“Full of character, and characters!”

HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade
Ranked #44 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Huntsville, Canada
“Full of character, and characters!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

To celebrate my wife’s 60th we drove 1600 miles from Canada to spend a week in New Orleans. After a lot of research we chose HH Whitney because it looked beautiful and – most importantly – had a pool. Glen, our host, was very helpful in the booking process and suggestions of things to do that fit our interests.

We arrived on a Monday around 6 to an empty home with instructions on how to gain entry. Glen’s mom was recently taken to the hospital and this was obviously a stressful time for him. His ex-partner Randy did pull into the driveway while we were loading in, as he lives next door. There never was a tour of the home, but we were very impressed with it – exactly what we hoped and expected – filled with antiques and beautifully decorated.

Our kids and their partners (24 – 30) were scheduled to fly-in for four days later in the week, so we basically rented the whole house for the week. Beds were comfortable and the rooms beautiful.

The grounds could have used some maintenance but not to the point that it impacted on our vacation. Being August it was really hot and we constantly used the pool and were very thankful it was there.

Glen and Randy had an adopted daughter living next door, who was a real sweetheart. We love kids and it was not an issue, but if you don’t want a 4 year old around (for breakfast, in the pool etc.) then that might be a game changer.

The little girls mom cooks breakfast, and since we always arrived at 9:30 there was a little bit of an attitude but nothing overt. She basically remained in the background for the bulk of the stay, with a cell phone permanently stuck to her ear.

All of us had a problem with Glen’s attitude. He got put off easily and severely reprimanded one of our kids for a drunken incident that shouldn’t have happened. Unfortunately no amount of apologizing seemed to help and Glen called them liars to their face rather that take the high road and let it slide. (it involved wearing Glen’s Mardi Gras mask in the pool at night).

This was a recurrent theme in the house – when Glen isn’t happy, everybody is unhappy. He was over opinionated and often condescending. Not good qualities in a B&B host. To be fair he was also very helpful at times, it was just that we always felt like intruders rather than paying guests.

Randy, on the other hand, was gregarious and fun to be around. He invited us to his favorite gay bar on Bourbon Street and bought us a round of drinks, which we appreciated. He also invited us to join him and friends for dinner at the house but we only had four days to spend together as a family so gracefully declined.

All in all we had a fabulous time and were very happy with the accommodations, price and location. If the host’s has less strong opinions about everything, listened more than talked and more consideration for the atmosphere for the guests it would have been perfect!

