“Helpful staff”

Ranked #17 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Helpful staff”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three days and four nights and enjoyed my time. The staff was helpful with all my questions and had plenty of supplies at the front desk such as toothpaste and toothbrushes. The rooms had enough space and there was plenty of hot water for the shower. Great location if your looking to stay outside the French quarter as you are within walking distance of a bunch of attractions like the world war two museum and Mardi gras world.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We love the high ceilings and ambiance of the rooms of this hotel in the warehouse district of New Orleans. Across the street from the convention center, a few blocks away from the WWII museum, and down the street from Harrah's Casino. In the artsy section of town. Opt for a junior suite complete with a kitchen and knock back with modern accommodations in this old building. Just love the contrast between the brick walls and HD TV, etc. Great for business, romance or the family. My favorite place to stay when we have to spend the night in New Orleans.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rockwall, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spend the night at this hotel on May 17 2014 and we loved it!. It is very close to the French Quarter. A taxi drive over there is just $10 dollars!
The hotel has a very nice ambiance, they receive you in the lobby with cookies and cold lemon and orange water.
Breakfast was serve until 10 am which was awesome because usually hotels offer it only until 9 am or earlier and you end up missing it.
Their breakfast buffet has fruit, yogurt, muffins, different types of bread, coffee, juices, waffles, sausage patties, scramble eggs, potatoes and there is plenty for everybody!
Their courtyard is so nice and relaxing, my 5 year old boy enjoy the pool there.
Our room was very spacious with a king bed and a sofa and a great view of the city. The bed and pillows very comfortable and every thing was very nice and clean!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rossana J
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The location of the hotel is close to the convention center, little drive to bourbon street. Has good cover parking for cars, and motorcycles. Bike charge is $15.00. Per bike.but well worth it. Skye did a great job checking in..with smiles.

Room Tip: Rooms close to back subject to lost of garbage truck noise. FYI
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeff L
Iowa
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a block of five rooms for a school event. The event organizers had negotiated a good rate of $109 per night, and for that rate this is an outstanding place to stay. I've checked the same place on various other occasions, and the rate seems to fluctuate a lot. When it is higher there are other alternatives (like the Quality Inn Maison St. Charles or the SpringHill Suites) that may provide better deals.

The hotel is housed in two renovated buildings. The main building features enormous boutique style rooms, while the "tower" has essentially the same type of rooms you'd find in a suburban Hampton Inn. Rooms in both buildings are very nice, but the main building seemed superior. The rooms are well appointed, with excellent amenities. While it's a bit annoying that we had to re-enter an internet password each day, the service itself worked well and was free. The rooms had seen some wear, but they were kept spotless by the housekeeping staff.

Parking is valet only. It's expensive, and it's honestly kind of annoying that the attendants just park your car in an on-site ramp. I'd far prefer that they made that ramp self-park (which is what the nearby SpringHill Suites does), even if they charged the same rate. It just seems silly to tip someone to do something I could easily do myself. While I'm not a fan of valet parking, I must say that we did find the valets at the Hampton both friendly and efficient. Visitors may also want to know that there are several other nearby lots and ramps that offer overnight parking. Particularly on a long-term stay, you might want to check out the alternatives.

The breakfast was outstanding, one of the best I've had at any hotel anywhere. It featured a wide variety of hot and cold items, with both healthy and more traditional choices. The hot options change on a rotating schedule, but all the choices are good. Attendants replaced everything quickly, and things were arranged into different stations to keep the lines moving. There was plenty of seating most of the time.

The lobby was also a pleasant gathering place for our group. We even used the breakfast area to have a group dinner one evening, and the staff had no problem with that.

The hotel offers a concierge service. We didn't personally use it, but I overheard several other people who did. His advice seemed very helpful and well tailored to individual requests. The desk staff was also good at giving simple advice on restaurants and attractions. All the other staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful.

The hotel is fairly well located at the far end of the Central Business District (warehouse district). It is literally adjacent to the Morial Convention Center and very near the cruise terminal. It is also short walk from both the National World War II Museum and Riverwalk Mall. The St. Charles streetcar (which runs frequently and at all hours) can be boarded at Lee Circle near the WWII Museum, and the Riverfront streetcar (which is infrequent and unreliable) has a station on Julia Street by Riverwalk. (The convention center station by the hotel is only served during special events.) You can also fairly easily walk to the French Quarter, which is about a mile. The most pleasant walking route is via Tchoupitoulas Street.

The area around the hotel is reasonably safe during the day and evening, though you will find beggars near the freeway exit ramps nearby. I'd suggest using basic street smarts anywhere in New Orleans, but you're likely to have fewer problems here than in the French Quarter.

We had an issue before and at check-in. A manager had e-mailed me in advance asking for the names of who would be staying in each room. I was happy to give that information to her. Unfortunately, when it was entered, my name was removed from the records for those rooms. That made it almost impossible to cancel a room when we had a student drop (I was on the phone with someone with limited English skills at the Hilton reservation center for nearly an hour), and it made complicated check-in because they didn't have a record of any room in my name (even the one I was staying in had been switched to another occupant's name). Surely there must be other parties who pay for blocks of rooms together; if they need to know the occupants of a room, they should add those rather than replacing the original person who booked the room with someone else. This problem is the main reason I am giving the hotel only "4" on a scale of 5.

Room Tip: The original building has rooms that are larger and have more character than the tower. The main bu...
2 Thank dmbia
Tulsa, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Be VERY specific about what you want and call back at least two different times to confirm that all of your requests are entered in the system. The staff on site will not be able to fix your reservation if it isn't what you wanted. We were a group of 12 with four rooms and ended up on multiple floors of different buildings instead of being together. We had asked for a roll-away in advance, it was even on the reservation in the computer, and we still had to call the desk twice and didn't get it until after 11:30 pm.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

3 Thank Daniel W
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that, overall, you had an enjoyable stay; however, I am sorry to hear about the disappointing encounter you had confirming your room preferences. I will be sure to investigate the missteps that occurred and will address them with the team. I appreciate you letting us know about your experience and look forward to welcoming you back for the stay you expect and the stay I am confident we can provide!
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I attended the IRA International Reading Convention in May and the hotel was half a block from the Convention Center. The rooms were spacious and included a microwave and refrigerator. Breakfast was included and there was a huge buffet of everything from cold to hot foods and a variety. The service was unbelievable. I was expecting an overnight express delivery and the desk signed for it and had it sitting on my luggage the next day. You also need to check out the concierge T C Perry. He knows everything about New Orleans and recommended places we would have never found. He made all our reservations (which included discounts) and advised us on the best modes of transportation. This is not my first visit to New Orleans and I have stayed at other hotels and I couldn't recommend a better hotel than the Hampton.

Room Tip: We had a standard room with a king size bed on the 5th floor and I never had any problems with noise...
2 Thank Marlene W
Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that our service, accommodations and location were exactly what you were looking for. We also think that T.C. is top notch! Thanks for dubbing us the best hotel in New Orleans. It’s always refreshing to hear that our efforts don’t go unnoticed. I will share your feedback with the staff at our next gathering and pass along the “kudos.” We look forward to making you feel at home again soon!