“Exceptionally clean property and exceptionally wonderful staff”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #60 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Santa Monica, California
“Exceptionally clean property and exceptionally wonderful staff”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel was in a perfect location and all of the staff were very competent, friendly and helpful. Additionally, I want to praise one of the hotel groundskeepers, Alvin Franklin, who took special care making sure that the elevators, the poolside, and all places in between were immaculate. He's the kind of employee that gives the hotel guests the experience of friendliness and peace of mind.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Hello MarciaSantaMonica,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent stay in New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us. I will pass along your praises to our staff members, particularly Alvin. We can't wait to welcome you back upon your return! Looking forward to seeing you again soon at W French Quarter!
James Wroblewski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

For four recent nights in Nola, we wanted to stay in the Quarter but wanted modern amenities as well. Turns out this is quite a typical W property: tries a bit too hard, and charges like a five star, but doesn't always deliver.

The pluses:

great location gets you to all the sights in the Quarter, the Marigny, the CBD and Warehouse district on foot. Garden District and Uptown are conveniently reached by streetcar or cab.

Charming inner courtyard with lounge chairs, a fountain, a small pool are inviting from morning to night, a calm oasis away from the bustling streets.

Friendly staff everywhere, at checkin, in the restaurant, the concierge and the valet attendants.

Good fourth night free room rate, free breakfast offer from Amex, and a nice cheese and wine welcome from the manager.

Minuses:

Small, darkish room with tiny bathroom

Sloooow wifi

Our room also happened to be near the gym. Waking up at 6:00am on my vacation because some knucklehead is dropping his dumbbells on the floor: not so cool.

Puzzling breakfast menu that gets even stranger for Sunday brunch. Basically there is nothing that is not covered in sugar, chocolate, bacon or eggs, sometimes all four. How about some plain fruit, granola, a bagel?

$44 per day valet charge!

Real minus:

A room service tray is deposited next to our room some time on Saturday. Sunday morning, the tray is still there. We go explore the city. By nighttime, the same tray is STILL sitting there. So we call to complain before going to dinner. Back late that evening. Tray has not moved. Only after a second call is the offending tray finally taken away.

We also found a smallish roach in our room. On its own I wouldn't think too much of it. Could happen to the best of us. But with food trays sitting around for literally days, that little roach was probably not alone.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trippy036
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hello trippy036,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay via TripAdvisor. Please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I will address these matters with my team and see that the necessary improvements are made right away. Thank you again for your comments.
Belvedere, California
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Quentin was extremely personable and a pleasure to deal with. All of his recommendations from restaurants to Second Line were excellent. He was always eager to help us out.

The hotel is in an excellent location in the French Quarter, just far enough away from the Bourbon St mayhem, but still in the center of things.

The restaurant was excellent! Try the oyster tacos and sweet potato beignets.

I would stay here again.

KP

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Pritchetthead
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hello Pritchetthead,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the Big Easy! I'm happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your praises of Quentin; I will pass along your kind comments to him. We look forward to having you return and stay with us again.
Solana Beach
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Location could not have been better. Property and staff full of personality. Enjoyed the complimentary hurricanes at check-in. Room was average size for a W but the balcony was a huge bonus! Elijah (concierge) and Lorenz (manager) went out of their way to make sure our trip was "W"onderful.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank 562BeckyS
Hello 562BeckyS,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the Big Easy! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. I will make sure to tell Lorenz and Elijah of your praises! We look forward to welcoming you back to W French Quarter upon your return to New Orleans soon!
Warm regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Thank you EVERYONE at WFQ for being so lovely. Shawn at the front desk is the sweetest. So helpful! Gave us a great room and was so accommodating. Malik and all of the guys out front are the greatest. So cheery and sweet. He took great care of us. Rooms are nice. The outdoor living room/courtyard is such a nice spot. Quiet and comfortable. If you're staying in FQ you can't get better.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Casey S
Hello Casey S,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I will pass along your kind comments to our staff, particularly Shawn and Malik. We can't wait to see you again upon your return to New Orleans! Thank you for such a great TripAdvisor review!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Talking about a great experience is not comparable to living that experience itself. My stay at the W French Quarter was simply amazing. The moment I stepped foot on the property I was in utter bliss! As soon as I pulled my vehicle in the valet stand I was greeted with a smile and a helpful hand by Quinton and Malik, both of which ensured I was well taken care of and that I was guaranteed to have a great stay at the W (they definitely, didn't disappoint). As I waited for my room key, I was given a Miss Abigail's Punch....oh my, it was the BEST drink I had all Madri Gras Weekend. Un-benounced to me Miss Abigail (who recommended the SoBou Surf & Turf and the Ginny Gin Gin Martinis....yet again one of my favorites) was one of the bartenders in SoBou (restaurant in the hotel) that I didn't meet until three days post the beginning of my stay. Miss Abigail not only made some of the best drinks...she sang songs that had the whole restaurant in total awe! We joined in and after my second martini...Miss Abigail was Gladys Knight and I was one of the Pips! In my sleeping quarters, I was excited to have a view that overlooked the quaint courtroom with heated pool and the quintessential New Orleans homes that surrounded this French Quarter gem. If it is wasn't for Quinton, Malik, and Miss Abigail my stay at the W French Quarter would not have been the same. Every time I visit New Orleans, I'll definitely be a guest of the W French Quarter and I'll recommend the hotel to all of my colleagues and friends. Whenever you arrive...just ask for Quinton, Malik, and Miss Abigail...they'll definitely show you a great time! Laisse le bon temps rouler!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jonathan M
Hello Johnathan M,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!! We so much appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such an excellent account of your experience with us. We appreciate your praises of our staff and property! I will pass along your kind words to Quinten, Malik and Abigail. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the Big Easy!!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I travel extensively for my job and so trade between Marriott and SPG properties depending on what is available in the location. I have also stayed in the French Quarter on both business and pleasure several times prior and well knew the challenges of finding a reliable hotel experience in this very busy tourist district. For that reason I researched a completely festival free two week period to book my recent 4 night and 5 day stay for pleasure. I also decided to splurge on the W because I had visited this property before, stayed in many other Ws, and assumed that the SPG nationwide reputation for service would be a guarantee against the familiar French Quarter problems with service and maintenance.

I am sorry to say that this lovely Hotel seems to have fallen under the French Quarter curse.
Here are the things that happened:
1) No Elevators in a 5 story building. During our entire 5 day stay one of the two elevators was down without a sign or notice and then on the busy Sunday when we were checking out the OTHER elevator went out. This is a 5 story hotel and people were forced to schlep up and down steep hot emergency stair wells with luggage. This went on all day Sunday with no signs of repair. Yet they still did not have postings on the elevators by days' end and the cheerful valets never warned people as they continued to march in vane over to the elevators and wait and wait... I never saw any maintenance people working on the elevators over the course of 5 days. The staff happily shrugged in commiseration with our plight but never gave an explanation of what the problem was, an estimated time of repair or a sincere heartfelt apology. The hard working valet certainly earned his tips that Sunday.

2.) Room not ready 4 hours after check in. We arrived for check in an hour AFTER our check in time on a relatively quiet Wednesday and told that our room was not ready with out an explanation or an estimate of the time for the wait. She took my phone number and said she would call me but never did -- instead I checked back three times as I was waiting there in the hotel without any idea that the wait would take so long. Then of course our luggage was delivered to the wrong room. These things are understandable if I get some conscientious and smart communication from the desk staff but I got very little. It seemed that the person at the counter only remembered me when I stood in front of her and then she forgot about my problems and me as soon as I walked away. She was friendly and sweet but not apparently very detail oriented and It was frustrating to have to keep "litigating" just to get my room after a long flight.

3. Room not clean. After the long wait it seemed obvious that our room had not been thoroughly cleaned after all. Another persons belongings were in the closet and food wrappers were on the floor near the desk.

4. Room not serviced while out all day. Next day after a full day out, we returned after 5:00 to an unserviced room with all of our damp towels still on the ground (there are no towel racks). We complained but had to make due with extra towels as we did not have time to wait for the cleaning staff. One of the best things about hotel travel is coming home to a clean made up room with restored amenities and towels so this was a disappointment. I figured out that I could avoid the problem by talking to the cleaning staff on the floor every morning as we left to say that our room was ready to be cleaned-- so it was put to the front of the line. Another complaint is that amenities were not restored on a daily basis unless we called up and asked. So shampoo and conditioner were always in short supply. Also room staples such as a cork screw and drinking class were missing and had to be requested. Not a typical experience at a W.

5. Forgotten Late check out. Because we had a late Sunday flight I asked for a delayed check out which they happily granted me in light of my lengthy delay during check in but as was typical here this communication did not seem to get to the rest of the staff. From 12 to 5 three different people knocked on the door asking if I was ready to check out.

6. Service and communication are what make a hotel shine and all of the above mishaps can be opportunities for a satisfied guest if handled competently and with follow through. Over several days I talked to three different people about my problems while I was there and they expressed heart felt regret and explained that they would look into what they could do for me or even refund some of my points and they would call me -- but no call or communication followed and no one at the desk seemed to have any information about these conversations. Finally on the last day before check out I received a standard email from the manager stating that he hoped I enjoyed my stay and asking for feed back.. I took the time to detail all of the above and he apologized and refunded one day of my stay and had a cheese and wine platter sent to my room.

Finally. although late in the stay, I felt like a valued customer. But things would have worked better if the various friendly staff that I had encountered took just one or two steps of follow through to show that they cared about my complaints. Anyhow in recognition of the managers responsiveness I give four stars in this review as opposed to one or two.

7.) Room Lay out: The room is modern with a tarot card decorating twist that I admired. The space is small but useful and as always the bedding was top notch. Two very simple things would make the room much easier to use: At least one towel rack installed into the small bathroom and reading lamps near the bed.

8.) The property. It goes without saying that the beautiful courtyard, ideal location, creatively renovated old building and very hip and eclectic décor all live up to your expectations for the W's unique boutique style. There are signs of wear and tear but it fits okay with the authentic French Quarter feel. Also the bar and Soubou restaurant offer unique and lighter fare and it is a fun spot to hang out.

In sum, it would be a spectacular place if the service were more responsive -- they need to try to solve problems for quests or provide explanations for why there is a problem and always offer some sort of compensation for the inconvenience without forcing the guest to request it.

I may return and will keep an eye on other reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for a Courtyard room with a view. Its nice to listen to the fountain and is much quieter than t...