“the most crappy hotel i've ever stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #147 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“the most crappy hotel i've ever stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2005

Room is small, dirty and it stinks. The bed is the worst. Springs came out from underneath. Definitely won't stay there next time.

• Stayed March 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Berkeley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2005

If u want to book the hotel by yourself by calling the hotel directly? Forget it! You will get nothing after a 1-week reservaiton process and even u already give the credit card authoration! The worst thing is you dont even know whether u have ur reservation confirmed because they will ask u to call back again and again and dont tell u anything for 5 days!!!

3 Thank Zoe W

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Suffolk, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2005

I booked this hotel months ago in a bit of a rush, afraid that we wouldn’t find anything else during the Mardi Gras period.

After booking a non-refundable 7 nights at the hotel I found this website and was absolutely horrified and worried sick for months about the type of hotel we would be staying at. The taxi driver didn’t help; on the way from the airport (approx. 20 minutes) he told us that it was the worst hotel in NO, in the ‘black’ neighbourhood, full of crack heads and prostitutes.

However, as mentioned before in other reviews, the staff is super, friendly, helpful and kind. The reception area was clean and so was our room. The laminate flooring was clean, the bed sheets looked and smelled clean. The bathroom is very small but everything was working fine; the temperature of the water is changing sometimes. The TV was not so good; it showed about 6 channels of which only 2 were just about watchable. No wardrobes, hangers or hooks to hang anything up on. No room in the bathroom either to store any items. Tiny window that looks out on a dilapidated building and neglected garden.

We never felt threatened though, after dark we ensured taking a taxi back, which we would have done anyway regardless of where we stayed.
I agree with other reviewers, this hotel is acceptable for a short stay; we changed hotels after 4 nights as we were in dire need of a bit of luxury.

But there is plenty to do in NO from early morning till late at night and despite the hotel we had a wonderful time sampling the local traditional food, enjoying the Mardi Gras and mingling with the locals; we will be back, just not at the Empress Hotel.

7 Thank MWheatley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2005

Two friends and I stayed at the Empress for six nites during Mardi Gras 2005 and granted we were NOT in New Orleans for the hotel experience but rather the French Quarter, parades and parties. But I have to say that staying at this hotel was an experience in itself. First let me say that it is a very low budget hotel and once inside we did feel safe. But when outside you should walk with a buddy. One of my friends was mugged two blocks from the hotel and thank God he was not hurt and only lost a few dollars.
It is located three blocks from the border or backside of the French Quarter and the neighborhood looks old and in need of a very good paint job. The rooms are small (we were warned of this) and I brought with me an air mattress because of the one double bed. Glad I did because the bed looks so old and used that sleeping on it may be hazardous to one's well being. The carpet looks like it should have been replaced back in 1984. The tv is a small 15 inches plus no cable tv or radio. No closet or drawers to hang clothes on. The window faces a garden consisting of an old tub and weeds. The bathroom is also small and the toilet backed up when we first used it and continued to get backed up each day of our stay. We requested our own plunger so that we could flush and plunge at the same time. The plunger was cheap and it sucked. There is no vanity or counter area in the bathroom and the towels are paper thin. There was a strange odor in the room which only got worse as our stay progressed. The staff is very friendly and helpful and will do anything to best of their ability but the owner needs to renovate this hotel big time.
The empress okay for a very short term trip maybe a one nite or two nite at the most. DO NOT have more than two persons per room. Bring your own towels and soap.

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2004

There were cockroaches the size of Rhode Island in our room. There were fingernail clippings on the bedspread. The owner screamed at our taxi driver for pulling up at the door even though it was paved, looked like a driveway and it was POURING rain. The remote didn't work. The bathroom was moldy and dirty. But WHO CARES?! It was super cheap. I never felt scared or in danger. It's a cheap taxi ride from the french quarter (I wouldn't walk it by myself- the neighborhood's a little creepy). And as other reviewers have said...what are you doing hanging out in your hotel room when you could be taking in the cultural sites, eating wonderful food, listening to great music, or getting hammered on cheap liquor?

2 Thank travelholicSanDiego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2004

I booked a room at the Empress online, for a special, non-refundable rate. After this, I read all these horrible reviews of the place and was terrified. We we're going down there with my boyfriend, and I was wondering if the hotel was gonna ruin our vacation. But, I was positively surprised. The rooms weren't big and the paint was chipping, but they we're clean. We got clean towels every day. Someone mentioned dirty sheets in a review, so we brought our own! The hotel sheets were fine, though. The shower worked and the water was warm, the AC was good and the staff was super!

We drove down, and we're a little worried about the neighborhood, but our car was unharmed after three nights. We had no worries walking to the French quarter (very close!) during the day, but when we came back after dark, we took a cab.

Also, the $10 deposit didn't bother us, nor leaving the key at the desk. In fact, it was nice not to worry about the key, knowing it was safe at the hotel.

I can recommend this hotel to anyone who's on a budget and isn't too picky.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2004

I will tell you the truth if you are a couple and wanting some romantic getaway in the Big Easy stay at the Historic French Market Inn. If you are a college student like me looking to party on Bourbon this place fine. It is a bit ghetto don’t get me wrong. The rooms are really small, but who really cares if you are in the Quarter all night. They don't care how many people you cram in the room. Me and five of me friends stayed in one room. It was crowded as ----- but we were only there to shower and change clothes. The staff is really cool! If you stay here I guarantee you will have a story that you will never forget. If you end up staying there ask for Julius in RM 210 tell him that 5 guys from Kansas says what up!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member