“Good location by French Quarter, not great customer service”

Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter
Ranked #77 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We celebrated a very special surprise 50th birthday for my husband with a trip to the French Quarter in New Orleans Thanksgiving weekend. Family and close friends joined us and I selected this hotel for everyone. The hotel is in a great location...a few blocks from the noise and craziness of Bourbon Street but close enough so that we did not have to take taxis! No help with baggage as we arrived at the hotel. If I had not known that check in was on the second floor, we would have been confused. The room was as expected, typical of Courtyards, which was great. But the front desk staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. They did not greet us in a positive manner. They acted like we were interrupting them when we tried to check in. Later when we asked for advice on directions, they could not help us. When we checked out, their service was worse...and a manager was standing there. Now it was a busy weekend. However, I was really disappointed that I did not get the usual higher level of service that I am used to at Marriott properties. I travel at least once or twice a month and have been choosing to stay at the Marriott properties due to their service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
CY-Downtown New... F, Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

On behalf of my team of associates, I would like to thank you for staying at one of our Marriott properties in New Orleans. Unfortunately, our front desk is located on the first floor immediately to the right as you enter not on the second floor as mention. Perhaps, you stayed at a different location but we would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your Marriott experience. If you are ever in the area again, please make Marriott your primary lodging preference.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here recently attending a Nat Geo photo course and had hoped for the typical Marriot quality hotel. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. Rooms were small (understandable) but the noise from adjoining rooms was incredible. IN room 218 and when the neighboring room used the shower/tub - it was so loud we thought they were in our room. And they took very long showers/baths in the middle of the night 2 am. The hotel was clean and staff was friendly and the price was good - just would not stay here again - especially since our photo assignments were at sunrise necessitating awakening at 530 am.

Room Tip: Don't use room 218 !!!
1  Thank Rich D
CY-Downtown New... F, Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

On behalf of my team of associates, I would like to thank you for staying with us. We realize there are many hotels to choose from in New Orleans, and appreciate that you selected to stay with us. At the Courtyard Downtown, guest satisfaction is our primary goal. We understand that you experience noise during your stay and truly apologize for the inconvenience. Our walls have been built accordingly to standards. All of our associates work hard to provide each of our guests with the utmost personal attention and care. We really appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to ensure we provide top notch service and maintain Marriott high quality standards.

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

This visit was for business, but I went with my husband just for relaxation! The parking is quite pricey (valet only), the room was perfect! It didn't face St. Charles street (no street noise) and it was nice and dark! The room was in good shape and the lobby was nice and clean. Overall a good hotel that is close to everything!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
CY-Downtown New... F, Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

On behalf of my team of associates, I would like to thank you for staying with us. We realize there are many hotels to choose from in New Orleans, and appreciate that you selected to stay with us. At the Courtyard Downtown, guest satisfaction is our primary goal. All of our associates work hard to provide each of our guests with the utmost personal attention and care. We really appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to ensure we provide top notch service and maintain Marriott high quality standards.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

One block off Canal this hotel is very close to the Quarter and all it has to offer which is a good thing as you probably wont be spending much time in your room! Average is a good description of the room, bed bathroom and TV, kind of what I would expect of Motel 6. Clean lobby but our room had an old toothbrush sticking behind the mirror so it made me wonder about the beds? Very nice front desk staff but the valet parking was lacking as there was very little space to pull off the street and the lot was blocks away so the wait for your car was very long and at $34.00 a day not cheap. There is a Starbucks in the lobby so don't expect any free coffee in the morning on your way out. Also a funny thing, our phones in the room had no info plate to let you know what button to push for Valet, front desk, service, etc. If you need a room and every other Marriott property is booked than this will do.

Room Tip: No suites of any kind and the rooms are all small and don't expect a view, we were on the 6th fl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

On behalf of my team of associates, I would like to thank you for staying with us. We realize there are many hotels to choose from in New Orleans, and appreciate that you selected to stay with us. At the Courtyard Downtown, guest satisfaction is our primary goal. All of our associates work hard to provide each of our guests with the utmost personal attention and care. We have noted your concerns and have address them accordingly. We really appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to ensure we provide top notch service and maintain Marriott high quality standards.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Hotel is 1 block down and 1 block over from bourbon street - good walking access. A self park option is also availble for about half the vallet cost. It is like two blocks over but they are small blocks.

The saint charles street car passes right in front of the hotel, which is convenient but a little noisey. Might want to try for an upper floor room or maybe one that is in the building core. Desk/door staff were helpful.

Room had most all common ammenities and was well maintained. Bedding was in good shape offered a comfortable sleep(including pillows that were of slightly different firmness). But dont expect much as far as options on tv. Mostly just sports channels. Arrived on the weekend prior to halloween. Got to see the crew of boo halloween parade on canal. Just walked out the door and the parade was 50' away. As far as food options, many choices are near, but try the acme or felix oyster house for the freshest oysters. Acme usually has a waiting line at least 15deep.

Room Tip: Upper floor or possibly one not with the window on to st charles ave - streetcar noise,
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CY-Downtown New... F, General Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is in a great location, just off canal street and right on the St. Charles streetcar line. The property is very clean and I found the security to be more than adequate. The lobby is open and relaxing and the rooms are very clean. The bathrooms were also very clean and the shower has to be one of the nicest I have ever used! The once flaw for me was no breakfast. This is the first courtyard I have stayed at with no breakfast and the breakfat counter they do have is way overpriced. I would probably stay again, but I would bvring my own breakfast!

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor. Never waited for an elevator and it was very quiet. The view, ho...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
CY-Downtown New... F, Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Reviewed 7 November 2013

$350 plus taxes meant that room 606 topped out at $400 a night for a room finished Super 8 style with no outside window! No complaints about the shower or bed comfort but the toilet space was as cramped. When I arrived there was no one at the lobby desk. In fact, it was hard to discern the lobby desk. I had to track down staff. I like Marriott, and 4 times out of 5 trips I use them, but this ranks as the worst experience I've had. A lot of that had to do with the internal room and the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo