“Authentically "Big Easy"”
Review of Rathbone Mansions

Rathbone Mansions
Ranked #40 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Great value, location, accommodations, breakfasts, and staff! It is a wonderful alternative to the bustle of the French Quarter, and gets you in touch with all of the best of the real flavor of what New Orleans can offer. Staying at the Rathbone Mansions made our terrific visit to the Crescent City this spring so much more special and enjoyable. Loved the added pleasure of the hot tub under the palms each night.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

The Rathbone Mansion is a nice place, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and if you like old New Orleans, this could be the place. The rooms were clean and the maid staff did a great job. The manager is awesome, she is friendly and thoughtful and so are her assistants.

On the down side, what was advertised as a two bedroom suite isn't exactly what it's billed to be. It was two rooms and a bathroom, you had to go through one to get to the bath and there was little place to sit and enjoy. Two chairs for four people is a little tight.
It is also a fairly long walk to the French Quarter.

The pool, hot tub, and breakfast were very good. All in all, it was a lot of fun, but four people had to work to respect each others space in this Inn.

Room Tip: Go for two people to a room or suite.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
rathbonemansions, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

I agree with you on the good points and bad points, and have been working hard to fix the bad ones since I came on as General Manager in January. We do describe our room as you did, unfortunately people have their own perception of a two bedroom suite and do not read our description, you must realize we are limited to what we can do in a histroical home, one of our Mansions was built in 1846, and the other in 1850. I'm glad your stay was good other than this, and hope you will give us another try, we do not have cookie cutter rooms, all are different. I hope you give us another try.

Thanks, Pat McArdle-General Manager

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We received a very warm and hospital welcome from both the owner and the General Manager, Pat McArdle, who went out of her way to book a restaurent for us to celebrate our anniversay in. The atmosphere was very friendly and the arrangements for breakfast encouraged guests to mix and interact.

I would recommend Rahtbone Masions to both couples and families as the facilities are suitable for all age groups and parties

Room Tip: It made our trip to New Orleans very special
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We booked our 2 bedroom suite through BookIt.com and specifically because they were pet friendly. Also, we booked because the rooms looked adorable and old fashioned. First, I was read the riot act because I had my small dog and they act like they were never told even though I listed it with bookit and when I called the Rathbone to confirm my room. Pat, the manager was very rude and made me feel like a small kid in trouble with my parents. Also, her female assistant had a sour look on her face every time we went to the main house. I offered to leave if they wanted to give my money back, but they said take it up with bookit.com. They treat you like a second class citizen because you used bookit. The room was okay, but nothing like the pictures depicted. The breakfast was okay, but went quickly so if you did not arrive at the beginning time there was nothing left. Location was great and we did find parking on the street readily available. I will not stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank missyross27
rathbonemansions, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

We are very Pet Friendly. Unfortunately you put your pet in the special requests area of the reservation, and did not the follow the directions on book-it .You never called us, We never knew you had a pet in the room, you left the space for pets on the Registration card blank. As I told you I would have not put you in that room had I known, we have certain rooms for pets and that's it, we do this for our guests who are allergic. You had no pet deposit on your room, Why? because you didn't tell us about your pet. Talk about Rude. No worries about staying with us again. Were ok with that.

Pat McArdle-General Manager

Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed here because the price was good and it was within walking distance of the French Quarter. I knew these were old buildings so I didn't have any illusions about the room. the room was fine and clean-some furniture looked old and banged up but I expected that. the bedspread was a bit on the frayed side but again, I wasn't expecting perfection so it didnt' bother me. Breakfast was good. We were fortunate to find parking in the lot and didn't move our car the rest of the time there so parking was not an issue for us. Staff seemed busy but they were not rude to us. I would stay again, the price is right and you're there to experience New Orleans anyway so who cares if the place is a bit quirky.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I read many negative reviews about the Rathbone Inn, but tried to tell myself they were mostly old and that the reviews that assured the hotel was nice were true. This was not the case. I'll break down my experience...

STAFF- I arrived and told them I had a dog and the GM flipped out and snapped at me saying they need to know about dogs "way in advance." I told him no one told me when I called to ask about dogs, and he repeated, "we are supposed to know about dogs way in advance and every other hotel that allows dogs has the policy" I replied that it was my boyfriend's dog and I wasn't told. I would have turned around and left after that had I not paid in advance from bookit.com. He then gave me the form for dogs and said "if that dog barks, you're gone!" As he was huffing and puffing, I said "I'm glad everyone is so friendly around here" and that must have snapped him out of it. He realized I could report his bad behavior and his tune immediately changed. He explained that it wasn't me, it was another guest giving him trouble. Either way, I didn't care and his rude attitude had already nearly ruined my night. I had asked when I first walked up about parking because we had Xmas presents in the car and was told sorry, if you don't see a spot, that's it. Then, the GM began kissing my butt. He offered to move his car and was being really "nice."

ACCOMMODATIONS- We paid for a 1 br suite and the room we got was definitely not a suite. I double checked the description on bookit.com, but the staff was gone for the night at 6 p.m. and I didn't even want to ruin my NYE by asking the rude manager. The room we got was ok, but VERY small. It reminded me of a room in NYC (no frills). The next morning, I spoke with my the GM about the room not being correct. He thoroughly apologized and gave us the "best room in the house"--a 2 br suite. This room was ver large, with a separate room with 2 beds and a living room, porch and king size bed separated by a curtain from the main room. The curtain was stained along the bottom, completely gross. The water pressure sucked and the water kept switching from hot to cold. The bed was crappy and the noise from the street was really loud.

LOCATION- The location was nice. I didn't really want to be in the French Quarter, so I liked the closeness to the FQ without being in it.

FINAL VERDICT- Pretty good rate, but I would have preferred a better room and nicer staff for a higher price. I would have cancelled the room if it wasn't prepaid. I will not return!

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gracie6684
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We stayed at the 1227Rathbone Inn for 11 days. The room was great, we had plenty of room with a kitchenette, a living room area, bathroom with tub/shower combo, and queen size bed. The room had a closet and a dresser for all our clothes. I loved the entry way with the grand stairway that had a pretty stained glass window. The staff was great, really friendly,especially Pat the manager. Both mansions have acess to the pool/hot tub-and thats great after a long day of walking around the french quarter.
Liked-
room, location,price, staff

Disliked-
leaving!!!!!

Thanks for a great time Pat!!!

Room Tip: Don't book through an agency- call directly
1  Thank dcarroll633