“Beautiful hotel, great French Quarter location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #19 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Michigan
“Beautiful hotel, great French Quarter location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Ritz does not disappoint. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is outstanding. The Spa is also top notch. The location is on the edge of the French Quarter, just two streets up from Bourbon Street. Very close to all the action, but a couple blocks away so it's not too noisy or crazy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed here when my Grandma and I went on a 1 week holiday. The location is fantastic, as is the hotel. 2 minute walk from Bourbon Street, 5 minute walk from The Mississippi River. The rooms were beautiful and the staff were incredibly helpful. Lovely.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Gulf Shores, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just celebrated our Anniversary at this property and it was wonderful. Staff treated us like family, food at M Bistro was excellent and the location is perfect for sightseeing and of course, Bourbon Street. The day we arrived they had 300 checking out and 300 checking in so we did have to wait until about 3 to get our room but waited and had a snack in the lounge and they stored our luggage so not a problem. Would definitely consider this property on next trip to New Orleans.

Room Tip: We had a room on SE corner and even though it was on the street, noise was not a problem and room wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I almost feel as if writing a review for places like The Ritz, Four Seasons, etc., is redundant, but I'll do it anyways.

This is beautiful property located in the heart of all things New Orleans. The fellow opening my cab door called me by name (how??!) which was a wonderful way to start. Check in with "Tim" was the icing on the arrival cake. If I had asked him to slay me a dragon, i'm pretty sure it would be done. Customer service here is beyond outstanding, it really does set it apart from any other property.

My room was beautiful and typical Ritz. I had a corner room with a large bathroom with dual sinks in a very large vanity; loads of room for two. Shower/tub combo though but a good shower. Towels were excellent quality, again as one would expect. There was a Keurig set up in room as well (I love it when hotels do this). Great lounge furniture, comfortable bed, lots of light. My only complaint about the room was that I could not (nor could the hotel) get the temperature below 69 degrees (way too warm for me to sleep). The hotel did what they could but the room was simply too large for the small box. They did however bring me a portable fan which was much appreciated.

The spa was excellent. Expertly staffed with many drink options including champagne. The massage I had was quite possibly the best I've ever had (and I've had 100's). The shower stall needs a little bit more cleaning attention though. I was the first person there in the morning and the stall wall had shaving cream stuck on it. Other than that, a great experience.

The room service food was fantastic and fast.

I organized a conference at the hotel and the staff, again, made it outstanding. One morning I asked one of the staff attending to us if they had flavored creamers. They didn't. Within 20 minutes she had come to me with my own bottle of flavored coffee creamer. That is, beyond a doubt, the best hotel service!!

I will most definitely stay at this hotel again next time my travels take me to New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TNConstanttraveler
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and have never found it to be worth the money or exceptional in anyway. We would not have stayed here except that our favorite hotel was sold out, but since it had been a few years since we had last stayed, we thought we'd give it another chance.

On the positive side for our stay: our check-in was fine and our room was ready early. The concierge was helpful in giving us instructions on how to best get to Jazz Fest. The bed was comfortable--what you would expect from the Ritz. The breakfast buffet had a large selection and good food.

Neutral: The service of the hotel in general was not remarkable in any way-- good or bad.

But these are the reasons that we wouldn't return:

-The hotel is awkwardly laid out where you have to take one elevator bank to enter/exit the hotel to the lobby and a separate elevator bank to the hotel rooms. I realize that nothing can be done about this, but it is not customer friendly.

-The hotel caters to a ton of groups/conferences... so is just about never a good place to have a romantic getaway with large groups with nametags always wandering around

-Our very expensive room ($700/night) had ZERO view of anything

-We had 2 king beds, which makes no sense since the room is not big enough to fit them and both beds are so crammed against the walls that you can not enter/exit the bed from one side of it for either bed

-The bathroom is relatively small with no separate shower and tub, but rather one tub that has a shower head. Furthermore, the tub is plastic and the walls are not marble, but some faux-marble material. It's fine, but not up to the brand promise of a Ritz

-The valet is very poorly run. It's understaffed and unfriendly. It take a long time (too long) to get your car (and this has always been our experience here over the years). The staff is not well trained and we found ourselves on more than one occasion handling our bags and our doors ourselves, which is the minimum of what a valet should take care of.

-The location is convenient for Bourbon street, but not much else if you will be visiting more of New Orleans or spending anytime in the Warehouse District or Uptown

-The robes are small and uncomfortable. The towels are unremarkable. For two people, there are only 3 bath towels given per day.

In sum, I have stayed at over a dozen Ritz Carlton properties and this is by far my least favorite. There is just nothing remarkable or compelling about it. If you have to stay here for work, I'd understand, but there are many wonderful properties in the city to choose from. I feel as though this hotel just banks on customers because of it's brand name while it fails to live up to its brand standards.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank GlobalGirlz
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear GlobalGirlz,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your past visits to our hotel. I am truly sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Please know that I take your comments very seriously and will address the service deficiencies you encountered.

Best regards,
Jim Oliver
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I love staying at the Ritz-Carlton because you can never go wrong. We recently stayed at the Ritz in NOLA. Location was perfect and within walking distance to the casino, aquarium and Bourbon Street. Of course, the staff was awesome and service was the usual 5 star quality. If you want to be in the center of it all, but retire to comfort and quiet, then the Ritz-Carlton on Canal Street in NOLA is the best!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The club level is absolutely amazing. The rooms were clean and spacious. The actual club was cozy and inviting with a true "living room" feel. I would not hesitate to recommend this property to anyone. Going back in a month and I cannot wait.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple