“Encourages you to wake up early and come back very late”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #147 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Encourages you to wake up early and come back very late”
Reviewed 9 February 2005

Two friends and I stayed at the Empress for six nites during Mardi Gras 2005 and granted we were NOT in New Orleans for the hotel experience but rather the French Quarter, parades and parties. But I have to say that staying at this hotel was an experience in itself. First let me say that it is a very low budget hotel and once inside we did feel safe. But when outside you should walk with a buddy. One of my friends was mugged two blocks from the hotel and thank God he was not hurt and only lost a few dollars.
It is located three blocks from the border or backside of the French Quarter and the neighborhood looks old and in need of a very good paint job. The rooms are small (we were warned of this) and I brought with me an air mattress because of the one double bed. Glad I did because the bed looks so old and used that sleeping on it may be hazardous to one's well being. The carpet looks like it should have been replaced back in 1984. The tv is a small 15 inches plus no cable tv or radio. No closet or drawers to hang clothes on. The window faces a garden consisting of an old tub and weeds. The bathroom is also small and the toilet backed up when we first used it and continued to get backed up each day of our stay. We requested our own plunger so that we could flush and plunge at the same time. The plunger was cheap and it sucked. There is no vanity or counter area in the bathroom and the towels are paper thin. There was a strange odor in the room which only got worse as our stay progressed. The staff is very friendly and helpful and will do anything to best of their ability but the owner needs to renovate this hotel big time.
The empress okay for a very short term trip maybe a one nite or two nite at the most. DO NOT have more than two persons per room. Bring your own towels and soap.

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Diego
Reviewed 29 December 2004

There were cockroaches the size of Rhode Island in our room. There were fingernail clippings on the bedspread. The owner screamed at our taxi driver for pulling up at the door even though it was paved, looked like a driveway and it was POURING rain. The remote didn't work. The bathroom was moldy and dirty. But WHO CARES?! It was super cheap. I never felt scared or in danger. It's a cheap taxi ride from the french quarter (I wouldn't walk it by myself- the neighborhood's a little creepy). And as other reviewers have said...what are you doing hanging out in your hotel room when you could be taking in the cultural sites, eating wonderful food, listening to great music, or getting hammered on cheap liquor?

2 Thank travelholicSanDiego
Reviewed 26 October 2004

I booked a room at the Empress online, for a special, non-refundable rate. After this, I read all these horrible reviews of the place and was terrified. We we're going down there with my boyfriend, and I was wondering if the hotel was gonna ruin our vacation. But, I was positively surprised. The rooms weren't big and the paint was chipping, but they we're clean. We got clean towels every day. Someone mentioned dirty sheets in a review, so we brought our own! The hotel sheets were fine, though. The shower worked and the water was warm, the AC was good and the staff was super!

We drove down, and we're a little worried about the neighborhood, but our car was unharmed after three nights. We had no worries walking to the French quarter (very close!) during the day, but when we came back after dark, we took a cab.

Also, the $10 deposit didn't bother us, nor leaving the key at the desk. In fact, it was nice not to worry about the key, knowing it was safe at the hotel.

I can recommend this hotel to anyone who's on a budget and isn't too picky.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Reviewed 1 September 2004

I will tell you the truth if you are a couple and wanting some romantic getaway in the Big Easy stay at the Historic French Market Inn. If you are a college student like me looking to party on Bourbon this place fine. It is a bit ghetto don’t get me wrong. The rooms are really small, but who really cares if you are in the Quarter all night. They don't care how many people you cram in the room. Me and five of me friends stayed in one room. It was crowded as ----- but we were only there to shower and change clothes. The staff is really cool! If you stay here I guarantee you will have a story that you will never forget. If you end up staying there ask for Julius in RM 210 tell him that 5 guys from Kansas says what up!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 July 2004

We were looking for an inexpensive hotel. I would rather stay in jail...It would be cleaner.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2004

I was there in September of 2001, had signed an agreement for a long term stay through september 14th. On the 7th, there was a note on my door that said that all long term agreements were void and everyone had to move out. Then 9/11 happened and all airport traffic stopped, the owner then begged for people to stay. I left. The room was dirty, there was mold and mildew everywhere, the staff was inhospitable. If you are a crack addict looking to hideout, then I would reccomend this place to you. If you are a bank robber hiding out, as was the case this week, then they are your kind of people. The bedding was dirty and I contracted scabies from the sheets. Disgusting!!!!

• Stayed September 2001
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 July 2004

The photo on the website is doctored. We too went for Mardi Gras in 2000, & I still have nightmares about this place. We called ahead of time & were told it was a "European style bed & breakfast" We were also told there were deadbolts on the doors, and it was secure. When we arrived, there was a car in the alley that had just been broken into - right outside the window of what was to be our room - & cops were there. Our tiny bathroom had a big hole in the ceiling, sheets were stained, no telephones in room, and no deadbolts. We were told it was not safe to walk the advertised "2 blocks to the french quarter" - we should call a cab, which we did. (This was per the front desk person when we checked in - he said even during the day we should get a cab). There was scaffolding propped up on the side, and scaffolding holding up the building next to it. There were 4 of us, & we were told there would be plenty of room for 4 people in the rooms, & because there was just one bed, to bring sleeping bags - no problem. Then we got there - room was tiny, barely any room for sleeping bags on the floor. One of our group, who is a fit & buff MP in the army, was even nervous staying there. He put pop cans full of change in the window sill, so if someone tried to open it, it would wake us. And he slept on the floor, in a sleeping bag, with his knife in his bag with him, & his head by the door, so if someone tried to come in, they would wake him. We had to fight and fight, but we did finally recieve a full refund from Empress. We had reserved & paid in advance for 6 nights, but stayed only 1 night. We spent everyday calling hotels & finding room cancellations. We stayed in a different room every night. We did stay 3 nights (3 different rooms) at the Maison Dupuy. It was safer, it was much cleaner, real air conditioning, playstation, mini bar and 2 beds, a real bathroom, bell hop & conceirge, and only $5 more a night! It was definitely an adventure we'll never forget...

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member