“Worth the Price for Location, Service, Modern Conveniences”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #78 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Hermosa Beach, California
“Worth the Price for Location, Service, Modern Conveniences”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Although pricey, the W will be my hotel of choice for future trips to New Orleans. It is perfectly located with easy access to all French Quarter sites but still far enough from Bourbon Street to be relatively quiet on a rowdy night. The hotel food is also top notch. I highly recommend the Chocolate Coma Bar: white mousse, candied pecans, sea salt caramel, chocolate and chicory coffee! While the hotel lacks the authentic charm of the French Quarter, I appreciated the break from the aura of the old city, which can be creepy and overwhelming—while still fascinating. Still, the W offers a pleasant, modern alternative to the more traditional hotels and B&Bs in the French Quarter. Plus, the hotel still has charm with its tarot-themed rooms and I still felt very much in New Orleans during my stay because of the tarot design, the shuttered windows, and the view of the quiet side-street. The rooms are on the small side but comfortable. Tips: walk to Café du Monde (5 minutes’ walk from hotel) for morning beignets and chicory coffee. On the way back along Chartres Street (same side of the street as the W), there is a wine shop which is actually a small market with water, snacks, etc. Stay hydrated by buying the much cheaper large water bottles in that shop and maybe some snacks for the room. You will pay so much more for water at most other locations in the French Quarter. Also near the hotel is the Pharmacy Museum. You will pass it on the way to Jackson Square. It's a fascinating museum. Since it's so close to the hotel, take a peek inside!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Hello Loretta R,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent stay in New Orleans! Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for our property! The Chocolate Coma Bar is definitely a favorite! We really appreciate your comments and tips about the hotel and the Quarter! I hope you enjoyed your time in the Big Easy and that you will be back to stay with us soon.
James Wroblewski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the last 6 months.. you can't ask for a better location, and the decor is the perfect mix of old world charm and modern chic that's leagues above the typical minimalistic, cool but non-descript W decor. We were upgraded to a "Spectacular" room on the top floor, which had a bit more space than the lower floor rooms. The staff is very friendly and helpful, though Housekeeping can be a little un-organized (we had a late check out, which the front desk was aware of, but housekeeping knocked on our door on 4 separate occasions within 2 hours asking when we were checking out?!). The rooms were not as nice as the rest of the hotel (weird mustard colored walls and very small bathroom w little counter space) but overall, this is the nicest hotel option in New Orleans if you want to stay within the French Quarter section. Even if you do not stay here, I highly recommend their restaurant, Sobou.... food and drinks are amazing... as is the decor and hip vibe!

Room Tip: The rooms are all pretty much the same as far as layout (aside from Suites). There's very littl...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Hello Eclin,
I'm so happy to hear you had a great recent stay at W French Quarter! I really appreciate you taking the time to post a review for us. I'm glad you were able to enjoy SoBou while you were here! It's fantastic. We can't wait to have you back and look forward to your return.
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I am a Starwood Platinum member with over 90 stays this year and I booked a room using points at the last minute to see Panthers at the Saints. I was upgraded to an awesome studio suite with a private courtyard and hot tub. Room was very cool. Only complaint I would have had was internet was useless. I was able to connect briefly but it kept disconnecting so I gave up. I had stayed at this property twice before and had standard rooms. This isn't my favorite Starwood location in New Orleans but the suite I was upgraded to really changed my perception of this hotel. I still prefer the Westin or the Four Points on Bourbon for the money but the location at the W is great. As I was flying back on the plane I was bored and surfing the internet and came across the reviews here. I saw where many people had complained about their bill being incorrect so I actually opened the email I was sent with my final bill. I had not opened it earlier because I knew I used points and did not charge anything to the room. And oddly enough I was billed for my room reservation along with a $5 charge for a coke. I called today and had the charges removed, the only explanation was that I should not have been charged anything and was forwarded to accounting. Also, I find it very bizarre that so many people posted about having to split a taxi to the airport. I have been in New Orleans over 20 times the past two years and this has never happened to me before but of course it happened to me this time. I am starting to wonder if a taxi driver and valet have a little hustle going where they can make a few extra bucks by getting 3 or 4 people to pay for one trip to the airport. (standard taxi rate in New Orleans for French Quarter to airport is $33) I did not feel like I was scammed while taking the taxi but now after reading all of these posts I think it can't be a coincidence. I hardly ever post a review and I absolutely love Starwood but I would certainly double check your bill after staying here. If these "accounting" errors keep happening then someone may need to notify BBB. As long as you don't get overbilled or told you need to split a taxi because "there is a wreck on the interstate and no taxis can make it in from the airport" then this is a great location to get a real taste of how awesome New Orleans is, however I think the Four Points on Bourbon will give you the same experience at half the price. (Just a little noisier)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
whotelsnola, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Hello Johnplatinum -

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood as well as your business at W French Quarter. I'm glad that you were able to connect with our Finance team to handle the incorrect charges on your bill and do apologize for the inconvenience. I'm addressing your concerns with our teams internally regarding the incorrect billing and the taxi to make sure this is not the case. If there's anything else that we can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at wfqcservice@whotels.com. We hope that we can welcome you back to W French Quarter soon to show you a flawless experience.

