“Great experience!!”

Ranked #137 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Seattle, Washington
“Great experience!!”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May and I had a wonderful experience. My room, and the whole establishment was so quaint, I absolutely loved it. There was internet and 24 hour coffee. There was a good variety for breakfast, and you could sit out on the patio and eat which was delightful. Glinda, one of the front desk workers was EXTREMELY helpful and so kind. I came to New Orleans for a research project and she took interest in it and pointed me to resources, places, and people that would be helpful in my journey.
This place is even nicer than they make it out to be online, and is surrounded by places to eat. Directly outside is the St. Charles Street Car Line, which you can get an all day pass for $3 and ride all over New Orleans. I highly suggest the Avenue Garden Hotel! (Note that it will be changing its name to the Historic Street Car Inn) I personally loved my stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Courtney H
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

You are welcome back anytime, and I hope that we can make your stay as memorable as the first one. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Richard Gillespie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This was our first visit to New Orleans. We stayed for 3 nights starting on May 5th, 2013. We were referred by a lady at the Welcome Centre. I viewed the room before agreeing to register. We were a little concerned at first about the street parking and the flight of stairs located at the end of a long hallway to which we had to cart our luggage however we decided to stay as we liked the overall appearance of the inn. The manager assured us that police patrolled the area regularly and the street parking should not be an issue. After all, the parking was free, the room rates were decent and the establishment was charming. The complimentary "continental style breakfast" offered a nice variety. Although some of the carpet in our room was well worn in areas and nailed down to prevent it from moving, the room was quite adequate for our purposes. There is a convenient street car stop right out front that you can ride unlimited for $3.00 per day. Both reception and housekeeping staff were pleasant and helpful. Our room overlooked the back alley and my only complaint would be the loud sound of dumpsters being emptied in the early however, both my husband and I are early birds and being woken up by these sounds was not too troublesome for us. If we were to return to New Orleans, we would not hesitate to stay at this Hotel again and we definitely would recommend it to family and friends. We recommend that you see the room you will be staying in before registering and ensure they check the room to ensure it meets your individual needs as everyone's expectations are different and what suits one may not suit another. Luxury hotels are over-priced and also charge a considerable amount in excess of the room price for parking. Putting things into perspective, the Avenue Garden Hotel (being renamed Historic Street Car Inn) was affordable.

Room Tip: If you plan to take your car out every day, you may not be guaranteed a parking spot that allows you...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Liberty
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Brontosaurus judge this book by it cover. Looks nice when you drive up but this place is filthy. I found a dog turd under the night stand it took the staff hours to remove the nasty dried up dog turd, it looked like it had been there for days so you can see haw well the clean. And when they did come to remove the turd in question ther was a paper cup on the floor and they didn't even pick it up. No vacuum was even ran over the dog turd. My wife had about 20 bed bug bites when we got home. Like I said this place looks great when you walk up but it needs a deeeeeeeeep deeeeep clean. The room had a terrible smell but that could be that they have dog turds laying aroud Long enough to start tomturn white We found the dog turd on our second and last night stay and I was sick just thinking about it all night long. Also when they came to clean the dog turd they left us no towels to boot. They just picked up the turd and put the cover back on the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Franktheknife M
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. We did research the issue you claim, and while no vermin were found, we have thoroughly cleansed the room, and ensured from floor to ceiling is sanitized and secure of any such issues. In regards to the issue with the dog, it has been looked into, and although we found no such issues in the past, we have dismissed the person responsible for the incident, as well as thoroughly retrained all other staff members to ensure this matter never occurs again. We strive to ensure the cleanliness of our hotel, and although this was an isolated incident, it is one we take seriously.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Sidney, Illinois
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed in this hotel during the week of May 20 and found it to be delightful. The colorful and historic aspects of this hotel helped to add to our total New Orleans experience that we would not have had in a sterile modern hotel. We stayed in room 18 that is pictured on their site containing two queen beds with red covers. It was quiet, clean, and well met our needs. We had a lovely little sitting area outside our door and we also enjoyed breakfast on the patio. The location was wonderful with several eating places within walking distance and the streetcar stop just across the street. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is no business center as advertised but the wireless worked well. The "breakfast" was fine for us ladies, however I suspect it would just be a snack for a guy. L. Wolfe

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

We appreciate that you left an honest review, and we will take seriously the observations you offer. To improve ourselves and ensure we can offer the best hotel possible, we always listen carefully. Breakfast is a changing format in the months to come with menu changes and additions to broaden choices to our guests. We will be installing a business center as the older one recently became disabled.

