“Great renovation and all of the staff is super friendly”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #61 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 18 January 2013

To start off, Staci is the best Insider that the W chain has. She and Quentin really went above and beyond for me on this work trip. Great Platinum recognition. New restaurant, SoBou is good and a lot of fun. Everything about the property seems new and revitalized, except for the Internet service in the carriage house rooms.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Hello Jim H -

What a nice compliment to Staci and Quentin! Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at W French Quarter. Your comments are helpful and I am so pleased to hear that everyone went above and beyond to make sure your stay was memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

There are newer reviews for W New Orleans - French Quarter

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I love this hotel with it's characteristic NOLA charm, beautiful courtyard and intimate pool and other spaces.
This was my 3rd stay here over the span of about 9 years. I always wanted to come back to NOLA and I knew this was where I wanted to be.
The service is outstanding. The team is personable and treats you in a way that is hard to come by these days. Catering to your every wish, taking "Whatever, Whenever" to a higher level than other W's I have stayed in (many).
The only thing that kept me from giving a 5 star rating is the very expensive makeover. Suddenly the intimate interior spaces of the rooms have been replaced by something more akin to the Starship Enterprise. I stayed in exactly the same room (2nd floor balcony facing street-tip-only these have balconies and they are a treat).
The super modern, uber-trendy vibe just isn't quite right. Sure, it's a rather luxurious complaint, but I see the remodel as a HUGE waste of money (and lots of it. That is obvious) with the new bathrooms being the exception.
The place was 5 star in my book before. This transition is really hard to understand and the designer just seemed out of touch with where they were.
Others might feel differently.
But the staff is 5 star-as are the prices.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are the only ones with terraces overlooking St. Chartres
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Hello Timo57 -

Thank you for your loyalty to W French Quarter over the years and for sharing your thoughts with us. We really appreciate your feedback about the new renovation and the kind words you passed along about our talent taking Whatever/Whenever to the next level. This is something that we try to do every day, so it's great to hear about the positive lasting impression it has on our guests. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip - we'll have that balcony room ready for you!

Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed here earlier in January and absolutely loved it. The hotel is charmingly quirky, we had a kaleidoscope in our room, the furnishings were eclectic and cool but charmingly so, very fitting of its location. We had a room with a French Quarter view which added to the atmosphere of the place. The outdoor area and pool really come into their own at night, illuminated with fire and hanging lanterns strung from the trees. Not to mention the quality of the food in the restaurant was stunning, the surroundings again modern but quirky, tiny backlit shelves displaying hundreds of glass bottles. The bar is also a great place to hang out, Abigail makes a great cocktail and is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to watch. The location is great, within an easy walk of Jackson Square and the extra touches, robes and bliss toiletries really make it special. We will go back!

Room Tip: We were given a free upgrade as we were on our honeymoon, make sure to let them know if you're c...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Hello Vicky M -

It sounds like you had a really fantastic stay at W French Quarter recently. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and congratulate you on your recent marriage! We're thrilled that you chose to stay with us during such a special time in your life. Thank you for the nice compliments about our property as well as SoBou, our new restaurant. Abigail is a true mixologist and mixes up some of the best cocktails I've ever had. We appreciate the great feedback and hope that we can welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans - maybe for your first anniversary! Let us know if there's anything we can do for you now or in the future. Feel free to email us any time at wfqcservice@whotels.com.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

From the moment we arrived the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect as it is an easy walk to most places, but on a quiet street. My only complaint is that in the junior suite it is very uncomfortable to watch tv as it is too far from the bed and the sofa is very hard

Stayed: January 2013

Hello Manuel D -

Thank you for staying at W French Quarter and for taking the time to write a review of our property. We appreciate the feedback about your guest room as well as the nice compliments to our staff. I hope that we can welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I've taken 3 weeks to cool down because I didn't want my emotions to get in the way of an honest review of this hotel. The Valet workers were very professional and they have beer taps built into the tables at the restaurant in their lobby. Now that the positive is out of the way let me detail the negatives I experienced, keep in mind it's been 3 weeks so I may leave some out, trust me it was much much worse then I can hope to describe but I'll try.

