“Underwhelmed”

Ranked #10 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
San Francisco, California
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

At $200+ per night with taxes and ect, I was expecting to sleep like a baby and have wonderful, relaxing stay. My first impression was that this is a very nice hotel, located in the heart of the French Quarter (on Conti near Royal, one block from Bourbon St). It is in an older building that was remodeled to look more hip, modern (with excessive use of colored lighting and velvet chairs). We stayed on the 3rd floor, when we opened the room door we both noted the strong smell of mildew in the room. No heat was on in any of the hallways, so in December this can get cold. There was a heated pool in the courtyard but it is awkwardly located near the Vive bar, which did not make me want to go in. No room service offered, no in-room beverages, no mini fridge, no spa, no snacks and no restaurant. I also noticed our bathroom was fairly dirty, the cleaning staff never cleaned the shower walls or the frosted glass between the shower and toilet which looked filthy. The valet parking for $34 per day was horrible and half the time the valet reserved space was being occupied by someone else, mostly deliveries or people temporarily stopping to pick someone up. I did not sleep well the whole time we stayed here, there was a weird, loud grinding noise most of the night and I kept having horrible, violent nightmares. I don't often have such bad nightmares and it made me question the idea of a haunting or ghost as I have heard the French Quarter has a history of.

I accidentally left a toiletry bag in the room, asked about it a hour later after we checked out and was told "we did not find anything in your room" but I am positive I left a small bag full of makeup in the room. Annoyed by this, nobody asked for my contact info incase they did find the bag, just the smug response.

I will be in NOLA in the near future but I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant or room service offered here.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon B
Daffne R, General Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Hotel le marais. I am very sorry to hear that we weren't able to meet your expectations and that you experienced some problems with your room and bathroom. I would definitely share these comments with my housekeeping staff to to correct this issue. Also, I am sorry to hear that we weren't able to find your item but we will keep looking for it and keep in contact with you in case is found. I would love to speak with you in further detail about your stay, if you can please contact me (504) 200-3154 or daffne.ruglas@interstatehotels.com. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Happy Holidays!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed at Hotel Le Marais the week of Thanksgiving with my wife and our two kids (both under 10). The hotel was just what we had hoped for: in the Quarter, close to everything, yet, surprisingly quiet (note we asked for a quiet room) for being so close to Bourbon Street. The room was very comfortable.

We spent a lot of time researching hotels on TripAdvisor. This turned out to be a great choice. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Denham Springs, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The hotel has a very nice staff and was helpful when presented with a concern. It is a great location centered near Bourbon St for convenience. The beds were very comfortable and I slept so good after a night around town. We went downstairs to a great breakfast!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Sorry, I wanted to like this hotel so badly. Being a native of New Orleans, I did not do a very good job checking out the location. When we checked in we were put in a very small corner room with a view of a wall even though I paid for a Superior room that was supposed to have a view of the city or courtyard. Once I told the Pierre at the front desk, he did move me to a larger room. Thoughts on the location and other observations below:

Pros:
Location if you want to party all night on Bourbon. The hotel is on Conti just a block off Bourbon.
The rooms were newer, modern and clean.
The courtyard and pool
Free breakfast
Free wifi

Cons:
Location if you are not a fan of the all-night noise and partying from Bourbon.
The rooms are on the small side.
Parking; if you have a car, the hotel only has one "reserved" spot on Conti for guests which was always taken up by a tourist or a family member waiting for someone to come off a shift from one of the neighboring hotels, and at $34 a day, I expected more.
Temperature; yes, it was November, and it was unusually cold, but there was no heating in the hallways! The hallways were ice cold.

All in all, not a horrible stay, but I had higher expectations.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Denno29191
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2013

A group of us stayed for a Thursday night (3 rooms total). Affordable for 1 night stay during the week...although, I noticed the price went up significantly on Friday night. Clean. Staff was friendly. Quiet. Great location. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This little gem is well located between two of the busiest streets in the Quarter, Royal and Bourbon, but is still very quiet and peaceful. Along with its sister hotel, the Mazarin, the Le Marais makes its guests feel at home. The rooms are very comfortable and nice, the staff is great and the breakfast is more than I expected. The welcome drinks are appreciated and the bar is cozy and friendly. We'll return gladly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Staff was very helpful and eager to please. I met the manager Daffne checking inn she was a complete sweet heart! Breakfast was great! I love the modern styles of the hotel. The rooms were perfect, beds are very comfortable. I will definitely be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013