Warm regards,
Radnor, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Amazing location, beautiful courtyard - typical W - with coaches, fire pits, etc...very nice rooms - small - older hotel so walls are not the most sound proof however it is very much manageable. Food was delicious.....service was great...little wait checkin. Valet is extremely convenient.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jacques A
Hello Jacques A,
Thank you for your compliments on your recent stay at W French Quarter! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. I hope you had a great time in the city during your visit, and we look forward to seeing you again upon your return to New Orleans!
Warm regards,
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was beautiful, clean, and perfectly located. The valet staff was friendly and helpful. The staff at the check-in counter was a different story.

I have stayed at many W and Aloft Hotels across the county, and this was by far my worst experience. Not only did someone (at the hotel or SPG) cancel my reservation for an unknown reason, but I was treated terribly by the W desk staff when trying to get the situation sorted out. It was extremely embarrassing to sit in the lobby, with all of my luggage, tired from travelling, and then to be told that I (not them) needed to contact SPG (starwood preferrd guests) services to straighten out the matter. I did do this – on my own cell phone – and was able to correct the issues with the gracious help of the SPG staff. However, even after resolving the matter on the phone, the woman at the desk continued to treat me unfavorably.

At the restaurant, SoBou, the food was amazing (minus the gumbo – which was basically inedible) however, back to my chief problem with this hotel, the service in the restaurant was a nightmare. It was not busy and I noticed other guests receiving excellent service. I guess we were just unlucky in that respect, with the particular server we had that evening.

My last complaint, is that I unfortunately left a new pair of lulu lemon yoga pants ($150) in the room. I realize this is my own fault and I do not blame the hotel – but I called the hotel within 12 hours of my stay – and then again the next day - to see if anyone had turned them in. Considering the quality of this particular establishment, I was very surprised that no one bothered to turn these into the lost-and-found or security. I have left behind items at lesser quality hotels and the items were found and sent back to me.
Overall, the hotel is worth staying in, as long as you don’t mind the possibility of being treated like crap by the service professionals. I will not be back to this location.

• Stayed November 2013
Hello jmgoose,
I'm sorry to hear you experienced some problems while staying with us at W French Quarter recently. Please accept my apology for the quality of service you received upon check-in and during your stay. If you'd like to follow up with me via email, I will be happy to look further into the matter to determine why your reservation was cancelled. Please email me at wfqcservice@whotels.com. Again, I apologize for the way in which the matter was handled, and I will ensure that it never happens again.
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We were so disappointed with the W. We had the highest grade room under a suite and it was awful. The bathroom was so small with no storage that I could not keep any of my cosmetics or hair things in there. You were provided one small bedside drawer so again we could not unpack. The room, hallway and elevator smelled of mold and mildew. We asked for a better room but they were booked so we switched hotels. Typically this hotel brand is nice but this particular one I would not recommend!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Hello Beckyyager,
Please accept my apology on behalf of our team. I am very disappointed to hear you relocated during your visit. I will address these concerns with our team, and I also encourage you to reach out to us at wfqcservice@whotels.com to further discuss your most recent stay.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

texas
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The W is in a great location in the French Quarter. Is is a couple of blocks off Bourbon Street and in a nice area to walk around. The hotel is in an old building and the walls and doors are thin--you do hear lots of noice out the the hallway.
When we got the the hotel Quentin took our luggage and brought us a gift of the local beer. He was friendly and even ran down the street the next morning to hail a taxi.
The maid service is the reason for giving the review a 4--it was really lacking--never fully restocked towels or soap. I guess she just gave us what was left over on the cart.
The bar is nice, but closes too early (10 pm) for such a nice hotel.
Overall our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cjs4
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hello cjs4,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your compliments and comments on our staff. I will pass along your praises to Quentin and your feedback to our Style talent. We appreciate you taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor and hope to see you again upon your return to New Orleans!
James Wroblewksi