“Decent but Disappointing”

Historic Streetcar Inn
Ranked #142 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at the Streetcar Inn when booking it through the Hotel Tonight app and only stayed for one night.

The location offers easy access to the streetcar line, which is the best amenity of this property.

The room was small, dated and muggy. We had trouble getting the AC to work and even opened the window in the bathroom to try to get a little more air flow, which didn't work all that well either. The bed was uncomfortable and it was a fitful night of sleep for me and my wife.

Breakfast is nothing special, but that wasn't a big deal to us since the city is full of great places to eat anyway.

It was fine for what we needed that night, but I don't think I'd stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FromBallparkstoBBQ

Reviewed 11 August 2014

People of the hotel are really nice. The location is perfect, close to the city center. The price is competitive, but the hotel need a good re-lifting! Impression to be back in 1980! Old TV, bathroom installation the need to be updated, air Cond make huge noise, carpets and decoration out of date, view on a wall few meters away! Cleaning service need some help! We had few issues, but the hotel management did react in consequence. In other words, good location, good price but you get what you pay for!
Advise: Some of the rooms are much than others. Ask to see them or get the one on the street! Othewise, look in the French Quarter.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bernard T
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The inn has an incredible location being about 1 block from the streetcar stop. It was generally quiet but breakfast was lacking. There wasn't anything to drink other than coffee so I would suggest planning on eating breakfast out. The rooms were clean but expect a very firm mattress.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our family wanted to be close to the activities in NOLA and we thought this location would do the trick. We stayed in room 30...the only room on the 3rd floor. It suited our needs with 3 full beds and a tiny bathroom. This was also a room that had a window air condition with a little glitch... So it was rather warm when we first arrived and when we came back from touring the city. The front room clerk called the manager of the hotel and we got the AC working!! The bathroom was equipped for only 1 person...but for the location and the price we will not complain...we all showered and got ready for the day with a little organizing. The staff is very knowledgable and directed us in the right direction of where we wanted to go. As for parking, we found a spot 2 blocks away on a side street, some may not like having to do this...but it really seemed to be the norm for this area. If we were to return, we would stay again...not only for the location but also for the price.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa88M
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We started are trip early, and picked this hotel to stay in the first night. We loved it! The room was clean, A/C was cold (so hot in New Orleans!), the room was cozy, and old fashioned. If you're looking for the Ritz, then stay at a modern hotel. If you want to stay in a place that makes you apart of the history defiantly choose an Inn! The water pressure was poor, but I stayed at another hotel in the Quarter with the same issue, must be a city thing. Only issues I really had was the bed, it kind of sunk in in the middle and you had to kind of drive around and risk parking on the street, but then again that is city life. For the price it was amazing deal, great experience, staff was friendly, and a great area!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mysterygirl13
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Your honest words are welcome as we always want to ensure the stay of our guests is a pleasant one. We are looking into the issue with the bed so we can ensure it is fixed swiftly.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
If you do choose to come to New Orleans again feel free to contact me directly so I can take care of you personally. You can reach me at 504-521-8000 or gm@historicstreetcarinn.com for any questions or reservations you might need to make.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

So it seems there are run down rooms and awesome rooms, judging by my former reviewers. I had a king size room. I was staying for 3 weeks, maybe that was a free upgrade, I don't know. So, the room I was in was amazing for that price. And very good for any price. Small bathroom but huge room, fireplace and very comfy bed. Who would possibly use a fire place in New Orleans is beyond me but it's there. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Room had microwave but you can also use the down in the lobby.

Location is awesome, street car in front of the hotel. Right next to it is a 24/7 bar and more bars and restaurants all around it.

You will love it.

Room Tip: I had the King room which is great. Corner room 2nd floor (outside patio below it). Cannot envision...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Christopher C

I apprciate your observations. It is true our rooms differ in type and appointment. I am glad you experience was positive, and I hope that we made your trip a memorable one.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at the Historic Streetcar Inn about a week ago on business. It is located in an old building with simple european decor. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They provided a great continental breakfast with delicious pastries and breads, boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, coffee, tea, and juice, which one could enjoy on the cozy patio encircled by the inn.

My room was small but perfect for just me and considering it was the cheapest. I didn't have a window but I didn't need one- my 1st day there I worked and my 2 day I was out and about all day long. However, I was able to peak into other rooms as I walked by and some were spacious with big windows. The a/c was ice cold and the ceiling fan was perfect after I got the right temperature with the a/c first. My bathroom ceiling wasn't completely painted like the rest of the room but the bathroom was spacious. Everything in both rooms was clean and orderly. The queen bed was also very comfortable with soft sheets!

Excellent wifi which I didn't expect because my computer antenna is very weak. I usually have difficulty connecting to wifi if I'm not right next to the main source but the woman on duty assured me they had 4 hubs throughout the inn and that I should have no problems. She was absolutely right! The wifi connection in my room was fantastic. The inn also had a cute front porch to sit and relax or people watch. The location is ideal- right off the St. Charles streetcar, which goes directly to the French Quarter. Lots of restaurants of all types within walking distance. I really enjoyed staying here and would definitely stay again when I'm back in town!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ryl77

We appreciate your kind words, and we always welcome our guests comments as it helps us ensure we continue to grow and refine the hotel for better service quality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Central Business District
Royal St Charles Hotel
Royal St Charles Hotel
#64 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!