but at HH he feels right at home. Though the house is not on the Quarter, it is a short walk or cab ride away and is very quiet, and safe. My son also commented how he just felt right at home there and loved the vibe. I am honestly so grateful for the hospitality we have been shown there and feel like I have a home in NOLA now. My son is considering Loyola for colleges and Glen immediately offered to be an emergency contact for him, which gives us much comfort. So wonderful. I can't wait to go back!!! Please do yourself a favor and book a room here immediately...just save a room for us! :-)

Room Tip: If you are a family, I'd recommend booking the Bride and Groom's room, as you will share a b...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family