“Nostalgic!!!”

Historic Streetcar Inn
Ranked #141 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

This place is so cool! Built in 1897 and renovated but still has that old charm. Quiet, pet friendly and out front a trolley stop, very convenient. Price--cheapest place on this vacation. Staff is very friendly and helpful to visitors. Katrina knew which hotel to leave alone. Also next door is VooDoo BBQ--you must eat there also!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank hpgent
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to stay at our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Richard D. Gillespie III

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Had a reservation recently and when we arrived, we found that the only parking that this hotel has is: None! They tell you to "just find a space on a side street."

Well, we wanted our car is a designated secure parking area, as some of the side streets in the this part of the city did not seem safe to us and we were transporting some expensive items that we could not carry into the hotel. We asked to cancel our reservation on account of the facts above, but the management went ahead and charged us the full rate because we did not cancel within 6 days of the reservation.

If you don't believe me about the safety issue: They don't let you walk into the lobby as its always locked and they get up and let you in after they look you over.

So my advise to everyone: Park at your own risk and don't even think about cancelling late.

Otherwise the place looked funky but not swanky from what little I saw in the hallway.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GoWithDeb
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of the Avenue Garden Hotel. We take all observations offered, and utilize them to better the overall guest experience.

In regards to parking, we do not advertise parking specifically because none is available at the hotel. Although our new ownership is exploring avenues to change this particular aspect of the hotels amenities, it is a current part of our hotel's setting. I agree it would be better to offer parking, but we are not in the downtown area, where parking is 30+ dollars an evening, and it allows guest who most of the time would be forced to park with no other option, the ability to make a choice on their parking arrangements.

We understand that you were not pleased with the parking situation, and chose to cancel your room with us on the day of arrival. We do have a standard cancellation policy of 7 Days prior to arrival. We ask all our guest to commir to this policy, and in fairness to all those who have adhered and paid a cancellation charge, we could not offer a refund as no reason was given other than a dislike of a parking situation we do not offer in the first place. I hope we can offer parking in the future, but we also must ensure our policies are enforced or the other guests that adhere to them are shown disrespect.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I spent one night over Memorial Day weekend. I liked the location on St. Charles Avenue, though my taxi took me to the Avenue Plaza Hotel, instead. I guess this is why they're changing their name to the Historic Car Hotel. My room was on the second floor at the front of the building, which had a small balcony for relaxing and people watching. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The location allowed me to explore the central business district and the garden district by foot, which were fun.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard Y

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May and I had a wonderful experience. My room, and the whole establishment was so quaint, I absolutely loved it. There was internet and 24 hour coffee. There was a good variety for breakfast, and you could sit out on the patio and eat which was delightful. Glinda, one of the front desk workers was EXTREMELY helpful and so kind. I came to New Orleans for a research project and she took interest in it and pointed me to resources, places, and people that would be helpful in my journey.
This place is even nicer than they make it out to be online, and is surrounded by places to eat. Directly outside is the St. Charles Street Car Line, which you can get an all day pass for $3 and ride all over New Orleans. I highly suggest the Avenue Garden Hotel! (Note that it will be changing its name to the Historic Street Car Inn) I personally loved my stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Courtney H

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

You are welcome back anytime, and I hope that we can make your stay as memorable as the first one. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

This was our first visit to New Orleans. We stayed for 3 nights starting on May 5th, 2013. We were referred by a lady at the Welcome Centre. I viewed the room before agreeing to register. We were a little concerned at first about the street parking and the flight of stairs located at the end of a long hallway to which we had to cart our luggage however we decided to stay as we liked the overall appearance of the inn. The manager assured us that police patrolled the area regularly and the street parking should not be an issue. After all, the parking was free, the room rates were decent and the establishment was charming. The complimentary "continental style breakfast" offered a nice variety. Although some of the carpet in our room was well worn in areas and nailed down to prevent it from moving, the room was quite adequate for our purposes. There is a convenient street car stop right out front that you can ride unlimited for $3.00 per day. Both reception and housekeeping staff were pleasant and helpful. Our room overlooked the back alley and my only complaint would be the loud sound of dumpsters being emptied in the early however, both my husband and I are early birds and being woken up by these sounds was not too troublesome for us. If we were to return to New Orleans, we would not hesitate to stay at this Hotel again and we definitely would recommend it to family and friends. We recommend that you see the room you will be staying in before registering and ensure they check the room to ensure it meets your individual needs as everyone's expectations are different and what suits one may not suit another. Luxury hotels are over-priced and also charge a considerable amount in excess of the room price for parking. Putting things into perspective, the Avenue Garden Hotel (being renamed Historic Street Car Inn) was affordable.

Room Tip: If you plan to take your car out every day, you may not be guaranteed a parking spot that allows you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Brontosaurus judge this book by it cover. Looks nice when you drive up but this place is filthy. I found a dog turd under the night stand it took the staff hours to remove the nasty dried up dog turd, it looked like it had been there for days so you can see haw well the clean. And when they did come to remove the turd in question ther was a paper cup on the floor and they didn't even pick it up. No vacuum was even ran over the dog turd. My wife had about 20 bed bug bites when we got home. Like I said this place looks great when you walk up but it needs a deeeeeeeeep deeeeep clean. The room had a terrible smell but that could be that they have dog turds laying aroud Long enough to start tomturn white We found the dog turd on our second and last night stay and I was sick just thinking about it all night long. Also when they came to clean the dog turd they left us no towels to boot. They just picked up the turd and put the cover back on the bed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Franktheknife M

Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. We did research the issue you claim, and while no vermin were found, we have thoroughly cleansed the room, and ensured from floor to ceiling is sanitized and secure of any such issues. In regards to the issue with the dog, it has been looked into, and although we found no such issues in the past, we have dismissed the person responsible for the incident, as well as thoroughly retrained all other staff members to ensure this matter never occurs again. We strive to ensure the cleanliness of our hotel, and although this was an isolated incident, it is one we take seriously.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed in this hotel during the week of May 20 and found it to be delightful. The colorful and historic aspects of this hotel helped to add to our total New Orleans experience that we would not have had in a sterile modern hotel. We stayed in room 18 that is pictured on their site containing two queen beds with red covers. It was quiet, clean, and well met our needs. We had a lovely little sitting area outside our door and we also enjoyed breakfast on the patio. The location was wonderful with several eating places within walking distance and the streetcar stop just across the street. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is no business center as advertised but the wireless worked well. The "breakfast" was fine for us ladies, however I suspect it would just be a snack for a guy. L. Wolfe

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

We appreciate that you left an honest review, and we will take seriously the observations you offer. To improve ourselves and ensure we can offer the best hotel possible, we always listen carefully. Breakfast is a changing format in the months to come with menu changes and additions to broaden choices to our guests. We will be installing a business center as the older one recently became disabled.