“Good but used to be better”

Historic Streetcar Inn
Ranked #142 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here 3 other times. Something has changed. The room this time was in need of repairs. Pictures were missing. Holes in the walls. Just needing some tlc. Some things add character, others seem almost neglected. With that said, still love the warm welcome and the location of the hotel. The girls who work the reception area during the afternoon and night are wonderful. The man who checked me out Monday morning was borderline rude. I would stay again but I no longer would recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Handy to Streetcar but shabby and run down. Rooms cramped, smelly and dirty. Bathrooms with broken fixtures and cracked tiles, unsecured toilet seat.. Beds old, linens stained and threadbare. Window coverings stained, mismatched and ill fitting. Airconditioning unit noisy and ineffective. Stairs and floors slope every which way and move with passing traffic (indoors and out). All outdoor areas given over to smokers.

Have had better accommodation in third world countries.

Room Tip: chose another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank geriatricgypsy
Reviewed 5 June 2014

While one could not fault the location (nor the cost with a discount), the overall character is less than "shabby chic." The facility from the outside has all the gingerbread and charm you should expect from a "bed and breakfast" in New Orleans. The problem is all the rooms are inside and they are older than the city itself. The baths are rust stained, the walls are no longer plastered evenly and the floors don't match anywhere in the building. The rooms I saw were closets or slightly larger. If you go to New Orleans to be a tourist and come back to Streetcar only to sleep, you've found a great place. If you expect more from your lodgings, find a Super 8.

Room Tip: Ask for a King room to up-grade, but don't expect much more square footage.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philip W
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had high hopes for this property. It is well located and looks lovely on the outside and in common areas. Our room, however, was in poor shape. The room was small, but that is not unusual in older hotels in New Orleans (we come NOLA 3-4 times a year). Our room was seriously dated. The curtains were stapled to the walls. There were several places the paint had to been patched as it was obvious from the mismatched color. The TV was small and older. The bathroom had several patched holes but had not been repainted. The toilet was difficult to flush. The window unit in the room was marked wrong and we had the heat on for several hours before we figured it out.

I now understand the cheap rate. Probably won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rachelbaddorf
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Second time around. Lovely staff and they want to be helpful. The property is located well but is older and showing its age. Peeling and damaged walls, tubs and carpets. Lights out, thin sheets and towels, etc. I really want to be nicer. Spend a few dollars owner, it will come back to you.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChefScott511
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Historic Streetcar Inn is by far the bomb Diggity. This was our first time ever to New Orleans and we hit a home run by choosing to stay here. From the start the staff was superior and our host, Glinda, was great. She had some great suggestions to visit based on our interests and has very thorough knowledge of the city and it's history. The Inn itself exceeded our expectations. I would highly recommend you get room 47, with a private balcony overseeing St Charles street. The Streetcars stop right in front of the hotel and for $1.50 you can ride to jest about anywhere in the city.

Room Tip: Get room 47 - the best!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doug H
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
If you do choose to come to New Orleans again feel free to contact me directly so I can take care of you personally. You can reach me at 504-521-8000 or gm@historicstreetcarinn.com for any questions or reservations you might need to make.

Warm regards,

Richard Gillespie

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I booked this hotel on line through Trip Advisor who has apparently sold out to the people that they advertise for and the hotels that they create booking for because when I tried to book this hotel through Trip Advisor they only show you the good comments. When I told my wife where we were staying she looked it up and saw all the horrible bad reviews so we immediately cancelled within the hour.
At first they tried to give me grief about refunding and wanted to charge me for one night and said I could only get a refund if I cancelled before 7 days in advance. I mentioned that I had booked only and hour earlier. I had to call back two or three times but to their credit they did refund my money.
However, the main reason that I writing this is because out of the times that I called, the Melissas, both were pretty nice and understanding about things. However, there was one person I spoke with twice, GLENDA!! She was the RUDEST person that I have ever dealt with in any service industry. I myself have worked food and beverage as well as hotels when I was in university. There is absolutely no reason for the rude and dismissive way that she spoke to me on the phone; talking over the top of me, telling me to call back another time and hanging up on me before I had completed my side of the call. I understand that these are people that I am talking to and everyone has a bad day but BOTH TIMES I spoke to her she was extremely, short with me and rude as if she could not be bothered. My message to the management is that you obviously have enough troubles according to your reviews without rude employees. Also I have never in my life advocated for someone who assisted me to get fired BUT THIS LADY NEEDS TO BE FIRED. She is rude and nasty and should not be working around people. Get her a job feeding the lions at the zoo or something but do not put her in a capacity to talk to customers. So thanks for refunding my money but seriously, get rid of Glenda. Seriously! Mark Webber

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Central Business District
Royal St Charles Hotel
Royal St Charles Hotel
#64 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!