“Dreadful hotel, lovely staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #147 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Dreadful hotel, lovely staff”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Outside of a place in China, this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. New Orleans can be expensive, and I'm on a budget so this was a cheaper option. The reception staff are friendly and helpful. There is a sign at reception saying guests not allowed into the premises after 11pm and then never in a guests room, only in the public areas (the public area being the reception and the balcony). When I ran water into the sink a collection of dead and alive bugs emerged into it. There were no plugs in the whb or the bath, not that it really mattered because no one would ever bathe in the heavily stained bathtub. I repeatedly reported the sink problem and a maintenance guy turned up, poked about a bit, used some fluid, and told me he'd removed a lot of hair and gunk. Some of which he kindly left on the bathroom floor. The sink was still blocked and stayed that was for the rest of my week there. The location is not bad, close to the French Quarter, in a picturesque street. I would say that with the team they have in place, and some investment from the owners, the place could be a gold mine. It is too far gone for me ever to recommend anyone stays there. No Empress ever did! The wifi is not exactly speedy.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
16 Thank Mike W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was finally able to make it to NOLA! Been wanting to visit for years! I was on a budget and can only stat for 3 days. I guess you get what you pay for. Of was not to nice of a place and definitely was in a seedy area. Me on the other hand love adventure so I enjoyed the area and the craziness that went on at the hotel and the area! It was only a few blocks from the quarter and if you only plan on sleeping there you'll be fine. Don't leave valuables and if you want to do shopping do like I did and do it the day you leave so you don't need to leave your stuff in the room. I would definitely stay there again if I had to but next visit I'll look elsewhere first.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank demz85

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel was very convent in price and area. It was about 10-15 minutes away from Bourbon St and Canal St. The front desk staff were very attentive with meeting the needs of their guest. There was someone there 24 hours making me and my friends feel safe and secure. We truly enjoyed our stay at the Empress, it was only minutes away from tourist attractions and the staff made us feel really welcome. It was the cheapest in town, the rooms were average and the hospitality of New Orleans treme area served it's purpose!!!! I highly recommend.

1 Thank Ko05
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Dodgy part if town with gang drug deals happening in the street. We arrived and were greater by the bill to finalise our stay, no hello etc. We paid in cash and were shown to the room. It was a disgrace! Moths and cockroaches were in the bed and littered across the floor. The bedroom lock was falling off and the room was very small. Wifi was only strong enough in the common areas.
We complained about the bugs and requested to check out the next day instead of our 3 planned nights. We were told we would not get a refund back. I started to argue about the disgusting room and poor service and I was told I was lying as 'the room had been cleaned twice the day earlier'.
Eventually we came to an agreement to get 80% back and the lady then short changed us by $10 which was another fight to get back. We booked another hotel in the business district for around $30 more and it was amazing. Glad we left when we did, for our health and safety. All in all I would NEVER go to this place - not even if your on a budget absolute waste of $250usd.

9 Thank Jess_feurer
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Wel let me tell you first this was the worst hotel i have ever been at but the experience i had was great. i believe that if i would have stayed some where else i wouldnt have as much fun. The rooms are very small and worn out but if youre not gonna be in your room all day until you sleep its good. The hotel is not that far from the french quarter or bourban st so you can walk. It looks like a bad niehborhood but its really more historic and alot of people are walking around there doing the same thing. I even walked all the way to the superdome with no problems there is alot of sight seeing thing around there. All i can say just stay to sleep then leave.

1 Thank Snooze2244
Buena Park, California
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I called Thursday to make a reservation and was told that there were rooms available... The lady on the telephone said that it would take up to two days to receive a confirmation invite!!! Today is Saturday and still no email!!! Today I called to see what was the status of the reservation and was told that the hotel may be booked up!!! The staff seemed VERY unorganized and didnt seem to know what they were doing... When in New Orleans, DO NOT go to Empress Hotel!!!

R. S.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Reginald S
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Rooms are dirty, very small like jail cells, walls are cracked with water spills marks on them. Bed broken. Bathrooms dirty and falling apart! Nothing to put any thing at no closets or refrigerators! In the middle of the hood! Joanne is a rude and inconsiderate! Don't go here not worth it!

• Stayed March 2014