“Visit to the Ritz 2 days after Hurricane Isaac” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #19 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Dallas, Texas
“Visit to the Ritz 2 days after Hurricane Isaac”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had plans to travel to NOLA the Thursday after Issac but we had to push the trip back a couple of days for obvious reasons. The staff at the Ritz were awesome b/c we had to change dates for our arrival. The hotel was in spectacular condition without any damage that we could see and more importantly the staff at the Ritz was TOP NOTCH as usual. This is a fabulous hotel, right in the heart of a FABULOUS city. The band that they have onsite in the cocktail lounge was awesome and the service in all areas of the hotel was top-notch. The people of NOLA are awesome people & they continually roll with the punches. Although most of the residents were STILL without power after 4 days they were still upbeat and didn't complain. Even though I we know that their home situations were tough the staff at the Ritz was phenomenal as usual.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

$300.00/night but this was a 3 day holiday weekend and it was a family suite. Great courtesy and quick reception. Great room, nice bar and Restaurant. Valet parking was quick, however for $45.00 shouldn't they wash the car as well? Would recomend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Mandeville, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Two friends and I spent a girls' weekend in our hometown at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans to celebrate our 50th birthday. We arrived early for check-in (around 11:00) and realized that check-in was 4:00 so we asked if they could just check our luggage until then. To our surprise they allowed all three of us to check into our three separate rooms. We were pleasantly surprised since we were prepared for a few problems since we had read a few reviews that expressed some issues.

Our rooms were very luxurious with robes and plush furniture. Two of us overlooked the courtyard and one of us overlooked Canal St. We soon left to go sightseeing and only returned in the late afternoon. We really enjoyed the elderly gentleman, Howard, who always greeted us and escorted us to the elevator and wished us a good day.

On our return back in the afternoon, we stopped at the Davenport Lounge to have a drink. There were only a few tables occupied so we sat down and waited for the waitress to come by. We watched several tables get waited on but we kept getting passed by. We thought perhaps we needed to go to the bar so my friend went up to get waited on there and again nothing. A waiter named Marc Roberson came by and realized noone had waited on us so he immediately apologized and took care of us. We talked to him about our birthday celebration weekend and he was very attentive. Marc was wonderful! He even made us a special birthday cake tasting drink in our celebration shot glasses. Marc made up for any problems we had getting served and we had a great time laughing with him. We took a picture so we could remember him. He was a gem!

We changed after drinks to go out to dinner. Later, we returned for another drink in the evening. The Davenport Lounge was very busy so we moved into the courtyard which was also busy and into the back area called the library with books, a piano, sofas and televisions. It was a very nice, quiet room that not very many people seemed to know about where we could have a drink and talk.

We got to our rooms and to sleep after midnight. The beds were wonderful but unfortunately since I was on the courtyard side, I heard talking and noise all through the night up until around 6:00 am even though I was on the 5th floor. This would have to be our only complaint during our entire stay.

When we checked out the next morning, I mentioned the courtyard noise to the lady at the desk. She told me that Saturday night is Jazz night until 1:00 am. But apparently, people can stay for as long as they want without a noise ordinance. I was told next time to request a room off of the courtyard on the weekend (who knew?). I found that it was surprising that noone else seemed to complain about this in the past because there are several floors of rooms all facing in a square into the courtyard.

Other than the noise, the stay was wonderful. Everyone was very helpful and attentive especially Marc in the Davenport Lounge! We were glad to see our city representing itself to the tourists in such a positive way. By all means if you get a discounted rate (as we did) to stay at the Ritz, do so. It is within walking distance to all areas of the French Quarter. Be sure to eat at The Palace Cafe right down Canal St. from the Ritz. The spinach salad and shrimp tchefuncte are always my favorite!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the courtyard on the weekend to avoid the noise during the night.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mom-of-aj
tampa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Wonderful hotel and service. Location good but still love the old New Orleans hotels too. Excellent service. The Davenport lounge is wonderful and will go back there for sure. Will allow my four-legged children.

Room Tip: Higher floor is best for noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank doralfl
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

This was the first time I had stayed at a Ritz Carlton, so I went in with stars in my eyes. In many ways it was everything I hoped for but in a couple ways not what I expected. First there is no shuttle service from the airport. You must use an outside service, which caused a delay in arriving at the hotel and trouble when we checked out. The hotel is about 6 blocks from the French quarter. Not a bad walk but a walk. We stayed club level so we had access to a lounge with snacks all day. Most of this food was good but we were disappointed in the breakfast. The staff would go out of their way to get what you wanted. Our room was great, large bed, lots of pillows, flat screen, and the bathroom was spacious. the only complaint would be for the price, wifi should be complimentary. We also took the advantage of the couples spa package. It was very expensive and the tip had been including. The service was great although I didn't think the pedicure lasted as long as the one I spend $30.00 on at home. Our massage therapist were super and even gave us a gift when they found out it was our anniversary. The staff was friendly and helpful in every part of the hotel. For us, this was a special occasion splurge, and I was very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the atrium would be a better view other than that not sure.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey H
Monroe, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Well I was in NOLA last saturday to watch Saints play at super dome . I stayed at Ritz, it was our first stay at Ritz, and we liked it. Valet was perfect but expensive as like in any other big hotel,the service at the check in was fast and easy. The room was quite big and beds were very comfortable ,kids enjoyed the Tv, and late night pizza in the room. The courtyard was very nice and we enjoyed our evening drinks there, breakfast was excellent . As everybody says the location is perfect, right in the middle of action and yet so far once you are inside the hotel. I have stayed almost in every hotel in NO and this was the best. Expensive but worth it.

Room Tip: Corner room and high floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pankaj S
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Friends and I spent last weekend there to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We got a special deal through Snique Away. The rooms were beautiful, spotless, and more than comfortable. Howard greeted us as we arrived and each time thereafter when we used the elevators to leave or enter the hotel. If fact virtually each and every employee we encountered greeted us!

After a long day of walking in the Frech Quarter, we visited the Davenport Lounge for a cold drink. At first no one acknowledged us but finally, Marc Roberson did and spent the afternoon catering to us. He made us feel special and appreciated. He even made us special birthday cake cocktails!!! He was so much fun. If you ever visit the Davenport, ask specifically for Marc. You will not be disappointed.

The rooms were so well appointed and comfortable. I got the very best night's sleep on the bed in my room. When we were away for dinner, the maid turned down the covers and left me chocolates and filled my ice bucket!

Although you can hear some street/courtyard noise in your room, I was so tired and full from dinner that I went right to sleep (I was on the fifth floor). But ask for a room higher up if you're a light sleeper.

There was high priced water available in the room, but also a couple of bottles of complimentary water as well. Most appreciated when venturing out into the New Orleans weather!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others. And I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Although check-in time is after 4PM, we arrived before lunch and were able to check in right away. That was unexpected and most appreciated!

Room Tip: I did not use the spa or have any meals at the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends