“Beautiful hotel, service needs improvement”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #61 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just spent 5 days/4 nites at the W French Quarter. Hotel is ideally situated in the FQ, close to everything and a gorgeous property. Remodel is great and very trendy. . . Overall, the stay had highs and lows. Front desk staff was spotty, the use of the MDX was good and now they are taking reservations like every other W hotel. So Bou is awesome and the bartenders and servers were wonderful. . . So, it is not like I hated my stay there. . .it just wasn't up to par of a W hotel experience.

Main issue that I have has to do with the support staff - Our room was never really made up properly. The bathroom was not properly cleaned for the entire 5 days I stayed, normally they will move your items and wipe down the counter, add kleenex if you need it, leave towels, give you more soap and shampoo. . you know. . .normal stuff. This was not the case, even to point that the last day we had no tissues, 1 towel and no soap or shampoo after the room was serviced. When I asked the front desk for more, they didn't send anything up. . . .

ALSO, they were having problems with the hot water, so I had luke warm - at best - showers the entire trip. Now, I understand there can be issues in infrastructure but you let your guests know about it. . .leave a note on the bed apologizing and let them know when it will be fixed. What I got was, "We know and hope to get it fixed."

Overall, the hotel is a great place to stay and I would consider staying there again. . . Just need to work on the service.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the courtyard. . .but be ware I stayed in room 429 and it was big enough to fit...
2  Thank GFTraveler1
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Hello GFTraveler1 -

Thank you for the helpful feedback you provided about your recent stay with us. I appreciate the compliments about our new redesign and am pleased that you took advantage of our exclusive Acura service. I'm sorry about the challenges you had with the service to your room and am passing this along to our Style department. Your input helps us to make important improvements to our service.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans to show you a true W experience. If there's anything that we can do for you in the meantime, please contact us at wfqcservice@whotels.com.

Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

If you want to settle in to the French Quarter in style, check out the redecorated W. Don't let the quaint exterior fool you; the new interiors are a trendy retreat from the muggy NOLA street scene. Sorry that the Brennan's changed the menu and not just their decor with replacing Italian standard Bacco with a lower end and inferior tasting SoBo. Travelers need more than two entrees from which to choose. Seems they are trying a bit too hard.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hello RUFFEE -

Thank you for your nice compliments about our new decor and for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter. We know you have a choice of a lot of hotels and appreciate your business. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy SoBou as much, but hope that you'll give it another chance on your next visit. I'm sure that our chef can put together something nice for you. Thank you again for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

The staff is great, especially Staci!!!!! Very friendly and knowledgable! You won't have a bad time here. The Hotel is very clean and well decorated. Beautiful courtyard! You won't be disappointed! It's was our anniversary and they gave champagne and rose pedles before we got to room with a hand written card. Their recomaditions on restaurants to go to were amazing!! Couldn't say one bad thing.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hello Chrisbier -

Wow! Thank you for such an incredible review of W New Orleans - French Quarter! I'm so pleased that we were able to surprise you with champagne and rose petals on your anniversary and to hear that Staci made wonderful recommendations. Thank you for letting us be a part of such a special occasion in your lives. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next anniversary!

Reviewed 18 September 2012

During a work trip, decided to take a break from other FQ hotels and stay at the W. I was highly disappointed to see that there is no MSNBC channel offered, and management would do well to see that their is fair and balanced offerings with the upcoming political season in November. There were Fox channels, but do not care for their biased and often ludicrous news offerings. Other than that, the rooms are a bit small, and staff was excellent and positive. So Management if you ever read these review, please consider adding MSNBC to you lineup. Fitness center was closed at the time, and offered alternative use of Sheraton facilities.

1  Thank Aleshia B

Hello Aleshia B -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for sharing some feedback about your recent experience with us. I apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to watch MSNBC while you were here. We try to offer a variety of channels through our service provider and will look into the offerings to make sure we have a balance of coverage.

I'll pass along your compliments to our staff. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

The Pros: The location is extremely convenient - walking distance to everything in the French Quarter. The front desk staff and other staff were very helpful and accommodating. The courtyard was a great place to relax with friends at the start or the end of an evening. The bed was comfy and I liked the game-themed design of the location. And given the hot location, thank god for the pool

The Cons: The bathrooms are tiny. Not very functional to use. But they have great Bliss products although they were not regularly refreshed by housekeeping.

A $15 / day / device internet fee is egregious, especially considering the wifi generally did not work in the courtyard and that it was slower than dial-up speed. (I know because I speedtested it every day - 0.29 mb/s download and 0.47 mb/s upload speed in the rooms - a carrier pigeon could transport data faster than that.). I had to go seek out a cafe to get some work done while there because the internet kept failing and after being charged that much for internet service, that is pretty ridiculous.

It seemed like they were still working out the kinks of room service since the new restaurant had just opened up. The staff was extremely apologetic for the delays in the food service, so that helped.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Hello Complexsugar -

Thanks for your feedback about your recent stay at W New Orleans - French Quarter. We appreciate your comments about the Internet service as it helps us to recognize areas where we can improve. It is something that we're looking into and trying to fix. I'm glad that our staff was so helpful and accommodating during your stay and that you enjoyed our new redesign. We took inspiration from cultural elements significant to the city. I hope that you'll consider staying with us again in the future. If there's anything that I can do for you in the meantime, please contact me at wfqcservice@whotels.com.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

The W New Orleans is a respite in the heart of NOLA. My husband and I are especially grateful to Janice and Tina, who made our stay memorable. The rooms are a bit small so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for business travel but it's a very romantic hotel with a beautiful courtyard. I liked the rain shower and the mattress was very firm and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jordana P
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Hello Jordana P -

Thank you for posting a review of W New Orleans - French Quarter and for the nice compliments to our staff and property. I hope that you and your husband had a nice vacation and will join us again on your next visit.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I just wanted to take a moment and send a special thank you to Tony Dominguez. Tony has a nice warming smile that makes you feel very welcome. He is well organized and extremely professional, one would expect nothing less when you first walk into a hotel. Tony demonstrates a hard working attitude and attentiveness. Tony thank you for your help and assistance.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Hello solivia -

I can't wait to tell Tony about the glowing review that you wrote. He's an exceptional employee who goes above and beyond to provide the Whatever/Whenever service of W hotels. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans.