“One night, nice room, loud outside”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #74 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
California
“One night, nice room, loud outside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

spent one night here during NBA all start weekend. City was mobbed. Hotel took security seriously with so many people. Made us feel safe. Room and gym were both nice. Bathroom was small and toiletries were overpowering in lemon. Very nice front desk staff.
Try to get a room away from street. Noise outside could be heard through the windows. Overall a solid hotel in the french quarter.

Room Tip: Away from street if possible.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Hello redzins,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent trip to New Orleans over NBA All Star Weekend! I hope you enjoyed your trip! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and we appreciate you taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you again soon!
James Wroblewski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I selected this hotel primarily because it is a W and secondarily because of the location. I read some the the reviews and those who said you should avoid this place, must be crazy! From the moment we arrived, the staff was very welcoming. Shawn at the front desk could not be any more helpful and friendly. Then Lan at the bellman desk also provided insight on things to do and places to go. The property is very nice as are the rooms. This will be our hotel of choice in the French Quarter!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Hello Lecko S,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay! I'm glad to hear our staff was able to provide you with some good suggestions of things to do and places to go! We look forward to seeing you again soon upon your return to the Big Easy!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

In one word my last experience here is appalling! Booked a more expensive room with a sun deck, sounds good but all it means is that your patio door opens onto a community balcony with no privacy at all. The rooms are worn down and need some TLC. At check in we were told that no rooms were available however 2 people just in front of us got given keys to their rooms and when we stepped aside to let the person behind us check he to got his room straight away. Once in the room there were no towels and amenities. We got woken up 3 times with the Do Not Disturb sign on; I guess house keeping needs some training. Had to sleep with the tv as the remote didn't work. The funny side somebody actually came to my room when i complained about the remote and he showed me trick to change the channels; go and stand by the front door, holding the remote at that angle resolved the issue!! And yes that worked for changing channels but not to turn the tv off. Room service was disgusting the sandwich was prepared a long time in advance and was soggy. Points, free wifi or drinks as an SPG member of my level were not offered or given. The base sheet on the bed was for a smaller size mattress and you can imagine what happens then. Don't think that a return to this property is on the agenda soon!

Room Tip: Stay in the Westin or any other boutique hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Nicke07
whotelsnola, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello Nicke07 -

Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest program as you're a very important guest to us. I'm sorry to read about the challenges that you faced while you were staying with us. I know we were able to offer some compensation for your troubles while you were on property, but if there's anything else that we can do to turn your experience around, please let us know. We hope that you'll give us another opportunity to show you a wonderful experience from the time you arrive to the time you depart as I know we're capable.

Thank you again for your time and your feedback. We hope to welcome you back one day.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Where do I start ?.... The room wasn't ready when we got there , all we wanted to desperately
Do was shower and change . All other guests were able to check in however our room was the only room not ready . The girl at the check in desk wasn't the smartest that's for sure either . She Could have cared less until I asked for the manager . The manager was nice and bought us a drink at the bar and tried to speed the room up however 2 hours in still no room . We were promised that he was sending housekeeping there and would be done any minute and they would notify us... That never happened. The new girl at the desk knew nothing of this and said our room had been ready .. Then we paid for the fabulous room with a sun deck .... All it is is a door going out to a balcony that the public can use at any time . There is no privacy at all... We had to leave our door that barely opened because it was jammed anyhow closed at all times. We just wanted to rest before dinner because we had flown in from FL and were exhausted. We had our do not disturb on the door. They came and woke us up twice !!!!! Then the room next to us was the stairs and emergency exit and they were hammering and using a saw on our walls !!! We were so upset we called the front desk and they knew nothing of construction going on and said they were going to look into it and call us back... Never heard a word from them..they stopped when we started banging on the wall. The walls here are paper thin .... You can hear anything and everything going on , conversations , laughing , toilets flush , doors close .. EVERYTHING ! We came back after dinner and out to in the room didn't work . We had a tech come and turn it on and when he left it still didn't work. The channels nor volume didn't turn . We had to sleep with the tv on because at that point we were so annoyed we didn't want to deal with the hotel anymore. So after a night of no sleep , and our do not disturb still on the door - housekeeping bangs on our door at 8:30 am, this is after hearing her bang on the doors around us as well. We have absolutely had it and as I'm typing this the wifi constantly Keeps kicking me off . I am a gold member of the W and stay frequently at W hotels and this is not W standards , the staff could care less here and we will never stay here again ! Do not waste your money !

Room Tip: None ! The basic room is more privacy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lauriebklein
Hello lauriebklein -

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced several challenges while staying at our hotel. This is not the type of experience we want our guests to have and appreciate the feedback that you provided as it helps us improve on the level of service that we deliver. I know we were able to offer some compensation for your troubles while you were here and hope that it helped to turn your experience around in the end. As an SPG member, we appreciate your loyalty to the Starwood brand and W hotels. We'd love the opportunity to show you a different experience the next time you're in New Orleans as we have other rooms that might be a better fit, offer more privacy and have balconies overlooking the French Quarter. If there's anything else that we can do for you in the meantime, please feel free to reach out to us at wfqcservice@whotels.com. Thank you again for your feedback, your consideration and your time.

Estero, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I have stayed at W hotels around the world and am very loyal to the brand. I'm sorry to say the French Quarter W was the first one I would not return to.

My husband & I paid $579/night for a Fabulous Room this past weekend. We were impressed when we first arrived. The valet area and hotel courtyard that we were initially greeted with are lovely. But it went down hill from there...

We booked our room specifically over the lower class rooms because we wanted a balcony. But it turns out that the "balcony" is just a door that opens to the public courtyard. There was nothing keeping anyone from sitting in "our balcony" chairs or walking by our room all day & night. The extreme lack of privacy forced us to close the blinds the entire trip. Instead of enjoying the open air we paid for, we had absolutely no natural light! We would have been better off paying for a cheaper room and walking down the hall to enjoy the public access to "our balcony".

The other massive problem with the room was that the walls were paper thin. I'm assuming the whole hotel has this issue (I heard others complaining about it). I'm a 30-year-old that enjoys herself in New Orleans as much as the next person. I can sleep almost anywhere and rarely am bothered by outside noise. So, please, trust me when I say I've never experienced hotel room noise like this. I actually know the names of the people staying in the room next to us because I could hear their conversations like they were taking place in our room. And any noise from the hallway is worse.

Those two things alone had us so turned off that then we started noticing a lot of other smaller flaws. I won't take up space with them, but there were a few.

But I think the final straw for me was the lack of consistency I received while ordering room service. On Friday I ordered a sandwich and, when it arrived, it loosely resembled the sandwich's description on the menu so I ate it. On Monday, I ordered the same exact item and got a completely different sandwich. I confirmed with the server that it was correct even though the menu said "with pimento fondue and okra" and my sandwich had "spicy brown mustard and a slice of swiss cheese". This wasn't a matter of being delivered the wrong item, it was a matter of consistency. Their entire restaurant/room service felt like an afterthought where they are just putting whatever they had in the kitchen on the plate and serving it.

Bottom line? If we had paid $250/night for this hotel, I would have given it an "excellent". But when you start charging $500+/night for rooms, my expectation levels go up significantly. And the W French Quarter didn't rise to the occasion.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank happycj24
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Hello happyjackman,
I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed in your recent stay at W French Quarter. Thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention. I will relay your comments to my staff and see that the necessary improvements are made. Again, please accept my apology for the problems you encountered with your stay.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

If you want to stay in the French Quarter but not be on one of the extremely busy streets this is the place for you. We were 2 short blocks to Bourbon Street, but didn't have the backed up traffic. Everything was within walking distance. Jackson Square, the shops along the River.
The hotel itself is beautiful. The rooms are very contemporary, the courtyard is the perfect place to relax with beautiful plants and comfy seating.
The only part I was perplexed by was the lobby, or lack of a formal lobby. It was a small check in area and it took a while to get checked in because there was only 2 people working. Not a real problem.
Overall I was very pleased with the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hello katwoman46,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us on TripAdvisor and for telling us of your experience. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to W French Quarter!
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

From the moment we checked in, it was apparent we were in for a wonderful stay. From the friendly staff (Elijah), to our comfortable room, to the tasty food, to the refreshing drinks - we had an exquisite experience. New Orleans will be forever be in our hearts and it's because of the W!!! We love you guys (or y'all)!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello dcjajohnson,
Thank you so much for choosing W French Quarter during your most recent trip to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear you had such a delightful experience with us! I will pass along your kind comments to all of our staff, particularly Elijah. He will be so pleased to hear from you. Thank you for your excellent review! We look forward to welcoming you back to W French Quarter!