“VERY UPSET!!!!”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #148 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 6 August 2013

LET ME SAY THIS FIRST: MY BF BOUGHT ME A GLASS MASQUERADE WITH NEW ORLEANS 2013 PAINTED ON IT AND SOME ONE STOLE IT OUT OF MY ROOM THE SECOND DAY WE WERE THERE I WAS SO UPSET I STILL CRY ABOUT IT. Me and My bf took our first trip to New Orleans thru July 1-6 and we were very upset with the room conditions. Had to leave the key before leaving couldnt leave the AC on when we left and the tv was so far up and small you couldnt see it not like they actually had real cable. There was tons of water roaches which freaked me out. all you could smell all night was POT (weed) and or cigarettes. it was so hot everyday that when we would get to our room it would be hot as an oven and the bed was too small for a 200lb woman (me) and 135lb man. the bathroom was nasty and the sheets were nasty. after finding out my mask was stolen i wrote a note saying stay out of my room that I PAID FOR FOR A WEEK we dont need sheets or towels and they still came in messing with my stuff. NOT A PLACE FOR CHILDREN. its cheap but not worth losing little items that actually mean alot more than they look.

Room Tip: .No room is worth staying in here
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Genesis M
jbrooks41, Public Relations Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

We are very sorry that you had such a negative experience. If we had known earlier about the missing mask we may have been able to address it. We have no tolerance for drug use at our hotel. If such is encountered please alert the clerk so they can escort the guilty party off of the premises. We have one double bed in every room...it states so on our reservation forms and on our booking sites. We also have available cots for extra guests; you only have to ask the clerk and they will accommodate. There should never be an issue with cleanliness at the hotel. We have housekeepers there every day whose job it is to handle that part. If there was a mistake we would have been happy to fix it. Please just let the clerk know what is the issue and they will accommodate you. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Empress Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. They have an insect problem. It is in an unsafe neighborhood. They don't do refunds. Save yourself the time and trouble and look at something else. I am not overstating this.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank RyanD1977

Our hotel is in a beautiful and diverse neighborhood called Treme, where jazz was born. It is not an unsafe neighborhood, but it is a diverse one. Part of the charm of New Orleans is our eclectic diversity. We are only two blocks to the french quarter. We ask that all guests use common sense and awareness when visiting New Orleans; like any other big city we do have crime. We do "do refunds", as long as there is no violation of our cancellation policy which is very generous.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

My friend and I just needed a place to change and sleep when we got done with our activities but i couldn't even to be in the building for 2 seconds!! there was NO air in the lobby so i thought maybe it was just broke and we walk up stairs and still no air and then i notice there is just a window unit and the person helping us said we couldnt leave the air on when we left and if we did she was charge us 5 DOLLARS!!! 5 dollars for air when we had already paid for the room and its like 100 degrees in new orleans i was wow i can NOT believe that!!!! me and i both looked at each other like we are not staying in the here when on top of no air it was nasty!!!!! so when we went and told the owner we are NOT staying in this pos place she said well were not going to give u ur money back and thats messed up bc we were willing to pay a cancellation fee just not the full amount of somewhere where its not even safe for my health to stay!!! so needless to say we ended up paying for two rooms that night and we were not happy about that at all!!!!!! so i would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ashley F

We are a very small hotel. Our rates are extremely low compared to other hotels in the area. The reason that we are able to offer rooms at such low rates is because we are aware and sensitive to our cost of operation. In order to keep offering our rooms at the rates we have, we ask that guests respectfully turn off the a/c when they leave the room. We are sorry that this upset you.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is a very simple hotel, the rain came through the roof in the hall. The staff were friendly, but very strange. They were always outside on the balcony to smoke. No furniture in the rooms except one bed that barely had room for two persons of quite slim size.
One good thing, though; it was situated quite near The French Quarter, so we could walk to the places we wantet to see.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank abiv56
empresshotel00, Public Relations Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

We are currently addressing employee smoking. It is our desire that none of our employees smoke. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. Our hotel is very well located, and we are glad that you enjoyed that part of your stay.

Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Not a hard person to please, but this place shouldn't even be considered as a place to stay. It's purely an hourly rented facility for hookers. Had to just leave after the girlfriend had a cockroach run across her while laying on top of the comforter because the sheets were so filthy and stained it was just disgusting! Couldn't get out of there quick enough.
Bathroom was falling apart and most of the wall was missing, where they figured the best fix was to staple vinyl flooring over it.
Ridiculously filthy doesn't even begin to describe this sketchy dung hole.
Spend a little bit extra and go to Hotel Modern. Kind of far away, but there's a trolley right in front to take you to the French Quarter, where you go to party - NOT to stay...

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank stuntsterticki

We do not have hourly rates. We do not accept, want, or put up with prostitution at our hotel. We pride ourselves on having a clean, small hotel. If there was an issue with the room all you have to do is tell the clerk on duty and they should help you with getting new bedding. We are sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel. It is not our desire that our guests have such an experience. We are working on fixing our maintenance problems.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I'm a infantry soldier and the place grossed me out more then any place i have stayed over seas. The window was broke and they fixed it with scotch tape. I could fit my hand easily through the taped area and unlock the window to open it. The Window AC worked but its a miracle that it stayed up. The bathroom wow it was absolutely horrible. There was some kind of human fluid on the walls as well. The bed was so bad that I had to lay down beach towels but this is after they refused to give me my money back. I hope Karma comes back to the owner is all I can say. I paid almost $300 because it was jazz fest weekend and ended up only staying one night because I couldnt take it any longer. You are better off and possibly safer sleeping in your vehicle. Any person giving this place a positive review has got to be a scam. Again everything was gross beyond comprehension at this place.

Room Tip: stay anywhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank benton d

Our bathroom walls are cleaned with cleaning fluids every day. If you look at the price of other hotels during Jazz Fest weekend, you'll see that 300 dollars is a steal for more than one night. An absolute steal. The reason we have such low prices is because we are a one star economy hotel. We are happy to offer these rates, and feel that there is a need for a hotel with such rates. We are small and clean but we never claim to be the Hilton (who, btw, have rates over twice as high as ours for Jazz Fest weekend.)

Reviewed 2 May 2013

My husband got a room here thinking we were just sleeping and showering here, so what did it matter? We did neither very well. The shower only came out in a trickle because the rest of the water was pouring out the bathtub spigot, with no way to fix it, and there was no way you could get me to sit in that tub, so a bath was out of the question.
We were in the room nearest the stairs, unfortunately. All night long people stomped up and down the stairs, and at least 3 separate times my husband and i thought someone had fallen down the stairs! needless to say, we got out of there early and still tired.
On the plus side, the staff was very friendly and helpful. It's not their fault the place is a run down dump. If you treat staff with respect, they will generally go out of their way to be nice to you. I found this to be true here as well. They let my husband and me park our car in the parking lot several hours before check in, let us check in early, and even let me use a restroom in a room the cleaning staff was cleaning before check in, since there are no public restrooms in the lobby, and if you've been to New Orleans before you know that is necessary.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jennybenny369

We are happy that you enjoyed the staff. We do have some excellent employees who should have known that the shower was an easy maintenance fix. If you told them and they did not fix it, then we are very sorry...it's an easy fix. We hope that you consider staying with us again.