Room Tip: Solarium the way to go!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ross C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My son was moving from Chicago to Nola in Feb.2013. I booked HHW via their website, followed by a very detailed email of our travel itinerary. Then a phone conversation informing owner of our plans. We rented a van, loaded up his furniture and proceeded to drive, white knuckled and afraid, through a major snowstorm in Illinois. Had to stop in Memphis for the night. Called owner from Memphis early next morning to say we may be late, but miraculously arrived right on time. Stumbled out of van... bedraggled, frazzled, exhausted, dirty, and stressed from the 20 hour drive. Owner met us at the door, and started complaining how HE had a rough day. Then insisted we take a major tour of his home and hear all of his rules. Was obviously insulted when my son decided to leave 15 minutes into the tour, to unload his furniture at a friend's house nearby. He was to stay with me the first night (probably. Not sure what he was going to do, but I put his name on the reservation in case he wanted to stay in the beautiful, 2 room suite.) Owner told us breakfast was from 8-10 am.
Next morning, son goes downstairs at 9:30am to get me coffee (I'm not a morning person) and have breakfast for himself. Owner, standing by stove with a giant pile of waffles, told son "Breakfast is over!" Two hours later, when I went to kitchen to grab a bottled water, the waffles were STILL sitting there. And we had to go out to a restaurant to eat.
The hostile attitude continued for entire 3 days. My husband flew down the next day to make the drive home with me. Even though I informed owner 5 times about this, he acted surprised and put out when my husband arrived. The whole time, we felt like unwelcome guests...or like we were "in trouble" because I slept til 930 every morning, or we came home too late from the French Quarter. (10 pm?) We felt like teenagers sneaking in and out the front door without disturbing owner, or without offending him because we didn't care to sit in the parlor and be entertained by the ever-present 5 year old self-proclaimed "Princess" who inhabited the home as well. She was cute, but when we did try to talk to her...dirty looks from owner, as if we were not worthy to interact with his child.
Very twilight zone-ish.
Icing on cake was owner confronting me on the stairs as I was running up after a shopping trip to go to bathroom...and demanding to know exact time we would be departing the next day. Uhmmmm, well, we are driving 20 hours home...and check out is at 11...and breakfast ends at 10 (or 930? Or whenever owner decides to get pissy because you don't set your alarm for 730, to be at table by 8? Little did I know, breakfast wasn't SERVED from 8 to 10am...breakfast was a mandatory 2 hour ordeal, from 8-10...don't bother showing up if you're late!) Anyway, when I couldn't come up with an EXACT time, like 10:37 am departure, and said 10:30-11-ish?, this enraged owner to the point that he raised his voice at me and started in on how communication was essential in his home.
Interesting concept from someone who never listened to any of the information I gave about arrival time, mode of transport, number of guests, reason for our trip, driving through storm debacle, etc. I told him that I refused to argue, ran up the stairs, and made an escape rope out of bedsheets to rappel out the second story window the next day, rather than be confronted by this guy again.(Lol-kidding! There weren't any extra linens in the room to make a bed, let alone an escape rope... despite owner being told that my adult son would likely crash on the couch. Next day, when he discovered that I had taken sheets out of the hallway closet to make up an extra sleeping place...I was reprimanded for not waking the owner up at midnight to ask for sheets! Really? Is there something wrong with this picture?) It was truly traumatizing for me because I was already emotional about moving my 27 year old son thousands of miles away from home, and was just exhausted by the trip, the drive and the snow storms. And owner. Mostly the owner.
Owner didn't appear to sympathize or care about how I felt. It was all about him. Very weird.
The house is absolutely gorgeous, but water pressure in shower is ridiculous. I heard the food was pretty good. Location perfect for us. I would stay there again if the owner wasn't home.

Room Tip: Room at front of home with balcony is gorgeous and comfortable...but street noise is pretty loud.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Road-Less-Traveled31
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I escorted by family to their first visit of New Orleans. I had been there many times in the past, but primarily in the French Quarter. I had not experienced first hand the Victorian stylings offered by the HH Whitney House.

When you arrive you may be intimidated, as the surrounding neighborhood can sway from decrepit to opulent. Which is really the case for most of New Orleans.

Walking inside is like traveling through the way-back machine and finding yourself anywhere from 1800-1920. This home is beautiful. There are scars yes, but in total the home is a wonderful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the Big Easy.

Our hosts, Glen and Randy, were treated us like family. Their breakfasts were spectacular and their company was both informative and entertaining. You will especially love the hot-tub and pool for relaxing after a day or night roaming the city. It is the perfect house in which to unwind.

You will love it...and the price is very good.

