“First and LAST time in that hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of W New Orleans - French Quarter

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #75 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Modena
“First and LAST time in that hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I totally agreed with Vicki review: that hotel does not give you the service for the cost you pay.
Coming from Italy for an exhibition, for some mistake my reservation in a different hotel (almost in front!) was not valid.
Then I was VERY LUCKY to find a room in that hotel. But that was ALL.
To resume:
- Bathroom: small, rusty on the piping, leaking from the taps, poor in accessories
- Noise from other rooms
- Coming back from the exhibition the room some time was not yet ready: we had to call the reception

I have been other times in some hotel in same area and I had similar service for less than half the price

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Hello maseratimo -

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback about your recent stay with us. I apologize for the service you received while you were with us as I assure you we aim to exceed our guests expectations. I'd like to find out more about the room you were staying in so we can look into the situation as we take our guests' comments seriously. Please feel free to email me me at wfqcservice@whotels.com. I do sincerely apologize again for any inconveniences that you faced and hope that you'll reconsider staying with us again so we can turn your feelings around.

James Wroblewski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Graz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

W Hotel New Orleans is a centrally located hotel in New Orleans. It is walking distance to the French Quarter. The rooms are very clean, beds are very comfortable. Garden district is a short ride by tramway.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Hello Pintos_10,

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review of W New Orleans - French Quarter. I appreciate the great feedback and your business. I hope we can welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans. We're here 24/7. Anything you need, just ask.

Lewis Center, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

I'm not sure where I should start this review. I travel frequently and can usually find more good than bad in the hotels that I stay in but this W Hotel I'm finding that impossible. For the price we paid I thought this would be an exceptionally good hotel, I was wrong. I'll start with the room. When I looked at pictures of the rooms in this hotel I never saw one pictured as small as ours was. We had 2-3 feet around the bed to move not much room at all. The bathroom would only accomodate one person at a time to get ready. The remodel is nice and modern but poorly done. The carpet to the bathroom tile did not have a plate (?) to hold down the carpet and the carpet is already pulling up and frayed. The head board with the dimming switches were not flushed and secured to the head board leaving a giant gap. The walls were paper thin (no fault of the W name but maybe should lower their prices do to lack of privacy), Example the first morning we heard our neighbors conversation while she was blow drying her hair for over an hour at 4 am in the morning. 2 hours later we heard the other neighbors TV. Later in the day we heard the couples entire conversation. Which brought our attention to only whisper to one another during intimate conversation, The first day we both showered with the bathroom door open with no issues our departure day I showered at 5:45 am with the door open and the steam from the shower set off the smoke detector, it took engineering 10 minutes to get to the room and another 5 to get the smoke detector reset. Wireless when paying over 350 a night I feel should be free however it is $15 a day that said I paid for it anyway. I have read in reviews that the wireless was spotty and unrealiable, I found that to be untrue I never once had an issue with disruptive service in fact the last night I was on it for 6 hours straight and had no issues it worked fine. I'm not sure how to catagorize this next complaint on our first night I was up late reading and noticed something move on the floor next to the bed closer inspection I realized it was a cockroach I tired to kill it as my flip flop was right by my bed it moved fast and went under the door. No more then a half an hour later I see movement near the bathroom another roach this time he slipped behind the headboard, needless to say we slept with the lights on the rest of our stay. The next morning when we went out I told the front desk that I had 2 roaches in the room last night although he was very apologetic he told me they come out in the rain (on the 4th floor hmm) he said he would have engineering check it out, not sure if that was ever done as we did not recieve a note in our room saying they checked it out. So on to housekeeping it's a mixed bag on this one. Our room was cleaned by 2 pm everyday we were given plenty of shampoo, conditioner, bar soap. face wash and body wash. However we were only given clean towels every other day. Room Service we never used it but apparently it is a favorit option at this hotel as we saw a lot of trays outside the rooms on our floor several times. That said it would have been nice to see these trays picked up and removed less than 24 hours later ( maybe a reason for the cockroaches). Pool we didn't get to use it as the day we set aside to hang out by the pool a group of people we there using up all the chairs available from 8 in the morning until 5 at night. Not much fun if you don't have a place to sit or lay when not in the pool the group hogging the chairs is not a reflection on the hotel but maybe they should have more chairs avaible other then the 8 or so that they have. Restaurant/Bar we did not use as I have found that in the FQ you can usually find a spot to eat or drink right next door for cheaper then the hotel would charge and this was the case once again. Now for the positive, I always like to end on the good. Very modern and updated, beautiful pool and courtyard with a fire fountain at night. Staff was amazing always greeted their guests from the front dest to restaurant staff and the valet and bellhops, engineering and housekeeping. When we had to call down for towels every other day they would bring them up within 10 minutes of our call. But even with their good service it is not enough for me to return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Vicki D
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Hello Vicki D -

Thank you so much for sharing detailed feedback about your recent stay with us. I do appreciate the compliments that you payed to our staff and our new modern decor, but I'm sorry for the overall challenges you had with the hotel during your stay. It is our goal to make sure every guest has an exceptional stay, so it was disappointing to hear that we did not meet those expectations with you. If you can send me an email at wfqcservice@whotels.com, I'd like to find out more about the specific room where you were staying so we can make any necessary repairs/modifications.

