“Great room, great sevice”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #23 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
“Great room, great sevice”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Overall, loved my stay. The room was beautiful. The fitness facility superb. Found the layout of the main lobby, restaurants and different elevators confusing but no big deal. My only complaint was that my bathwater in the evening did not get very hot.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank julie g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Unlike some Ritz Carltons that are more generic and "Marriott like" This Ritz maintains that elegant old charm, upscale atmosphere and design. Beautifully appointed rooms (I was in a suite), very nice lounge area and restaurant, full of southern charm. Service was great as well. very centrally located and just steps away from the French Quarter

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Phoenixfry
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel one night. We drove in from Dallas and after an 8 hour drive all my wife wanted to do was take a bath. Check in was fine but upon arrival to the room the tub would not switch from the shower setting. We had already unpacked so decided to shower instead of bathe. The shower water pressure was nil. The room appeared clean however a candy wrapper was found on the floor near the night stand. After showering we decided to have a cocktail and have dinner in the hotel. On the way to the lounge we stopped by the front desk to mention the candy wrapper and water pressure. They offered to move us, but we were exhausted and decided not to pack again and move. Thank you for that offer. We headed to the lounge, which had 4 people in it. We ordered 2 identical martinis. Five minutes later nuts, chips and water were delivered. Ten minutes still waiting for drinks....fifteen minutes still waiting. Another patron enters the lounge and sits at the bar, orders what looks to be a cosmo, and it is immediately served. Twenty minutes, no drinks for us and we left. We left the lounge and gave our business to people who would serve us. Upon returning from our room we had a message from the lounge asking us to contac them regarding the service. Tired we didn't call. About 15 minutes later the phone rang and it was the bartender wanting to send up prosecco. It was nice of them to offer, but we were tired from our long day of driving and we passed on the offer. In the morning we went to the Bistro for our breakfast which was included in the price. My wife ordered eggs over medium. Breakfast arrived proptly but cold. Toast was so hard it was more like a crouton. Potatoes cold. Eggs hard/cooked thru. We were given a credit for the breakfast, but it was already free so didn't matter. Upon returning to our room the 9th floor had some stench in the hallway like a sewer back up. We received our bill with no concession for all our trouble. I stopped by the desk on our way out and asked for a discount and was given one.
It would have been great if I didn't have to ask.
On the brighter side the bed was very comfortable.
I will never stay at this hotel again....even if it were free. Does that tell you anything?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank momljs
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Momljs,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community regarding your recent experience at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. I have reviewed your comments and I am very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your time with us. I will follow-up with all areas mentioned to get to the bottom of your complaints.

Please know that I will use this review as a learning opportunity for the Ladies and Gentleman. I am sorry that you will not be returning, but I do hope you accept my sincere apology.

Best Regards,
Jim Oliver
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2014

DISCLAIMER: I took advantage of the Club Level, which I would highly recommend, so this review is not for the regular room.

By upgrading to the Club room, breakfast, drinks and the exclusive lounge are at your disposal. Before you faint at the $200 up-charge, add up all of the above and it is a great deal. Large room, one shoe shine per day, exclusive concierge, etc. It's worth it if you know the Ritz brand. The fantastic food, hor d'oeuvres and breakfast on this level make it a great experience. The staff is great.

As far as the hotel, it is an older property that was merged with another, adjacent hotel, so don't expect W Hotel-like qualities. It is old school all the way and it is really a joy to stay at.

Perched on the edge of the quarter, you can walk to some very tourist friendly bars, like the Carousel Bar, great seafood spots, etc. The staff is great and very accommodating. The spa is terrific, great massage therapist and very professional.

All in all, it's a great property for New Orleans, it fits the town and it's vibe and you will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Club room, if available
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank northtexas07
St. James, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stay at the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carltons somewhat regularly and I have to say I was a little disappointed with this one. The lower floors smelled like bleach all the time and the carpeting in our room was pretty beat. It sort of looked clean, but when I wiped up a little water that I spilled the washcloth was filthy. It just reminded me about all the times you read about the uncleanliness in hotel rooms. Also, the first concierge we talked to seemed a little snippy, but the next one was great. The food was pretty good but not great. Our executive suite was a good size, but the closet was tiny.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank HarlanJF
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear HarlanJF,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community regarding your recent experience at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. I have reviewed your entire post and I am personally following up with housekeeping and our concierge team.

I do hope you accept my sincere apology and give us a second chance. The Ladies and Gentlemen would love to welcome you back at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans soon!

Best Regards,
Jim Oliver
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We selected the Ritz for the July 4th weekend Essence Festival and it was the right decision. From its prime location on Canal to the superb service, it was by far our best stay ever in New Orleans. What I liked most about the hotel was the ambience. The decor is definitely centered with a French flair without being too gaudy or over the top. I think the celebrities agree as we were star-gazing all weekend!!!

We picked a club room for our stay and the staff was amazing, as usual. Service unparalleled and the food delicious. To top it off, we were celebrating a birthday on the 5th for which I called ahead to order a cake. Not only was the cake exactly what I asked for, but there was a gift in the room upon our arrival as well. Wrapped in Ritz Carlton fashion was a beautiful, green, glass fleur-de-lis with birthday card and small note explaining its history. A great way to start off the trip and and another reason why we keep staying at the Ritz; the service and attention to detail is spectacular.

Also enjoyed the spa, minus the fruit flies swarming our mimosas! We did not eat at the restaurants or cafe as we spent the majority of our time in the club. Although a price increase, I would recommend the club level if at all possible. In my opinion, it was definitely worth the price on this holiday weekend!

Room Tip: Any room on the club level is the way to go.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 26 July 2014

First time here what a wonderful place and staff. After a tough day it was nice to be greeted with a smile at the front desk. Christine was a great and made my check in flawless. She was also very knowledgeable about the area and provided me with the information I needed to get to my morning appointment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business