“"Different strokes 4 different folks"”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #147 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“"Different strokes 4 different folks"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Here's the deal a lot of people like to only see the negative of any & everything. Their is a lot of positive & up's about this hotel. 1st off it is 2 me a hidden treasure. It is located in the Treme area of the city, which is also the area known 4 it's second lines. The neighborhood is always full of life. The Empress Hotel offers very affordable rates that could fit anybody's budget, which is a good thing in this economy. I even heard this Hotel was open 4 Hurricane Issac, kept it's doors open 2 anyone who was in need. I stayed @ this hotel 4 Mardi Gras 2012. I was very content, I had a color cable television, a comfortable bed, a full bathrm. (W/ both tub & shower) also their was a very nice cozy balcony, where I sat outside & enjoyed the beautiful weather. I also enjoyed the free coffee in the morning, my whole 3 days I was there the coffe was put out hot & on time. Their was also a clerk on duty 24 hrs. and very helpful. The cab service was fast and responded to the hotel almost immediately. I had several different local restaurants delivery delicious food to me @ this hotel. Overall I would give hotel a thumbs up because their is a lot of things that we can overlook when we're being judgemental. I'm just saying it was afordable & worth it & I plan 2 stay again @ The Empress Hotel this Mardi Gras 2014. It is 2 me a striving small hotel with a lot of good benefits. Don't believe every review that is written about a business, because again their are going 2 be people that cannot be pleased. Give this a shot & u won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LoveLife0924
empresshotel00, Public Relations Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for this positive review. It is true that we kept our doors open during Hurricane Issac, and maintained all of our reservations during that time. It is not our desire to put people out on the street during such a time. We feel as if our guests are our family..part of having a small business. We still have our hot coffee on the balcony, free wifi, and cable tv. We look forward to seeing you again for Mardi Gras! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I've seen jail cells nicer than this place. The walls look like someone got shot in the room hours before it happened...dirty sheets no tv NO REFUND. I'm even going out of my way to review this bad hotel on other sites. They will never go out of business due to the high volume of hookers in the area. One guy tried stealing my bag right next to me.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Spacy504
We are sorry you weren't happy with your stay. We do not put up with prostitution of any kind. All of our rooms have a television. If there is any issue you only have to alert the clerk and they will accommodate you.

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed here for one night at the beginning of March 2013. Well, I say a night – I arrived at 1am and left at 7am. I just couldn't stand another minute in the tiny scuzzy room that stank of stale smoke, had dubious stains on the sheets and a very undulating floor. I had no choice but to stay there as there was a huge conference in town and the other hotel I stayed at ("Rennaisance Arts") was fully booked for my last night in this great city. Having said that, the girl at reception couldn't have exuded more Southern charm. She deserves better!

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mershall
Our hotel is very small, and we are glad that we were able to accommodate you for your stay. I'm sorry the clerk didn't get you whatever you needed to be happy with the room.
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

the room was extremely small with the smell of smoke in the air,walls, bed and bathroom. The bathroom was dark and dirty and looked like it had not been upgraded since the 1980's. It was a room where you ask yourself "is there a camera in here?". Overall the staff was nice but the hotel was shady. There is only one room key per room and must be left at check before leaving the building. If you do decide to stay here bring some type of shower shoe, and I also recommend sleeping on top of the blanket becuase who knows when the last time it was actually changed/cleaned.

For those of you who have seen the movie "BIG" with Tom Hanks, the hotel/room felt/looked like the one he stays in.

The only positive is that it is close to the french quarter, about a 15 minute walk. The area seems dangerous but people are actualy quite friendly and it was safe to walk around (i was alone).

You get what you pay for, and I'm sure this hotel is paid for by the hour more often than not. I doubt the health inspector has ever been here or anyone from the local government to check up on building codes. If you want cheap, you found it. But if you want sanitary, go somewhere else!

Room Tip: there are no good rooms!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bob s
We have never failed a health inspection. Our rooms are small, but clean. We do not have hourly rates. We request that guests drop their key because we do not use electronic keys, but actual keys. By dropping your key we ensure that it is not lost and we do not have to change a lock in the middle of the night. It also makes it easy for you because you don't have to worry about losing it, and it is always available for you when you come back to the hotel. Our sheets are changed every other day when you are staying and are changed when you leave the hotel and the room is cleaned. We hope this answered some of your questions.
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is a NO star hotel. Most fo the people who stay there actually live there. It's that kind of place. The rooms are small and some are better than others, the first room we got had dirty sheets and the sink would not drain, they gave us another room and it was surprisingly nicer and bigger. Don't get your hopes up - this is a dorm, at best. You have to leave your room key at the desk when leaving the building, and be buzzed in if returning after 11 pm. That being said, that staff is very nice. Despite the questionable appearance of some residents, we were never bothered, hassled, etc. It's very quiet at night - people who live there have jobs, so no partying going on. I'm sure there are drugs being sold and used there - that was pretty obvious. If you are "doing" New Orleans the right way - you will spend so little time in the hotel that it won't matter where you stay. Also parking is free, and it's only 2 blocks from the quarter. This place is not for the faint of heart, but it's not as scary as it might seem.

Room Tip: second floor - you won't hear poeple being buzzed in at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna S
We use actual keys, and we don't want a guest to have to wait for us to change a lock. The "drop key" system is convenient and easy and you don't have to worry about losing keys. We are glad that you let the clerk know of your issue with the room and that they were given a chance to accommodate you. We do not have anyone living at our hotel. We do have regular guests who rent with us often. We are happy you stayed with us.
Edgewater, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

I booked before Hurricane Sandy- after the airports were closed. I was unable to contact the hotel. When I finally contacted the next week, they told me they were without power. They refused to refund any money or give me a credit. I contacted Better Business Bureau and they refused to respond to them. I should have read the reviews before I even booked.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Darlene W
There is a generous cancellation policy in place on all reservations. We only ask that both parties abide by what they agree to abide by when booking (or setting up booking). Unfortunately the Empress Hotel can not predict acts of God. Louisiana has hurricanes, California earthquakes, etc etc. We also can not control Entergy, our city power company (although trust, we wish we could!) Sorry we couldn't accommodate you during that particular time.
Austin, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Arrive after dark, need a key to get through the door. Desk clerk looks like Milky from Me, Myself and Irene... wearing a white apron... behind a glass wall. When you go into the room, the bed might as well be on the floor, with a 1980s comforter, and one pillow. NO BOX SPRING, just mattress sitting on the frame. The tv was the size of an ipad, and bolted to the wall. Space heater... AC unit in the window. The bathroom- you could see the toilets pipes outside the wall, the shower curtain was nailed to the wall on one side, so you couldn't steal it. One towel... One bar of soap. Room was about 10x10 if you are lucky. In a horrible part of town for "out of towners" NOT easily accessible to bourbon st.... NON REFUNDABLE FIRST NIGHT!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chance G
We are sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. It is a one star economy Euro-style hotel...not a four star hotel. That being said, it's small, clean, and great for the price.