“Ritz Gets It Right”

Ranked #22 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
houston
“Ritz Gets It Right”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Having stayed at this hotel numerous times, I am always nervous about which Ritz Carlton I will see upon arrival. Several stays in the past were marred by poor service, staff needing an attitude adjustment, poorly run spa. This time something drastic has changed at the hotel -- everything is perfect.

Friendly greeting by car valet. Extremely friendly welcome at front desk with a very well informed desk clerk who could tell me exactly where the room was located (specifically asked for our Executive One Bedroom Suite not to face Canal Street). Room was extremely large, one full bath, parlor and additional 1/2 bath. Extremely clean, QUIET, well maintained, fresh. Every staff member welcomed us in the hallways and lobby, bell stand and concierge worked as they should -- and have not in the past.

I was extremely pleased to see that the spa is now being run more professionally than I have seen in the past 5 years. The facilities are always well kept but it appears additional training has taken place so the staff understand their tasks. In the past no one would recommend that as soon as you enter there is no cell phone usage and to lower your voice so others can enjoy the facilities. I have had to leave on occasion in the past due to loud conversations both on phones and among staff. I am also excited to see some additions to the massage offerings such as Thai massage. Both my husband and I had excellent masseuses (Angel is very highly trained and I would recommend her to everyone).

I don't know what has happened but the improvements have brought this hotel back where it started - the top hotel in New Orleans. I plan to write Simon Cooper, President & CEO my thoughts so he can be aware that improvements have been made.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
Jackson, MS
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We stayed at the Ritz for the weekend in July. The rooms are comfortable, not large, but we were too close to Canal street. We woke to what sounded like a mass murder on the street below us. It sounded like the sirens were in our room. We had requested rooms on a higher floor. All the furnishings were new, comfortable, clean so anyone would be safe staying here. We did buy coffee in the lobby in the morning, and had to return it because it was such poor quality. You do expect good strong coffee in New Orleans. Have stayed at the Windsor Court and Westin recently and for the money would have to choose one of the others.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This trip to New Orleans was for business and pleasure. I took my husband, son, and mom with me. My reason for choosing this hotel is because I had my family with me and I wanted them to be as comfortable as possible. I have to say, the staff at this hotel is fabulous! From the ladies and gentlemen at the check in desk, the valet parking attendants, bellmen, housekeepers, to the manager in the restaurant, everyone showed us nothing but southern hospitality. What I loved the most was that the valets and bellmen remembered our names and were very accommodating.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Ok, I usually write really long reviews and criticize every aspect of five-star accommodations because I really believe in getting what you pay for. From the booking process (Darren, the front desk manager was incredibly nice) to the room upgrade (just... astounding. Angela at the front desk was wonderful) to the amenity they sent us (something we've never gotten in any hotel... and I'm top tier in most hotel rewards programs). It was just a really wonderful, unexpected, fantastic stay. My friend and I got a hot-towel shave in the spa while our ladies did their thing and it was an incredibly rejuvenating experience after a night of rabble-rousing. Drinks were nice in the lounge. We didn't take advantage of any dining options or the concierge so I cannot comment.
Thanks so much guys (if you read these). It was awesome.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 July 2010

While in NOLA for the FEW Conference, I enjoyed my stay immensely at The Ritz. The competition cannot compare to the wonderful rooms, cleanliness of the entire hotel, comfortable mattress, and the friendliness of all the staff. The room was large and the bathroom was very nicely appointed -- in marble -- with a magnifying mirror (a must-have for me). Every evening I could hardly WAIT to go back to my room. The location is excellent -- I walked everywhere I had to go (even to the aquarium). LOVED IT!

Washington
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Never mind the hotel is simply luxurious, the service at this hotel is impeccable. Really all I can say is WOW. Can't wait to book my next trip.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Overall the hotel common areas were very nice, and the hotel itself was in a good location (a couple of blocks from Bourbon St.). The rooms were spacious and well appointed.

Here is where the "I expected more" comment stems from. My room was on the 4th floor and overlooked the lobby roof and air conditioning unit. While I'm sure that was probably better than hearing Canal St traffic all night, it isn't what I thought I would find in a hotel of that caliber. Also, I've heard about the exception service that the Ritz offers. Other collegues have stayed at other properties across the country and raved about how they were treated. I have honestly received better guest service at the Quality Inn in Mocksville, NC. Not to say that anyone was exceptionly rude or unfriendly, but again I've seen better service at hotels with fewer stars.

Also, the hotel did not offer things that you see at other properties for a much lower rate. Valet parking was outrageous. At $36/day + tax, it was well over the price other French Quarter hotels charge. I don't mind paying for valet, but what makes the Ritz' parking $10 more expensive than the Omni which is 4 blocks away? Another key point is internet access. In the digital age, I expect either free high speed access or free wi-fi. Not at the Ritz. Expect to pay over $35 for 5 days worth of access. My suggestion, bring an aircard or walk down the block to Starbucks where it's free.

I am not swearing off the Ritz brand, but I definitely will not be staying at the Ritz in New Orleans again. Unfortunate for them, as I tend to be very loyal and will be traveling to New Orleans frequently over the next year.

1 Thank hehobbie