“Rest & Relaxation”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #22 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 16 January 2013

My best friend and I went to New Orleans for a girls weekend. We stayed in the club level of the Ritz in room 982. Overall it was an excellent experience, however there were a few things that were inconsistent and annoying. This Ritz lived up to its name, it was beautifully appointed and the service was outstanding. This was my first time as a club member guest and I would absolutely recommend that level of service for any future stays. There were always drinks and food available to us. We utilized the services of the private concierge on numerous occasions. The food was plentiful enough that if we didn't want to eat out, we didn't have to and that really saved us a lot of time and hassle. The food was also healthy and unique. We loved the assortment of cheeses, hummus, fruit and the desserts were amazing. Our room was wonderful, the bathroom was spacious and the room was well-appointed. The cleaning staff did an amazing job. Overall, the hotel was great and I would recommend it. However, there were a few inconsistencies with their normally outstanding service. Wireless internet was not included, even for club member guests. When I inquired at the front desk, the attendant gave me an answer that led me to believe it was included but when I went to sign in, the cost was explained. For the expense of the hotel and in 2013, it should be included. The club room was exclusive, which was nice but it was a trek to get there from the front desk. You needed your key card every elevator visit. From the front desk you had to take the elevators to 4, walk a long hall-way to the club room, and then to go to different set of elevators to get to your room. While we were there the hotel experienced some renovations and the water was shut off for a short time period on Sunday. The person that checked us in told us that the facilities at the spa would still be available. So during that time period we went to use the restroom at the spa and was told that it was closed as well. When we tried to use the other restrooms at the hotel, they were locked. Also, we only had to call the front desk once, to ask to bring up another bathrobe. After waiting 45 minutes we had to call again. The turn-down service also included chocolates & weather reports some days, and nothing other days.
Overall, it was a great experience. Eddie, a concierge at the club level was outstanding. He was very helpful, answered all of our questions and attended to our needs.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,121)

Reviewed 16 January 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here and were overall very pleased. The hotel is technically a part of the French Quarter, but it is located at its periphery. This was nice as we could quickly and easily walk to the Quarter without being directly in the crowd or noise. Obviously, this is a Ritz, so it is nice as expected. The layout is unusual and mildly annoying in that you enter at street level. Take an elevator to the third floor lobby. Take a different elevator to the fourth floor, and wind through some hallways to get to the club level floors, where you take another set of elevaotrs to your room. With that said, we wouldn't let that deter us from staying there again, and the amenities of the club level were worth it to us. You could easliy eat breakfast and lunch there everyday, and drinks are available from (roughly) 11a-10p. I can recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Although it is a little more expensive, I think the value of the club level rooms is well worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Beautiful hotel. Staff was polite and friendly. The head bartender bent over backwards to serve us. Front desk was anxious to serve us. It's a little weird when you first get there. You need to get on the elevator and go to third floor to check in, the doorman could be a little friendlier and guide guests instead of being a confusing first experience after a long flight.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2013

This is a wonderful 3 1/2 star hotel. When you first arrive, we were greeted by a chaotic operation. It was close to 2 hours to have our luggage brought to the room, and that after two phone calls. When we arrived, neither the bellman who took our bags, nor the valet who took our car told us to take an elevator to the third floor to check in, so we wandered around a bit and asked directions from a passerby. When registering I was a bit miffed that they do not really recognize the Marriott elite status and the Club floor costs extra $$$, and my room was a European city view (rooftops and walls) even though I requested an upgrade as a Gold member. The manager, Mr. Snooty, said the ritz is special and not part of the Marriott chain. That said the housekeeping staff however is 4 star, the beds are very comfortable, the rooms clean and they did provide a coffee pot when requested. The location is 4-star right on Canal and a short walk to Bourbon. It is one block from Deanies, a great restaurant. Parking is $40/day. One day the hotel was without electricity or water for four hours. A minor inconvenience and most Marriotts place an alert on their website regarding construction. The ritz should send their managers to shadow Marriott managers to see how to make this a 4-star hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Duke001
Reviewed 10 January 2013

From our arrival to our departure was everything a hotel should offer and I must say The Ritz Carlton did just that! The hotel itself was totally gorgeous! The smell of the gardenia candles greeted us throughout the hotel lobby as well as the politeness from the staff and valet and concierge. We did experience a power outage on our last night there but even that didn't make us upset; We had the best view overlooking the city so we made the best of it and opened our drapes soon after your oh so nice manager, Mr. Mark Clark sent us some flashlights and a candle up to our room. He was the sweetest and very accomodating! He knew we were celebrating one of my friend's birthday and sent us up a cart of sweets and something to drink now how thoughtful was that! The cleanliness of this hotel was top notch and I can not say any one was less than polite and accomodating to us. However, it was five of us and we were all looking to have a girl's day of pampering at the spa but they couldn't schedule us all at the same time. If they can change that then we'll be more than grateful! We were also given a later checkout time due to the power outage. I must say all of my girlfriends including myself are looking forward to celebrating our birthdays or special events at your hotel! I'll never forget the smiles of our bell boy Corey and how helpful he were to our needs, Vincent whom we shared good conversation with as he fixed our hot chocolate and coffee for us and there aren't enough words to commend Mark Clark for making our stay so memorable and has us all planning to come back!!!

THANK YOU FOR STARTING OUR NEW YEAR OFF WITH RIGHT!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the manager Mark Clark in assisting on your choice of room that'll best accomodate your...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We had a great stay at the Ritz in New Orleans. We had a corner king suite with concierge level access. The room was very nicely decorated and spacious. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. They were nice to my two year old daughter. The hotel has beautiful paintings hanging throughout and a quaint New Orleans style outdoor courtyard in the middle of the lobby floor. Jazz bands played at the hotel lounge. The hotel was very clean. The concierge level had good food,drinks and desserts. My daughter loved that they always had out big glass jars of cookies and candy. The hotel's location was great. You could step outside and easily walk to everything in the French Quarter. I have stayed at this hotel a few times before and have always had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed at this location for the first time and it was our first time in New Orleans. The hotel is right on Canal St. two blocks away from Bourbon St. The room was always cleaned, with plenty of fresh towels. Our view was not great (wall of another building) but that didn't matter since we spent most of the time outside anyway. The bed was so comfortable and the room service was great. We ordered in movies and checked out via TV which was super easy. The lobby was beautifully decorated with Christmas lights above and Christmas trees everywhere. We found that when we used valet parking it took way too long for them to retrieve our vehicle. We waited for at least 25 minutes and my husband had to go and check with the guys again if they were still getting our car. For $44 per day to park there, I feel the service should have been a little faster. Other than that, the hotel was comfortable, clean and centrally located.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple