“Quiet and clean”

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center
Ranked #12 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because of the shuttle to the port that they offered. We were hoping to walk to the port but with the convention center located across the street you have to walk several blocks and sidewalks are limited so opt.for the shuttle. The building is a remodeled cotton factory and is gorgeous! Upon leaving the airport the taxi took us straight to the motel door and we were met by the valet taking our luggage and asking about our flight, he took us to the front desk where we were greeted by smiling faces. After checking in they made sure we had everything we needed including transportation around the French Quarter. The location was great for the port but a bit of walking required to get to the heart of the French Quarter. The room was beautiful and clean everything we needed and the beds unlike other motels(it was comfortable!) We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,971)

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Being an avid Hilton guy, this was a real gem. The old style character when you walk in is very attractive. Lots to look at and the updated furnishings really made this a joy. The two downsides were the local construction making arrival at the hotel confusing and difficult. Also, there were some partiers in the middle of the night which prompted a call to the front desk. The second night was much better and enjoyable. The rooms (5th floor) were large, beautifully decorated and the typical [extremely] comfortable Hampton bed. Lighting in the room is a bit of a challenge and could use more. However, this did not sway our decision or comfort. The breakfast is typical Hampton and plentiful. There were more folks attending breakfast than I typically see at other Hampton's. The staff kept everything fully furnished and refreshed with all the good choices. Not the best area for outdoor walking at night but is certainly not hard to get there by taxi if needed.

Room Tip: Until road construction is completed, the street side rooms might not be your best choice if you int...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken W
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel was great in that the rooms were clean, comfortable and sleep was good. Considering I manufacture mattresses by hand, I can say I slept very well here. I cannot brag enough about the staff, they were accommodating, friendly, efficient and very dedicated to their work.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Really comfortable, trendy hotel in the warehouse district. Far enough away from the French quarter to be quiet, but not too far to walk.
Try and get a room on the higher floors, according to the rest of our tour group the higher rooms are better as the fittings are that bit newer.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oscarsgrandad
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. First of all, the beds are super comfortable which you don't really get at all hotels. Secondly, the continental breakfast was EXCELLENT! I was really impressed by the quality of service overall. It's also in a really great location. It's far enough away from the French Quarter but close enough to where you can easily walk there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Denise T
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had a group of 14 going on a spring break cruise and wanted to stay at a Hilton affiliated hotel near the port the night before and the night after. We booked using Hilton points and I think we were upgraded at check in due to my husband's diamond status. Our room was ideal for a family of four or more. It was a suite with two high beds (I can't remember if they were full or queen), a sofa, two TVs and a small kitchen. Between the two rooms was a large vanity area separated from the toilet and shower, which was great. The beds were very comfortable. We were in room 316 which is at the end of a hall and it was very quiet. The room had brick walls and very tall ceilings. The carpet and furniture was a little worn, but it really kind of added to the charm of the hotel. For being a Hampton Inn, this hotel had a great feel. The rest of my family was in the non-suite side of the hotel, and those rooms seemed a little newer and were just standard hotel sized rooms. After the cruise, we were thrilled to be assigned the same room again, and after a week of living in a tiny cruise cabin, the suite seemed enormous. I think my parents were upgraded on this second night, too. They were in room 416 above us, and had the same style of suite.

The staff was very friendly. On our return visit, the concierge helped us pick a bus tour of the city and made those arrangements for us and the hotel even picked up $10 of each ticket. He was very helpful with all of our questions.

If you stay here on a Saturday night, you should expect a very large crowd at breakfast Sunday morning. The proximity to the cruise port makes this a popular hotel for those who are cruising out on Sundays. Breakfast was just standard hotel breakfast. Other reviewers before me have mentioned the waffle issue in play here. No waffle is worth waiting in line for. :) I think next time, I would go out for breakfast and skip the crowd.

If you are cruising and need a shuttle to the port, you will need to arrange that with the front desk the night before. Early times filled up fast. There were a lot of folks all trying to get to the port at the same time and the staff managing this was very patient. (the cruisers were, too) Unrelated to the hotel but worth mentioning to future cruisers, I don't think I would try to get on the boat until later in the day if I were to cruise again. (I probably will not cruise again, but that is another review altogether. ha ha) Our shuttle time to the port was at 11. We were on the ship by noon and we didn't leave port until 6. I knew by 4:00 that I was not cut out for a Carnival cruise.

You can walk from this hotel to the French Quarter, but we opted to take a cab after the first night. We went two times and I think we paid $8 & $11, not counting the tip. The $11 was going to Cafe du Monde, and we had to make a stop along the way to pick up someone. The men in the group walked to the WW2 museum and it was maybe a ten minute walk. (they loved the museum, too)

I would love to visit New Orleans again for a long weekend and would absolutely stay at this Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Let me preface this by letting you know that if you plan to spend most of your time in the quarter, this is not the hotel for you. We had to walk a lot to get there.

The hotel is absolutely lovely. Gorgeous building, lovely lobby, excellent valet service, which is prohibitively expensive at $27+ a night. Check in was easy, and there is a little market room to purchase snacks. The rooms are lovely and well appointed, the bathrooms nice. The AC worked great. Elevators were fast, and it really is about 50 feet from the convention center. It was very convenient. Check out was just as convenient.

Breakfast is lovely, and varies from day to day. It's a full breakfast, with eggs, meat, fresh fruit, side dishes, and replenished frequently.

To be honest, my only criticism of this hotel is the AC in the hallways and main rooms. It had to be about 90 degrees in the hallways. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business