“enjoyed our stay - will stay here again”

Historic Streetcar Inn
Ranked #135 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“enjoyed our stay - will stay here again”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

we had two rooms for three nights pre cruise on the second floor and enjoyed our stay, would stay here again. if you wnat five star stay somewhere else, if you want a relaxed and comfortable feeling stay here, we used the patio to eat lunch, loved the rocking chairs on the front porch, the streetcar stops in front. several places to eat within walking distance. we had no problem finding parking on the side street and felt safe.. the staff was friendly and helpful

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank theoktravler
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us! I am glad you found that laid back environment we strive for here so inviting. We want our guest to have a relaxed stay here as its a New Orleans tradition.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Richard Gillespie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I found this hotel by chance when we had a race registration transferred to New Orleans. The price and location were exactly what I was looking for. We were thrilled with our room, the double that has its own porch and entrance right onto to St. Charles Street. I was able to park my car just around the block and left for the weekend without any issues. Linda in the office was fantastic with tips for places to see and eat. Being there for the Rock n Roll race on Sunday, the office set out fruit and muffins for us runners who had to be up extra early for the race which was very nice of them! My friend and I both loved the room and the location! Right at a streetcar stop. The room was clean and nice. Will definitely check into again when I come back for a visit.

Room Tip: If you need 2 beds, see if you can get room 45. It's perfect for 2 people or a small family as i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jngeer76
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us! We welcome great comments so we know we are doing the best job we can.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay and the room you enjoyed so much..

Arkansas
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Spent 3 nights. Loved the room. Love the staff. The location is perfect. Walk out the door and on to the St Charles Streetcar. I can't say a bad thing about this inn.
We stayed in room 40 and it was perfect for my daughter and I. I have always felt safe here. We have stayed twice now. Each visit gets better. If you are looking for a safe, clean and well located place to stay then this is it.
Parking on the street is plentiful and easy. Safe area. Good people. Good restaurants in walking distance also.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rebecca S
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us! We love that you loved it. We want to invite you back anytime when you are in the New Orleans Area. We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

fairfield,ct
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I bought my reservation on Groupon(Thank God I did as Groupon reimbursed me) I called to inform HSI that there would be a servicedog. First I got a machine and when the call wasn't returned I called back and spoke to someone who said they would call me back(It took several times including talking to Groupon to get a response from HSI) When we arrived it we around noon and I was told by Melissa and her husband who run the inn that the rooms would not be ready until 3pm but I could leave my bags in a locked office. I asked at that point to see the rooms. Mellisa showed me the location of the rooms but I wasn't allowed to see thae actual room. Four o'clock we go back to the inn .( an older house connected to another older house . The hall ways and common area appeared worn but clean. ) I am given the keys by another Mellisa who is the night person. We go to our rooms and we find bathtubs that are stained black with hair in the tub, heater/airconditioner vents with crud and mlod. One room had mold all over the window. The rugs were embedded with dirt ,while white speaks of something were sprinkled all over the bed and floor. I went to the office and told Mellisa who told me "Housekeeping is in the back" I wandered around until I found a store room with cleaning products and I started cleaning. My husband stopped me and it was at that point I saw the cleaning lady out in the hallway and told her the room was unacceptable. I also told Mellisa the same thing.."No one ever offered to fix the problem or clean anything. I called around booked us at another place . I told Mellissa I would expect a full refund minus $25 for storing our bags in the office and left. I called my credit card and the following day Groupon who on a follow up call told me that Historic Street Car Inn would only refund one night(I booked two rooms for one and two nights) Groupon did refund my money but it was through Groupon not through HSI. This place is awful and the service is nonexisitant. Do not go here for the money there is much better places.

Room Tip: Go some place else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank hungry_hungry_hipp0
Thank you for staying with us as well as taking time to complete a review of the hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you had during your stay. We did investigate the issues you mention, and ,although we found no mold, we did thoroughly cleanse the room that was occupied just in case. Sometimes a historic property is an experience not everyone takes too. We have seen this many times before where expectations are set towards a more traditional modern hotel. We pride ourselves on our unique experience and excellent service. I apologize that we could not offer you this experience it seems

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you that we can do better. Please contact me at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We went to New Orleans for Christmas with a groupon I found for $62.00 a night at this hotel. Now, that being said we didnt go expecting a fabulous over the top hotel. But what we got was so much more. It's almost like a bed and breakfast, with the sweet atmosphere and quarters. Don't go expecting a flat screen TV and room service. The hotel is 2 converted houses, taking you back in time. Then again, if you go to New Orleans and spend more than 20% of the time in your room you've wasted your trip. Go expecting a friendly staff, GREAT location right on the streetcar line, and cozy little touches. Again, every one on staff, including the house keeping women are so sweet! Ironically enough, the pizza place next door had the best barbecue shrimp we had the whole trip (think Pascale Manale's recipe with lemon). If you're looking for a great location that gives you easy access to the Quarter, Garden District, and Uptown, this is the place! Thank you for a great visit, we will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the seperate house are very quiet and the courtyard is right outside your door
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julianna B
AvenueGM1509, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2014

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Pros - great location and delicious restaurant next door (Slice). Finding parking wasn't a problem either. And I got a good price for it on hotels.com as a last minute trip for one night.

Cons - There's no heat in the room which is a problem in December. Room #13 is right next to/below the stairwell so you hear all the foot traffic which can be considerable. There's a large gap under the door so you hear more than you want to. The room smelled like Windex, I had to spray perfume to cover it up. The bathroom-yuck. The décor is "blah", like someone tried but got tired or ran out of money and just walked off. And the buildings are REALLY close together. Close enough that I heard the restaurant next door washing and putting away the dishes. I could have stuck my head out the window and asked for a slice of pizza and a beer without ever leaving my room.

I don't recommend it unless you don't mind feeling like you slept in the guest bedroom at a strangers house.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Diane S
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. As to the noise issue you mention, we have spoken with the restaurant we share the alley with. Although some minimal noise has to be expected, the management has worked to minimize this inconvenience to ensure our guests a better rest. We have attended to the lack of heat as well, so that the room is a better experience for future guest who might stay in the room.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stated at the Streetcar Inn for 4 nights in November. It is more like a B & B then a hotel. The rooms were clean and quite functional with cable TV, fridge and micro, no phone. It's an older building but kept in good shape. The price was reasonable, breakfast was adequate and people quite friendly. The best part was that it's only a 15 minute walk to Bourbon St or a 3 min streetcar ride just outside the door. Great location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple