“Flip a coin, inconsistent” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of W New Orleans - French Quarter

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #75 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Alexandria, Louisiana
“Flip a coin, inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel has a foundation just not sure on management. Very inconsistent. Lovely outside courtyard and great location. Rooms need major deep cleaning, housekeeping just doing "spot" cleaning. Very very dusty behind doors and shutter blinds. Bathrooms not very clean. Due to being in French Quarter, has high volume I'm sure. Our arrival at 4:15 was met with room not ready? So apparently either understaffed or letting people check out late and room not getting a good cleaning. We had two day stay and on Saturday we came back to our room around 3:30, hadn't been cleaned yet. Housekeeping came about 4 and asked if we wanted service, I said bathroom and fresh towels. She handed me two towels; my first reaction was why didn't she just put in bathroom when she cleaned? Well, she didn't clean. She just took old towels, gave me two and left. She didn't leave a clean foot towel for the shower. If you saw the shower layout you'd know why this was extremely important to have. Also the walls and doors might as well not exist. You can hear any and everything as if folks in the hall are in your room. Zero sound proofing, and in NOLA after people stay out drinking, real hard to deal with at 2 or 3 am. All the employees were pleasant and nothing really was bad about the hotel other than the condition of the room which at $400 a night average is important.

Room Tip: Not sure one can, even those overlooking courtyard have thin walls and doors!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Hello rebfamily,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at W French Quarter. We take all of your comments and concerns seriously, as your experience with us is very highly valued. Thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention, particularly the housekeeping concerns. I will relay these messages to my team and see that improvements are made. We hope you will return and stay with us again to allow us the chance to show you a better experience!
James Wroblewski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel was in a perfect location and all of the staff were very competent, friendly and helpful. Additionally, I want to praise one of the hotel groundskeepers, Alvin Franklin, who took special care making sure that the elevators, the poolside, and all places in between were immaculate. He's the kind of employee that gives the hotel guests the experience of friendliness and peace of mind.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hello MarciaSantaMonica,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent stay in New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us. I will pass along your praises to our staff members, particularly Alvin. We can't wait to welcome you back upon your return! Looking forward to seeing you again soon at W French Quarter!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

For four recent nights in Nola, we wanted to stay in the Quarter but wanted modern amenities as well. Turns out this is quite a typical W property: tries a bit too hard, and charges like a five star, but doesn't always deliver.

The pluses:

great location gets you to all the sights in the Quarter, the Marigny, the CBD and Warehouse district on foot. Garden District and Uptown are conveniently reached by streetcar or cab.

Charming inner courtyard with lounge chairs, a fountain, a small pool are inviting from morning to night, a calm oasis away from the bustling streets.

Friendly staff everywhere, at checkin, in the restaurant, the concierge and the valet attendants.

Good fourth night free room rate, free breakfast offer from Amex, and a nice cheese and wine welcome from the manager.

Minuses:

Small, darkish room with tiny bathroom

Sloooow wifi

Our room also happened to be near the gym. Waking up at 6:00am on my vacation because some knucklehead is dropping his dumbbells on the floor: not so cool.

Puzzling breakfast menu that gets even stranger for Sunday brunch. Basically there is nothing that is not covered in sugar, chocolate, bacon or eggs, sometimes all four. How about some plain fruit, granola, a bagel?

$44 per day valet charge!

Real minus:

A room service tray is deposited next to our room some time on Saturday. Sunday morning, the tray is still there. We go explore the city. By nighttime, the same tray is STILL sitting there. So we call to complain before going to dinner. Back late that evening. Tray has not moved. Only after a second call is the offending tray finally taken away.

We also found a smallish roach in our room. On its own I wouldn't think too much of it. Could happen to the best of us. But with food trays sitting around for literally days, that little roach was probably not alone.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trippy036
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hello trippy036,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay via TripAdvisor. Please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I will address these matters with my team and see that the necessary improvements are made right away. Thank you again for your comments.
Belvedere, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Quentin was extremely personable and a pleasure to deal with. All of his recommendations from restaurants to Second Line were excellent. He was always eager to help us out.

The hotel is in an excellent location in the French Quarter, just far enough away from the Bourbon St mayhem, but still in the center of things.

The restaurant was excellent! Try the oyster tacos and sweet potato beignets.

I would stay here again.

KP

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Pritchetthead
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hello Pritchetthead,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the Big Easy! I'm happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your praises of Quentin; I will pass along your kind comments to him. We look forward to having you return and stay with us again.
Solana Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Location could not have been better. Property and staff full of personality. Enjoyed the complimentary hurricanes at check-in. Room was average size for a W but the balcony was a huge bonus! Elijah (concierge) and Lorenz (manager) went out of their way to make sure our trip was "W"onderful.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank 562BeckyS
Hello 562BeckyS,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the Big Easy! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. I will make sure to tell Lorenz and Elijah of your praises! We look forward to welcoming you back to W French Quarter upon your return to New Orleans soon!
Warm regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Thank you EVERYONE at WFQ for being so lovely. Shawn at the front desk is the sweetest. So helpful! Gave us a great room and was so accommodating. Malik and all of the guys out front are the greatest. So cheery and sweet. He took great care of us. Rooms are nice. The outdoor living room/courtyard is such a nice spot. Quiet and comfortable. If you're staying in FQ you can't get better.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Casey S
Hello Casey S,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I will pass along your kind comments to our staff, particularly Shawn and Malik. We can't wait to see you again upon your return to New Orleans! Thank you for such a great TripAdvisor review!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Talking about a great experience is not comparable to living that experience itself. My stay at the W French Quarter was simply amazing. The moment I stepped foot on the property I was in utter bliss! As soon as I pulled my vehicle in the valet stand I was greeted with a smile and a helpful hand by Quinton and Malik, both of which ensured I was well taken care of and that I was guaranteed to have a great stay at the W (they definitely, didn't disappoint). As I waited for my room key, I was given a Miss Abigail's Punch....oh my, it was the BEST drink I had all Madri Gras Weekend. Un-benounced to me Miss Abigail (who recommended the SoBou Surf & Turf and the Ginny Gin Gin Martinis....yet again one of my favorites) was one of the bartenders in SoBou (restaurant in the hotel) that I didn't meet until three days post the beginning of my stay. Miss Abigail not only made some of the best drinks...she sang songs that had the whole restaurant in total awe! We joined in and after my second martini...Miss Abigail was Gladys Knight and I was one of the Pips! In my sleeping quarters, I was excited to have a view that overlooked the quaint courtroom with heated pool and the quintessential New Orleans homes that surrounded this French Quarter gem. If it is wasn't for Quinton, Malik, and Miss Abigail my stay at the W French Quarter would not have been the same. Every time I visit New Orleans, I'll definitely be a guest of the W French Quarter and I'll recommend the hotel to all of my colleagues and friends. Whenever you arrive...just ask for Quinton, Malik, and Miss Abigail...they'll definitely show you a great time! Laisse le bon temps rouler!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jonathan M
Hello Johnathan M,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!! We so much appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such an excellent account of your experience with us. We appreciate your praises of our staff and property! I will pass along your kind words to Quinten, Malik and Abigail. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the Big Easy!!