“In a Class of It's Own!”

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Like a previous reviewer stated, I also travel 100% for work and have been a Diamond Hilton Honors member for quite some time, so I've seen a LOT of Hamptons. This particular Hampton is the coolest and most different than not just the other Hamptons, but than all the Hilton chain properties I've visited.

The hotel is a retrofit of an old cotton factory and you can tell they tried very hard to keep as much original structure as possible. The lobby has high ceilings, exposed brick walls and exposed beams. Off the main registration area, you'll find a very spacious breakfast/seating/TV room, as well as a bar / lounge and the concierge desk. The lobby has two separate exits into the coutyard pool area, which is very quaint and comfortable, with 4 or 5 tables and a few loungers.

We stayed in a jr. suite on the 5th floor above the lobby (there is a different building with rooms as well that looks like a newer structure, so I can't speak to the rooms there). Our room was enormous. We had a corner room that was, in the most descriptive word possible, long. Walked in to a small foyer, with a nearly full kitchen (microwave, stovetop, dishwasher, cofee pot and refrigerator) as well as a breakfast bar with chairs and a cabinet full of table settings and cookware. A living room was off the kitchen, which has a gorgeous 42 or 47" LG flat screen TV, and a large, comfortable sofa and chair. Down the hallway was a large vanity area with actual pull out drawers and under-the-sink storage (awesome for a girl and her beauty gear!), and a separate bathroom for the toilet and shower. Our particular suite was 2 beds, and my only teeny tiny gripe was these are definitely doubles / full size beds, not queens. Since I was traveling with my guy, it was a tight squeeze in a double. Maybe im just spoiled with my king at home and usual choice of a king in my hotel rooms. The bedroom area also had a large work desk, huge, vaulted ceilings and an armoire with another large LG flat screen television.

In terms of getting around, we paid $20/person each way to get to/from MSY on an airport shuttle (look for the people in the yellow shirts at the airport), and they got us to and from MSY in less than 30 minutes. Since we didn't have a car, we did not have to pay the parking fee, so I guess we saved a ton there. We mostly walked into and back from the French Quarter, and it is a bit of a walk, about 15 minutes or so. But the weather was gorgeous while we were there and the walk was comfortable and interesting. On the few occasions we took a cab into the Quarter, we paid about $7.

Overall, I loved this property and would not hesitate to recommend it others. We even extended our stay by a night and were offered a fantastic rate to do so, which saved us from having to pack up and move hotels. If you're still questioning where to stay, pick this place. From a road warrior, it's a good one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank asader83
Write a ReviewReviews (1,972)

Reviewed 6 May 2011

We stopped at New Orleans on a week long road trip across the USA and were looking for somewhere reasonably priced and conveniently located in the city to spend a night.

The Hampton Inn is located opposite the Convention Centre and is easily found from the I10. The location was very safe and we didn't feel in any danger walking around it. It is situated halfway between the garden district and the french quarter so very convenient for the tourist attractions. The New Orleans streetcar stops just around the corner from the hotel and a taxi cost us $8 to the french quarter.

The hotel is also within walking distance of the excellent Mardi Gras World - well worth a visit if you're in the city. There are two Starbucks within 5 minutes walk of the hotel.

The hotel itself is a converted warehouse and retains many of the original warehouse features, such as hardwood floors and brick walls. It is in stark contrast to some of the other Hampton Inns we've stayed in in the USA - this one actually feels like a hotel!

Our room was large and very comfortable and, being located a distance from Bourbon Street, it was quiet so we slept very well.

Free Wifi internet access was included, as was a basic continental breakfast.

The only real negative was the $30 valet parking charge, but this was to be expected given the downtown location of the hotel. There was no self parking at the time of our visit.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cost-effective stay in New Orleans.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ds23pallas
Reviewed 1 May 2011

While attending a convention, I was able to spend 6 nights at the Hampton. Since I had never been to New Orleans, I didn't know exactly what I was in for. The Hampton was across the street from the convention center and not far from the sights I wanted to visit. The rooms were of a nice size, the king having a sofa bed, desk, microwave, fridge, sink, coffee pot, and eating utensils. There was a small pool in the courtyard, which was a nice place to retreat to in the evening with a drink from my room or the bar. Breakfast was included and had a variety of foods, which were repeated every three days. There were eggs, omelets, waffles, potatoes, sausage, bacon, biscuits, gravy, cereal, hard boiled eggs, toast, danish, fruit, and many other items. Parking was about thirty dollars per day, but I didn't rent a car, so I had no worry. My legs and the trolley took me everywhere I wanted to go. I think this is a wonderful hotel to stay in and would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I've stayed here twice. Once was a girl's trip and the last time was with my boyfriend. The hotel is a refurbished warehouse. It is very cozy and comfortable inside. I love the original, scratched up, factory floors in the lobby. There are multiple cute little seating areas in the lobby. We stayed in a suite on our last trip and it was really nice. It had brick walls, huge windows, and lots of room. It was like a loft apartment. This place is a great deal for what you get. It is unique and charming not just a bland chain hotel room. I love staying in this area because they are lots of neat little bars around. It is a bit of a hike from the French Quarter though. They also have a decent free breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2011

i stay at hampton inn's across the country for work. usually they are your average business hotel with few frills. the convention center is the nicest i've stayed at. the rooms were huge, and had a small kitchen, etc. only bad thing was they didn't have room service and i think all convention hotels should have room service. i got in late and walked over to the casino about 15 minute walk, not scary but i took a taxi home for safety around midnight on a monday night. new orleans is a dangerous city so you have to be careful.

i also paid only $79 for the room which is amazing. i'll stay here again and again as long as those rates are around. great deal, great night sleep (super comfortable mattress). the valet was really fast also.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room, they are bigger.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nfrasercolumbia
Reviewed 5 April 2011

First, let me start with the three complaints I had about my stay: 1) I found hairs in my 'clean' towels; 2) the walls were quite thin as you can clearly hear conversations from neighboring rooms and from the hallway; 3) I got misinformed advice from the concierge. The first two points were annoying but the third point made me mad. I asked the concierge if there was a cemetery accessible by trolley. He politely pulled out a map and went through the route with me. Armed with my map, I and my extended family, including pre-teens, set off. After some time walking and dealing with crowded trolleys, we arrived at the LaFayette cemetery only to find that it was closed on Sundays--all day Sunday. it's not like we missed the open hours; they were not open at all that day and the concierge, whose job it is to help tourist with these things, should have known and should have told me.
That aside, my experience was very good. The room itself was comfortable enough. And although there was a constant line at the front desk, the front desk staff was always friendly. The hotel lobby is unique with its old brick walls. In the lobby the staff provides much needed chilled water and has many comfortable sitting arrangements. The breakfast provided at the hotel was great: waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit. Coffee is provided all day.
The hotel location was very convenient. Right across the street from a grassy park and just walking minutes away from the Riverwalk, Starbucks, and great restaurants (like Mulates). It's also about a 30 minute walk to the French Quarter and about a 20 minute walk to the St. Charles Street trolley stop or Harrah's casino. Being directly across the street from the Convention Center, the immediate area was filled with convention goers on weekdays and relatively empty during the weekend. It appeared safe enough for New Orleans (although some ladies I met at the hotel told me their family's car was broken into while parked for the week at the hotel's secured parking lot...it is New Orleans.)
In all, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank stilla
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Lobby is a renovated cotton warehouse that sets it off from you normal Hampton. Old wood floors and brick interior. Large lobby and breakfast area with the normal Hammpton fare. Rooms are what you expect from them. Nice location but a good walk to Canal St. Parking is expensive, $30.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business