Alpine, Texas
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I love old historic hotels. And this one is great!

Yes, it is an old building (built as a home in 1897). So it is NOT the Marriott or other chain hotel. If you love character, creaking floors, and original (YES! ORIGINAL) hall carpeting (that is in beautiful condition!), then this hotel is for you! Plus it is right on the trolley line (which takes you to the French Quarter in minutes), within walking distance of several great restaurants, a safe neighborhood in the Garden District (just one block from the police station and the streets are also patrolled by private security), what more can you ask?

Oh yes, and one more thing! The hotel is said to be haunted! I didn't have a personal experience, but the haunted aspect just adds to the charm.

The staff was warm, friendly, and professional. The bed was very comfortable. Clean sheets, hot water, fresh towels, very nicely decorated bathroom, and better-than-most-chain-hotels in-room A/C.

They serve a continental breakfast - from which I took advantage of the instant grits. Gotta have grits when you're in the south!

The ONLY downside was the distance from Cafe du Monde and beignets. For us die-hard beignet fans, they are just a trolley ride away!

I would DEFINITELY stay here again! Very much a great stay at a great price!

Room Tip: If you have any mobility limitations, ask for the first floor, as there are only stairs to other flo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TheTexasBlondie

Crestview, Florida, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great location in the Garden District of New Orleans. It is right by three great eateries and a streetcar stop.

The hotel staff are great; friendly and helpful. The hotel does need updating, which the new owners are busy doing.

Overall the hotel is clean and has a safe feeling.

About a 5-10 minute streetcar ride from Canal/Bourbon street intersection.

A much nicer location than the hectic French Quarter

We love your enthusiasm as we bring great changes in the months to come to the hotel. As we improve, we would like to invite you back to see us, and all the staff here at the Avenue Garden Hotel.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband and I stayed for memorial day weekend. We found a deal on bookit.com that came with free Cajun Pride Swamp Tour tickets (amazing). We were not very impressed with the hotel and here's why:
*stains on the very old carpet
*musty smell
*several moths
*not very dark at night
*you can hear everything around you
*in the 3 nights we stayed there, they made our bed once, didn't clean the towels, and didn't refill the toiletries
*The breakfast was very limited. Different breads, oatmeal, apples and not much else.
*Bottom mattress spring looked really dirty as did the hairdryer cords. That just seems lazy not to have those clean.

It wasn't very expensive but I think we could've found something more clean for the value. My allergies were awful every time I came back in from being outside. The location is nice but you do have to find a place to park on the street. I wouldn't stay here again unless they did some renovations. A clean room is on the TOP of my list of a good place to stay.

If you do stay, Slice Pizza is close and really good. Zea isn't too bad either.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melody M
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I understand some guests are used to a more standard experience in regards to hotels in America, and historical properties are not really like these as they bare the marks of their age. It is part of the ambiance we strive to maintain, and it has been a pleasure to many guests during their stay. We hope to ensure all our guests a great time, and have taken your comments and will utilize them to improve ourselves for the future.

In regards to breakfast, we offer a wide variety of items, especially for a continental breakfast. Many hotels offer a limited menu of just coffee, pastries, and juice. We pride ourselves on offering an expansive menu inclusive of assorted breads and pastries, cereal, eggs, fruit , oatmeal and grits. Also included is Coffee, Juice and Milk. For a complimentary continental breakfast, it contains many items, and we invite you to try them all.