“Fun Times in NOLA”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #23 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 May 2014

From arrival to departure, this hotel pulled out all the stops. Every staff member was friendly, courteous, kind and helpful. The hotel was filled to capacity with several events taking place in the hotel at the same time, yet every guest received great care and attention. Convenient and easy to reach from airport and other venues.

Room Tip: Rooms facing inward to the beautiful garden were quiet. Rooms facing the street have a fun vibe.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel itself was placed in the most perfect location, right on Canal Street and within walking distance to almost everything. Other major attractions were a short cab/bus ride away. Easily accessable city, absolutely the most friendliest people you'll meet (locals/tourists) and the hotel staff were wonderful as well. We were upgraded on arrival to a Club Level room which was amazing, it offered complimentary drinks, cocktails, and canapes throughout the day- great value if you've booked into Club. The beds were fantastic, very comfortable, ampel closet space, clean, great bathrooms and amenities. The courtyard was gorgeous, quiet and perfect for relaxing outdoors. They have a small indoor pool which we used as well. Never used the spa services but the spa area was very nice. The staff were also helpful in recommending places to see, things to do and where to eat. It was a great experience to say the least and I went back the following year for Mardi Gras. - It won't be the last. I LOVE New Orleans!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans is an absolutely beautiful hotel with fantastic service and everything you'd expect from a Ritz-Carlton. This being said I doubt I'll be back as hotels at least the equal of the Ritz are in better locations and don't act like the car is being parked by angels on a cloud.

The positives: beautiful rooms (this is NOT an old hotel, don't let anyone tell you that, it was an office building until completely renovated and opened as the Ritz in October, 2000), beautiful lobby, quiet side rooms, great bar and restaurant that really do reflect the style of the city. The rooms are beautiful, immaculate, and appear to be of a bygone era. We had a quiet night in a crowded hotel - something that can't be said of every hotel.

The neutral: Smoking. The employees smoke in the kitchens (as they were when we were waiting for our room to be ready, the smoke rolling into the library room, causing us to leave and demonstrating why no one in the very crowded hotel was in there). Our room wasn't ready when we checked in but they called within the hour and a room was ready to go. I'm still unimpressed with the Ritz never seeming to have my Marriott number in my reservations even though I stay at their hotels on a monthly basis, but I'll survive.

The negatives: I would rate this property as excellent except for the fact that they charge $51 for valet parking - absurd for New Orleans - and don't seem to do much about the bums and drunks that hang around the entrance. Walking up Canal Street is unpleasant to begin with, and the Ritz is 9 blocks up Canal from the river. Perhaps it being too close to Bourbon or just too far up Canal makes it about a block beyond where you want to be. I just don't like walking the gauntlet of bums and drunks to get to the door.

Conclusion: Stay further down Canal (the Marriott, the JW, etc.) that just don't seem to have the problem with the location, and no one charges parking fees like the Ritz. If you want to stay here you can park 50 feet behind for $25 in a garage just as filthy with cars jammed just as close to each other.

Room Tip: 8th floor rooms are nice, we were in 807.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bradley A
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Bradley A,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. I am very sorry to hear that you felt the price of parking was too high. Please know that we review our pricing with other hotels and try to remain competitive. For future reservations with us, please feel free touch base with the executive office prior to your arrival and we will make sure your Rewards number is added to your reservation properly.

I am very happy to learn that you really did enjoy our quiet rooms in a busy city, the beautiful lobby, and the fabulous M Bistro and Davenport Lounge.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. We do look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,
Jim Oliver

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a lovely older hotel that is within walking distance of everything you might want to see in the French Quarter. The bathrooms (especially water pressure) and technical amenities are what you might expect to find in an older hotel but, the courtyard for drinks was lovely and the staff were very accommodating and polite.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We arrived at the busiest time of day last Sunday. Valet and Bell Service was flawless as always. (I usually hate to leave my car with a valet, but I have had such great experiences with this hotel's Valet service that I took my new car as opposed to my oldest car, as I would to most hotels.

The hotel had made a small mistake. I have a severe down allergy, and the room numbers were confused and our room had down. I immediately went downstairs, and they remedied the situation and offered me an appetizer or drinks while the housekeeping staff was changing things out. I declined, but thanked them. The situation was remedied quickly.

Very rarely do I need to use the Concierge. On this trip I discovered that the NOWFE was starting the day that we were supposed to leave. There was two events that I really wanted to attend. The problem was that one was sold out. Rudy, came through, and got tickets to Vinola for us. It made our trip. We were able to extend our stay by two days to attend.

Another very impressive thing, especially if you travel often and have ever misplaced anything. My companion left his MacBook downstairs in a public area. He realized it the next day. He was sure it was gone forever. I went down the the front desk, identified it, and they had it in the safe, secure. How often does that happen even in the best of hotels?

I was very impressed with how quickly I could call down and get the car when I wanted it. Also, with the check out process.

This stay started with a small hiccup, but ended up being one of the best hotel stays of my life.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are very quiet. Although all rooms are very quiet by New Orleans Standar...
1  Thank annakay30
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on multiple occasions. After our last stay I was convinced we would be going elsewhere this time, but decided to give it one more try. The staff is incredible, especially the doormen and valets. Even with all of the guests at the hotel (and it was a busy festival weekend) they never failed to remember which vehicle was ours or, even more impressively, remember our names. The rooms are very nice, but be aware that with suites there is a lot of variability even among the same suite type. The hotel is beautiful with a great location walking distance to many attractions. Having food or drinks in the courtyard was always a pleasure. The only downsides to this trip were difficulties again with getting the type of room we had booked (after having specifically called in advance to clarify as every year the same thing has happened) and room services inability to get an order right. In the grand scheme of things, not the end of the world, just a small inconvenience.

We are repeat customers, and we will likely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, preferably away from Canal Street, especially if it is a festival weekend. Th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans... service was spectacular, wonderful overall experience, staff is so pleasant and welcoming. Along with a celebrity sighting, it was perfect. I asked the staff on the day of my departure about the lovely scent throughout the entire hotel and I was told "gardenia candles burn throughout the hotel".... and were available for purchase in the gift shop. Unfortunately, the morning of my departure I was leaving prior to the gift shop opening and Pierre offered to open the gift shop and have ready at the front desk as I as scurrying to get a taxi and head to the airport. As soon as I arrived at the desk, he had it ready to go, packaged perfectly. Thank you to the entire staff and to Pierre for raising the bar with exceptional service. I know have that lovely scent in my very own home. Thank you!

Room Tip: higher floor, absolutely quiet!