Room Tip: Try the front room. It has a balcony and a swing.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
San Carlos, CA
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the Whitney House recently while I was at a conference In New Orleans. We rented the solarium, which is in the front of the house on the second floor, has a large porch, and consists of three rooms with very nice bedroom and bed. Plenty of room to have a small party with a few friends, and the porch has a swing perfect for watching people on Esplanade Avenue. The bath has a classic old footed tub with shower, and could stand to gain from additional water pressure. The house is quite attractive, with a few very special aspects in the moldings and decorations, and in several ways is quite grand. There are a few issues that require maintenance, but these are not unusual in such an old house with frequently demanding weather conditions, although some of the wooden parts in the stair railings ought to be replaced for safety. A plus is the pool and hot tub outside, near a nice patio area. The pool was not heated while we were there and was too cold for me, but not for my wife who is an avid swimmer. Unfortunately the adjacent house, also a large old structure, is in need of much repair, and this is not uncommon for the areas where Katrina's wrath is still visible. The hosts of the B&B are quite characters, and do everything that they can to make your stay a good one, though they are not without strong opinions. One of them drove us to the French quarter one day, and there was always long discussions of what restaurants to go to and things to see. The guys know the area very well and are friends with some of the restauranteurs. Breakfasts are good but perhaps not quite up to standards at some other B&Bs we have experienced, where breakfast can be an experience in itself. However the overall experience is very good. Note that the distance to the center of the French Quarter is more than a mile, so the best way to get back and forth is via taxi (which come quickly most of the time and are relatively cheap). If you have a rental car consider that parking in the FQ is very expensive and cars are likely more trouble than they are worth. I did walk to the FQ from the B&B several times during our stay, but the intervening neighborhoods, especially under the nearby freeway, don't look completely safe, and probably should not be crossed at night.
Summarizing, a very good place for couples who want a slightly different experience from the regular upscale hotels, and want to get to know NOLA residents more directly. It is somewhat more like staying in a friend's house than in the typical B&B, and easy therefore to meet and interact with the other guests and the hosts.

Room Tip: A few tips: Some rooms on the second floor use a toilet on the first floor. The solarium is nice bu...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Glenn W
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights the end of February 2013. The house is beautiful with many antiques, the bedrooms were comfortable and the hospitality was great. The owners are helpful at helping you organize tours, find your way around, and make you feel at home. We had a great time and met some wonderful people that stayed at the B and B while we were there. We stayed in the Scarlet Ohare room with a private bathroom downstairs which wasn't a big deal but would have preferred a private bath closer. The bedroom heat is controlled by another bedroom, so talk to your neighbors if needed. It was too cold to use the pool or hot tub, but it looks like a great retreat on a warmer day.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Wife and I stayed over the New Year of 2012. The hosts are very welcoming and the breakfasts were excellent. If you are up early and have to get out for something, there is always something that you can make for yourself for dinner, or if you wait until breakfast is served, you won't be dissappointed. The hot tub was very nice to use on the cool evenings and the rooms we stayed in (Scarlet) was great. The home has high traditional ceilings and a historic feel to it. The location is a bit of a walk or a very short cab ride from either Frenchman street or the French Quarter. The walk was good most days to burn off some of the great NO food. Would stay with Glen again for sure. I hope my travels take me back to New Orleans

Room Tip: We selected a room that had a private bath, though we only saw other guests twice, so if we were to...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed the entire week of our wedding last year in the adjoining bride and grooms rooms. It was myself, my then fiancé, my parents and our one and a half year old. After the wedding, my husband and I stayed at another hotel in the quarter for a "minimoon" while my patents stayed with our son for two nights.

The house is beautiful, although the stairs are a bit scary with a very loose handrail, perhaps it has been fixed by now. The breakfasts were great as previously reviewed, and we were graciously allotted some room in the fridge to keep fresh groceries we kept on hand for the kiddo.

There was some confusion on the check in time and I recall feeling badly that we seemed to have arrived early. The thing that sticks out in my mind is the overall feeling that we were constantly being corrected or reprimanded. Randy was quite pleasant and offered us drinks upon arrival and helped my then fiance find a dry cleaner, but he was out the rest of that week, due to medical issues we were told, so perhaps it was just stress but I honestly did not feel extremely welcomed by the other host. We did have correspondence upon making the reservation so they knew we would have a little one with us and about the details of our stay so I'm not really sure what the issue was. I recall at one point him telling my parents about some of the tours. My dad is a pretty simple guy and was inquiring about the swamp tours and he was met with a judgmental attitude. Honestly, after returning for our bags the day after the wedding, I don't think we even received a congrats.

Maybe these things sound small, but I just got the overall feeling like we were a pain rather than paying guests. There are so many accommodations available in Nola, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011