“Looked at the Room and Ran!!”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #147 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Looked at the Room and Ran!!”
Reviewed 22 June 2005

Can you spell N-A-S-T-Y? Thank God we were able to look at the room before we actually took our bags out of the car. What we thought was a bell hop was a king size roach. When we walked in I was thinking, okay, the closet is a nice size, but why is there a bed in here? Then we were told that this was the room. So we asked to see one of the larger rooms, again, we were told that we had just stepped into the room, or more like the Twilight Zone. What I thought was a small mirror, turned out to be a TV. The sheets looked like they were standing up greeting us when we walked into the door, and the smell was not the aroma that I was hoping to be enhaling while staying there. My lungs seemed to shut down on me. So my husband and I stepped out side to "think" about it and burned off like the road runner, I think we left skid marks outside. We decided not to chance our car being stolen, or our body contracting something and headed further East on I-10 and actually found a La Quinta for $44.00 a night.... The Empress wanted to charge us $57.00 a night. No thank you!

The lady that was helping us was a pleasant woman and I think she was only there because work is work.....

• Stayed June 2005
108 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New Orleans
Reviewed 11 May 2005

Booked a room here for my mom and myself through one of the well-known discount websites. No pictures of the hotel on this site, but I figured the hotel must be okay if it was advertised on this site. I couldn't have been more wrong. When we got there I just wanted to go home. I realized why that was the only hotel I could find that had availability. The parking is free - I guess they feel too bad about the location of the hotel, which is in the worst neighborhood in the city, to charge you for it. Our room was about as big as a closet. One small bed - said to be a double but I had doubts. There was no closet or hangers. Once we had our suitcases in the room there wasn't any room to move around, despite the fact that the small bed was pushed up against the wall. Our bedding was old and smelly and the bedspread had cigarette holes all over it. The bathroom was beyond filthy - I would have felt cleaner taking a bath at the sink at a public restroom. The door had a tiny, flimsy lock on it. The hallway smelled like sewerage - like a toilet had backed up - and the smell got worse every day. The tiny window in our room that had bars on it and didn't open overlooked what must have been a garden years ago. The TV had two channels, no cable, no remote. No radio in the room. I felt like I was in jail. Usually when I go to New Orleans I've had such a busy and tiring day that I can't wait to get back to my hotel room at night to rest, but this particular stay I just wanted to stay away. Do yourself a favor and sleep in your car if you have to.

• Stayed March 2003
89 Thank frenchqtrchef

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Reviewed 2 May 2005

No clock, no phone, no closet, no clothes rod, no glasses, no cable, no carpet, broken shower rod, grimy floors, thin rough towels which the maid only remembered to replace half the time, old stained sheets that are not changed each morning, clogged shower, dirty old toilet, no fan, no openable windows, old musty airconditioner. Gross.

Nice staff.

Probably impossible to cancel reservations and get your money back as the rules regarding refunds seem to mysteriously change.

Only plus: rooms will make you feel so upset and sick that you'll spend all your time exploring the French Quarter and no time in your room.

75 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 April 2005

The hotel looked creepy and is located in a delapitated block. Our reservation was made directly by phone and a confirmation was faxed back. Upon arriving and paying the airport shuttle fare, there were no ROOMs available. The man at the desk was unprofessional and unhelpful inspite of the fact that he was in the wrong. Here we were 2 women visiting NO for the first time , left stranded. Luckily we pulled our resources and found another hotel for the same a bit further from the French quarter for the same rate. I would not recommend this scroungy looking place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2005
60 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 April 2005

I ended up staying here because it was cheap - let me warn you it is not worth it if you value your life and your health . we are not the hilton type but rest assured i have never stayed at a place like this - it is really gross. It is so filthy i can not tell you - hairs, bugs , and centipedes . do not sleep on the sheets , i am sure they are contaminated with something . bring a tweezers to strip the bed and your own towels and linens . the carpet looks like it is a hundred years old - the neighborhood is dangerous . the staff was fairly friendly but refused to let us leave without paying for the first nights stay . most people rent it by the week or month . this place is no hotel , it is a flophouse for the lowest members of society . you can find another place that is not that much more really, we did . our cab driver told us it is the grossest place in the city .
people who say this place is clean are out of their minds - stay away !!!!

• Stayed May 2004
80 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 March 2005

Room is small, dirty and it stinks. The bed is the worst. Springs came out from underneath. Definitely won't stay there next time.

• Stayed March 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Berkeley
Reviewed 8 March 2005

If u want to book the hotel by yourself by calling the hotel directly? Forget it! You will get nothing after a 1-week reservaiton process and even u already give the credit card authoration! The worst thing is you dont even know whether u have ur reservation confirmed because they will ask u to call back again and again and dont tell u anything for 5 days!!!

3 Thank Zoe W