We stayed here between Xmas and New Years for 2 nights. We arrived a day early and had a wonderful experience at a cheaper hotel a few blocks away called The Olivier. The management at the Olivier told us we didn't need to check out at noon since our reservation at the W wasn't until 3pm. I called the W around 1230pm asking what time I could come as I didn't want to show up early, there was a boat tour on the Mississippi leaving at 230 so I thought I'd ask. They said if I could give them an hour it would be no problem to get me in early! We gave them 90 minutes as we did not want to rush them and were in no rush ourselves considering the kind gesture of the management at Olivier. Big mistake. We showed up and were told that the room wasn't even close to ready and were advised to go wait in their bar (give them more $). I calmly but clearly in frustration informed the girl at the desk that we had called earlier and were told to arrive at this time (actually a half hour earlier). She had no record of this call and had the "that's your problem not mine" attitude. She offered me a free appetizer card for the bar, I asked how it worked if we both (my fiance and I) just hand the card in when the bill comes. Her answer was that it wasn't for both of us???? After more complaining she begrudgingly gave us 2 free appetizer cards. Somehow even though our appetizers cost less than the total amounts on the card we were still charged because one of us spent more and the other spent less... Over an hour later (almost 2 hours since the room was said to be ready). They allowed us into the room. At this time we went over the cost and I was told they had no record of the promotion I bought and the discounts I was offered on parking were not on their records and I would have to pay full price as it was my fault for not booking directly through their reservation desk. I told her I was a AAA member and always get discounts when we book reservations. I asked her how this could be and got the same "your problem not mine" attitude, this time with a nice side of "stop wasting my time" facial expressions. Luckily I got the nerve up to ask to speak with management (I haven't even made it to my room yet), and was treated very respectfully by her manager who apologized profusely. We were helped to our room by a very professional young gentleman who had watched our bags for the last 2 hours after parking the car and he gave us some great advice on hot spots in the city. I happily tipped $5 and eagerly began to check out the room. Unfortunately we wasted our time bringing food as the fridge was full of food they were selling including $6 bottles of water. Also no microwave. The balcony was lacking the character of the rest of the french quarter and was painted the worst color brown I have ever seen used by choice. The room itself as well as the hotel corridors seemed to be invested in heavily, but poorly. Maybe Ray Charles picked out the wallpaper in the corridor? Oh the mattress was really nice, but covered with a rubber blanket that we removed immediately. The walls of the bathroom are glass so forget about having your privacy during a romantic evening (I was asked to take a walk around the block on multiple occasions). At this point we decided to look online for the next tour time and found out that the $250 a night (plus parking) did not grant us internet access like it had at the $99 a night room at the Olivier. Internet is another $15 a day!! Yay!! Completely exhausted we lay our heads down in hopes of sleeping at least an hour or two so we can have energy for a long night on the town. Unfortunately we spent the next 5 hours listening to the dog barking across the hall. That's right a dog locked away in the room across the hall for 5+ hours in what I thought was a luxury hotel. By now it's dark so we just cut our losses and leave. It was nice to lock our lap top away in the free safe in the closet, choosing the combination was very easy. We got home late and seemed to fall asleep after the dog!

I awaken the next day to a flashing light on the phone. The phone was very complicated to use but after a good 20 minutes I manage to hear a message from management that my credit card isn't working. Panic sets in as my limit is 4 x the cost of the 2 nights in the room. How could this be? I call down and speak with a younger gentleman, I tell him what the message said and he puts me on hold, he returns and reiterates that my card isn't working. It seemed odd that a hotel had already let me stay a full day without a working credit card on file so I thanked him for their patience and called my bank asap. I spend almost an hour over 3 phone calls chewing out my bank manager, at the end of the 3rd conversation he is still clueless as to how they are unable to charge it and offers to contact the hotel for me. I told him I would simply beg them to try the charge again since we are coming up with zero reasons why this is happening. This time I ask to speak to management and get the same nice lady from the previous day, I ask her if she wouldn't mind running the card one more time and she admits that there is nothing wrong with the card and THEY HAVE ACTUALLY LOST THE #'S!!!! The person who left the message and the person i spoke to at the front desk and been making up that my card wasn't working to cover up their own mistake!! Well at this point I completely lose it and force her to listen to every miserable issue we have had with the W French Quarter since arriving. She not only promises to personally take care of the barking dog but also comps our parking for the 2 days in turn solving one other pending issue. I tell her if she just takes care of the dog all will be right in the world and we can start enjoying our vacation that is now almost over. NEVER HAPPENS. THE DOG CONTINUES TO BARK THE ENTIRE TIME WE STAYED THERE. By the time day 4 comes we had decided to stay 1 extra day as the weather was going to improve and we were so fed up we chose to book the extra night back at The Olivier and do our best to forget that the W even existed, luckily another nice younger man named Daniel helped with baggage on our way out after i thanked him and tipped him he made me promise to leave my thoughts about my stay online, even handing me a card with his name and this website on it.

