“somewhat disappointing”

Ranked #60 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
texas
“somewhat disappointing”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Having stayed at the W on Canal st, I didn't think there would be much difference. At the time we stayed on Canal st, there was construction, so the restaurant was closed, but the stay was still lovely. But the construction didn't have much personal effect on our visit. On our next visit, since the W French Quarter is closer to the French Quarter, we got a room there. The hotel was fine, and there wasn't anything wrong with it. disappointing. Our view was a close-up of the room next door, and the room was quite a bit smaller. The pool area was nice- a bit more hip, and younger, but very small. It did seem a bit overpriced, but in the French Quarter, everything is. However, compared to the Canal st location, for the same price, it was Unless walking the extra few blocks is a major issue- I'd recommend the Canal St. location.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Hello jj1972texas -

Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay with us. I do apologize that you weren't as satisfied with your guest room, but I'm glad to hear that you overall had a pleasant experience. We appreciate your loyalty to the W hotels in New Orleans and would love to welcome you back to either property on your next visit so we can find a room that better suits you. Thank you for staying with us!

Warmest regards,
James Wroblewski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Fredericksburg, Texas, United States
Reviewed 23 January 2013

wonderful small plate menu - great service/suggestions from Sonja Jones, waitress - the cracklings and cheese dip was outstandingly sinful and good to last drop! - super place in the quarter for a quick lunch/dinner! great decor and interesting wine list - we'll be back!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Hello Buzz R -

Thank you for eating at SoBou and for posting a great review of your meal! I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed it and will be coming back on your next trip. We're looking forward to your return!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I stayed at the W French Quarter for a friends birthday weekend and was not dissapointed. First the location is in the heart of the french quarter, and within walking distance of bourbon street, jackson square, and the riverfront. A house car was also available, however I didn't need to use it. Upon arrival, the front desk girl was very helpful and provided me with several tour options when asked. The valets were also very helpful and retrieved my shoes from my vehicle when I forgot them. The room I had was awesome. I had a patio room overlooking the street, the weather was nice enough to have a drink outside. The room was clean and very trendy. One thing that was great in the room was a multi phone charger adapter. It had about 10 different options to charge your phone, which came in handy for me and my girlfriend. Pool area looked very appealing also with couches, tables and fire pits. The only thing I regret is not being able to try the restraunt. Hopefully I will on the next trip. The restroom / shower area was unique, the frosted glass door was interesting, but the oversized shower made up for it. My girlfriend also used the fitness center and she said it was great, and had everything necessary for a cardio and weight workout.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank al s
Hello al s -

Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed the property and the location. I'm glad to hear that several of our talent members made great impressions on you. You'll definitely have to try out SoBou on your next trip to New Orleans. The food is spectacular and the cocktails are even better! We can't wait to welcome you back! Thanks again for the nice compliments.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Joined some friends in New Orleans for a weekend get-away. Arrived at the hotel to be greeted by very friendly staff and found our way up to the rooms.
The rooms were stylish, comfortable and very clean. We had a nice sized balcony as well. The common areas looked really awesome as well but it was mid-January so we didn't use the pool.
We ordered in room-service one morning and found the food to be very good. It arrived at our place in about 20 minutes and the server was a joy to speak to.
I liked the little things as well; the shower gels were amazing, there was a kaleidoscope in our room, the super sized towels and lush bathrobes.
My only two complaints is that our room key often wasn't working for the elevator and that the glass doors for the bathrooms offer very little privacy.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christina_Moorshead
Hello Christina_Moorsh,

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that everything went well and that you really enjoyed our property and in-room dining by our new restaurant, SoBou. I hope that we can welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

New York
Reviewed 20 January 2013

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at the W, the front desk staff, drivers and bellman were really friendly and offered wonderful tips about the city. Below is an assessment of our stay:

Rooms
- the rooms are tastefully done (W style) and the showers are pretty incredible. Only downside of the room is that you can hear the humming of heaters or AC units.

Restaurant
- I would skip this. We went for breakfast and were really disappointed. The food took forever to arrive, when we asked, the waitress informed us that she was the only one waiting tables and they had gotten slammed. (there were literally 4 tables eating in the restaurant). In fairness, the manager was great and took care of our bill - it was a nice gesture, it was just a frustrating start to the day.

Service/Front Desk/Drivers/Bellman
- EXCELLENT - they are very nice, super hospitable and always trying to go the extra mile to make your stay better.

Location
- Location is amazing, you are in the heart of everything!

Pool
- Very, very small - hard to call it a pool (more like a plunge pool?)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Helly NYC1240 -

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out well and that our talent really went above and beyond to make your experience memorable. Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you now or in the future by emailing us at wfqcservice@whotels.com. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to the Big Easy!

Irondale, Alabama
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

To start off, Staci is the best Insider that the W chain has. She and Quentin really went above and beyond for me on this work trip. Great Platinum recognition. New restaurant, SoBou is good and a lot of fun. Everything about the property seems new and revitalized, except for the Internet service in the carriage house rooms.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Hello Jim H -

What a nice compliment to Staci and Quentin! Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at W French Quarter. Your comments are helpful and I am so pleased to hear that everyone went above and beyond to make sure your stay was memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I love this hotel with it's characteristic NOLA charm, beautiful courtyard and intimate pool and other spaces.
This was my 3rd stay here over the span of about 9 years. I always wanted to come back to NOLA and I knew this was where I wanted to be.
The service is outstanding. The team is personable and treats you in a way that is hard to come by these days. Catering to your every wish, taking "Whatever, Whenever" to a higher level than other W's I have stayed in (many).
The only thing that kept me from giving a 5 star rating is the very expensive makeover. Suddenly the intimate interior spaces of the rooms have been replaced by something more akin to the Starship Enterprise. I stayed in exactly the same room (2nd floor balcony facing street-tip-only these have balconies and they are a treat).
The super modern, uber-trendy vibe just isn't quite right. Sure, it's a rather luxurious complaint, but I see the remodel as a HUGE waste of money (and lots of it. That is obvious) with the new bathrooms being the exception.
The place was 5 star in my book before. This transition is really hard to understand and the designer just seemed out of touch with where they were.
Others might feel differently.
But the staff is 5 star-as are the prices.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are the only ones with terraces overlooking St. Chartres