Your feedback is very important to us as it helps us to improve our hotel and the level of service that we provide for our guests, so thank you again for taking the time to share it. If there's anything that we can do to make this right, please let me know.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at many W Hotel properties and usually stay at the W New Orleans. Because of it's location I decided to try the French Quarter location this time. The remodel was money well spent and I can't say enough how nice it is not to have to drive around New Orleans. We stayed in an Awesome Room with a balcony. I highly recommend this room and this hotel. The W insider Staci was a tremendous help. And as a SPG member the helpful and attentive staff is a main reason I stay at Starwood hotels.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank hhsteelman
Hello hhsteelman -

First, let me say thank you for being a loyal Starwood guest. We appreciate your continued business to our properties. I appreciate your positive feedback about our property and am pleased that everything with your stay went so well. I'll pass along your compliments to Staci. She continues to provide customized experiences for our guests and makes great recommendations as our W Insider.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Hotel location is perfect, just far enough from crazyiness of Bourbon. We came down with 6 guys for a stag. All were first timers to NOLA. Took a stretch limo from airport $98 one way, so much better than a cab. Hotel lobby staff is great, can't say enough about Aerial and Shawn. We had 3 rooms on the third floor, all were nicely renovated with art deco lighting. The gym is fully loaded with treadmills, crosstraining and freeweights. Note: Each room was different in size. The beds were the highlight of the room, slept like a baby. Improvement List: 1) Bad wifi service, timed out every 5 miniutes. 2) No hot tub by the pool. 3) Room service a bit spotty. Overall great experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris S
Hello Chris -

Thank you for recommending W French Quarter on TripAdvisor and for staying at our property on your first trip to the Big Easy! I hope that you had a great time in the city while you were here. I'll definitely pass along your compliments to the talent and will also work with my team to improve any lapse in service. I apologize for any inconveniences and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

Metro Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

So, we finally arrive at the W hotel after a long drive from Memphis. It's 4:30 PM, well after check-in time which is at 3 PM, and our room isn't ready. We get free drinks on the house and wait patiently at the bar.
After one hour I receive a phone call saying that we can check in now. We pick up our keys, and since there's no bell boy to help, we push a luggage trolly with the luggage ourselves.

We get into our room, and it's a beautiful bright room, with two queen beds. But I found a big surprise in the bathroom, which has dirty towels on the floor and obviously hasn't been cleaned. We notice a cover being pushed off the bed, and "a dent" in the sheets as if somebody's been standing or sitting on top of it. We also notice a smell of electrical fire, so we quickly call in, hoping to get these things fixed (sheets changed, bathroom properly cleaned).

They appoligize for the inconvenience and say that the room is being serviced and that they checked us in there by mistake. They send us to another room. Nobody there to help with the luggage again. We drag it ourselves.

The room no.2 is a cave. It has a tiny window at the back of the hallway which opens into a wall. We call in and ask them to honor our reservation & room category reserved.

They said they have another room, but it may be a while before it's ready. She suggests we go and bring our luggage downstairs. I am really offended by this suggestion and after letting them know that, they say they don't mind having the bell boy do that for us. It's 6 pm.

We return at 8:30 pm and out keys are ready. Room no.3 has a bigger window looking over the courtyard and it's a same size as a cave previously offered. I don't mind the size anymore. I'm just tired and want to take a shower and crash. But wait a minute, there are no towels. We call in for towels. They bring them 20 minutes later.

Then we find that the ice bucket hasn't been changed/emptied/cleaned. Once I move the cover, I find that the bed hasn't been maded properly. Looks like a three yr old has done it.

It seemed like there was no end to this long list of things that are simply wrong, especially if you have a reputation to keep.

Then I remember that we got offered $5 credit for every day we refuse housekeeping services. I guess they are permanently understaffed here. I wish we hadn't pre-paid our 3 night stay. We would've been out of there after that 1st night gone wrong.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SuzerSchmoozer
Hello SuzA430 -

I appreciate the feedback you provided about your recent stay at our property. I'm sorry that the service and the rooms you received were not up to the W standard that we usually provide. I assure you that we don't take criticism lightly. I will address your issues with the appropriate departments. If you'd like to provide any additional feedback, please feel free to contact me at wfqcservice@whotels.com. If there's anything that we can do to turn your opinion around, please let me know as we'd love to welcome you back in the future to show you the experience that you should have had the first time.

Thank you again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just spent 5 days/4 nites at the W French Quarter. Hotel is ideally situated in the FQ, close to everything and a gorgeous property. Remodel is great and very trendy. . . Overall, the stay had highs and lows. Front desk staff was spotty, the use of the MDX was good and now they are taking reservations like every other W hotel. So Bou is awesome and the bartenders and servers were wonderful. . . So, it is not like I hated my stay there. . .it just wasn't up to par of a W hotel experience.

Main issue that I have has to do with the support staff - Our room was never really made up properly. The bathroom was not properly cleaned for the entire 5 days I stayed, normally they will move your items and wipe down the counter, add kleenex if you need it, leave towels, give you more soap and shampoo. . you know. . .normal stuff. This was not the case, even to point that the last day we had no tissues, 1 towel and no soap or shampoo after the room was serviced. When I asked the front desk for more, they didn't send anything up. . . .

ALSO, they were having problems with the hot water, so I had luke warm - at best - showers the entire trip. Now, I understand there can be issues in infrastructure but you let your guests know about it. . .leave a note on the bed apologizing and let them know when it will be fixed. What I got was, "We know and hope to get it fixed."

Overall, the hotel is a great place to stay and I would consider staying there again. . . Just need to work on the service.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the courtyard. . .but be ware I stayed in room 429 and it was big enough to fit...