Thanks Daniel we needed the closure!

ps funny antidote, I was working out down the hall in the gym on day 3 and a couple walked into the door way holding a chiwawa and pointed at the machine I was using and complained to each other that it was the machine making all the noise! I stayed on that machine longer then any time I have ever visited a gym in my life. Maybe it's karma, or just simple irony, either way this is the memory we will keep of the "W" and if you're considering bringing a dog to a hotel you need to check yourself into a hospital now.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Andrew E

Hello Andrew E -

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent experience with us. I do apologize for the inconveniences that you faced when your room wasn't ready as promised and with the credit card as well as for the challenges at check-in with your AAA reservation. I agree that all of these issues are unacceptable and I assure you we've addressed the situation internally. In regards to some of the amenities you mentioned in our guest rooms, we don't have empty refrigerators, but instead have minibars full of food and beverage options that our guests can enjoy during their stay if they choose to do so. Additionally, microwaves are not standard features in W hotels. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the dog barking across the hall. We are pet-friendly hotels so dogs and cats are allowed, but I know that some animals aren't as well-behaved and owners can leave them for longer periods of time unattended. This amenity isn't meant to be a nuisance to our other guests, so usually when guests report a barking issue, our security team will address it with the owners. I know they received a warning, but I'm sorry to hear that the problem was not resolved. Again, we appreciate the constructive feedback as it helps us to consistently improve our levels of service. If there's anything else that we can do for you, please don't hesitate to email us at wfqcservice@whotels.com.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

First of all - I booked this hotel 6 months in advance, they gave me the crummiest room, the handicap room, I had to bend down to take a shower, it was extremely uncomfortable. I never mentioned that I was disabled, don't understand why I would get that room when I booked well in advance. Service was so-so. The receptionist that worked there just moved there and had no clue about where to eat, etc., literally no information at all. The photos on the web are very misleading, they make the hotel look larger than it really is and it is not. The pool is like the size of a kid's pool, very tiny. Expect it to be a little loud with drunks walking around because you are very close to the heart of the city, can't complain about that though. I just expected more from the W, glad that I split my time between hotels during my stay, the rest of my stay was at the Roosevelt which was far better than the W, I will always stay at the Roosevelt anytime I go to New Orleans and won't even consider another hotel, that's how good the Roosevelt is.

Room Tip: From the website you think the restaurant is connected to the hotel, it is not. They have no restau...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank athfbirdwatcher
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Hello athfbirdwatcher -

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I apologize that the property and your room didn't meet your expectations and that you had a few issues with the service. It sounds like you missed our restaurant, SoBou. It's a brand new concept from the Commander's Palace family of restaurants. There's direct access to it from the Welcome Office as well as from the main entrance, so I do apologize if you had any trouble locating it or if no one was around to assist you. I hope that you'll consider stopping by on your next trip to the city as I assure you the food and cocktails are fantastic. I'm glad to hear that you were able to find accommodations to suit your needs and wish you all the best.

James Wroblewksi

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed for a weekend in December and were glad to have stayed in the French Quarter. The hotel is in a good location with a short walk to Bourbon Street, or 10-15 min walk to the Riverwalk, Canal St and French Market areas.

The room itself was small but clean (we booked just a standard room, can't remember the exact name they call it). Being a party town, expect other guests to come in during the night and slam their doors shut!

The hotel's restaurant is called Sobu - beautiful food and our server was very friendly.

Guys who worked on the driveway also very friendly and helpful with directions and booking taxis. One of the guys drove us to the local shopping centre (20 mins away) via the hotel's courtesy vehicle!

Walgreens is about 3-4 blocks away if you need anything. There is also a candy store across the road called Laura's - it's the oldest in N.O and has yummy pralines.

As a side note - we have travelled all parts of the world and N.O is the only city where we have been constantly approached by people (mostly drunk) asking for money on the main streets.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street the hotel is located on will be quieter, as N.O. is a party town!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello PM09 -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for taking the time to share feedback about your experience with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at our property and your meal at SoBou. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to New Orleans. Let us know if you need anything in the meantime. We're here 24/7.