“Full of New Orleans flavor!”

Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites
Ranked #120 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My friends and I stayed here for the Jazz Fest and we loved it. This hotel makes you feel like you're in New Orleans without getting your wallet assaulted and not having to deal with crazy drunken tourists vomitting in your hallway. The Maison St. Charles is owned by Quality Inns but it feels completely independent and has a charm all to itself. The property is so charming. The suites are adorable and all of the rooms have a little New Orleans flavor.

The location is great if you are looking to be near the French Quarter WITHOUT being too near the French Quarter. I personally don't like the French Quarter and like the less touristy parts of New Orleans. I chose this hotel because it was close enough for my friends who had never been and close enough to some other cool destinations in the city. The location is convenient because it is right outside of a cable car stop and it is essentially "mid-city." There is also usually a taxi cab waiting to take passengers and there is a shuttle for the Jazz Fest for only $8/per person one way.

The other appealing aspect of the location is the price. You won't get too price-gauged for French Quarter hotels. We paid about $150/night and stayed during JazzFest so we were thrilled with the value for the price. The hotel is right next to a bunch of fast food restaurants, including the "original" Popeyes and a bar, so it's a fairly bustling area. It's also across the street from Emeril's Delmonico. As for safety, two blocks away is a pretty rough neighborhood so just stay on St. Charles and you'll be fine.

The rooms are spacious and ample for 4 people. We had a room with two double beds and it was more than enough. There's a sink area and the bathroom is small but clean. The room had a mini-fridge, iron/ironing board, blowdryer, coffee maker and basic amenities. Each room has a TV with cable (Showtime). The hotel has free WiFi and it was a decent signal.

They charge a bit too much for parking -$20 - when the lot is across the street from the hotel and not in a garage. The only time I saw the lot locked was the last night I was there. Otherwise, it didn't feel very different from parking on the street. So that's exactly what we did. We parked right outside the lot and our rental car was fine.

The security guards are very nice and helpful and they are always circling around the property to ensure safety. The hotel is pretty out in the open in a neighborhood so you might not feel secure at first but once you see how hard the security guards are working, you'll feel better. And we made it all four nights without incident.

The pool is small but relatively clean, as is the jacuzzi. We didn't use the pool/jacuzzi at all but if you have a room near it, it does get loud. I'd recommend you ask to be moved if you'll be bothered by noise because it does get a little loud in the pool area.

The lobby employees are nice enough and will answer any tourist-y questions you have. We didn't get to check in early which would have been nice but they at least let us leave our car there for free until check in, and we appreciated that.

The only weird situation I had was discovering a cockroach in our room. I tried calling the lobby desk around midnight but no one answered. I finally went outside, found the security guard, and he helped me track down the lobby clerk. I asked him for bug spray and he said that the maintenance has the bug spray and they were gone for the night so he had nothing. I found this bizarre. You have a hotel in bug-infested New Orleans and you have no bug spray?? The clerk said the only thing he could do for me was move my room. I was not interested in rooming with a cockroach so we all agreed to move. It was inconvenient but not the worst situation. I would have appreciated an apology from the clerk but he didn't offer one or seem to care that there was a cockroach in the room and no bug spray. We at least got to move the room but I was thinking, what would he have done had all of the rooms been full?

In any case, I had a great time here and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LilMissTraveler

Reviewed 10 May 2011

I have stayed here many times for JazzFest and it is a good option. Close to everything not just in the quarter but in other neighborhoods and a convenient place to get to the fairgrounds. The price is also right which is its best point.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Copperdesk63
Reviewed 4 May 2011

When we were looking for a hotel for our stay in New Orleans, we came upon the Suites Maison website and thought that it would be a great hotel. We saw many recommendations for this hotel. I don't know exactly where they stayed, but the suite that we were given was horrible. The smell was bad - I had problems with my allergies being in the room just a few minutes. The room looked shabby and not at all like the photos we saw. There was no elevator and we had to haul our luggage two flights of stairs. We were there for Jazzf Fest and could not stay at that hotel. For $220.00 you would think you would at least get a decent room. We checked out of that hotel as quickly as we could, but were left with no room in New Orleans in the middle of Jazz Fest. After we searched around for another hotel, we found a much better, upscale hoted that was clean and right in the French Quarter for less money. We were lucky! To say the least stay away for this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Stay Away!
4  Thank Willow78717
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Loved staying there. It was beautiful, comfortable, and everyone was nice. The trolley is right on the other side of the street. Didn't need to drive or take cab to go to the touristy places. The breakfast is a little better then most continental breakfasts. With AAA did not have to pay the parking fee. Will go back.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed April 15 & 16th with the park and cruise package they offer. We had 5 rooms total and everyone was happy with the hotel. They had lots of security so we felt safe even though some of the building around the hotel did not look so great. Lots of places to eat around the hotel or the street car across the street was easy to use to get to the other areas. They offered a simple breakfast but be there early or you might miss out. Staff was friendly check in and check out was a breeze price was just as we was told it would be. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Tonya4052
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We preferred the security of knowing that our inn was run by a well known chain. But we also wanted the non-chain feel at the same time. The Maison St. Charles Inn seemed to fit the bill. It had a lot of charm and character. The room was plain but very comfortable, although an extra chair would've been nice. The courtyard was very nice, breakfast was pretty typical. The location right on the trolley line is great and it could be walked to the French quarter although you probably wouldn't make that walk later at night.

2  Thank Cheese_head_in_La
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Had a wonderful time at the hotel this past weekend. Went down to New Orleans with a group of friends. Nobody in the group had one complaint about the hotel. The breakfast was great. The location is convenient to everything. The streetcar stops right outside the hotel. The hotel staff were very accomodating and friendly. There was security on the premises which made you feel perfectly safe the whole time.This was my first trip to New Orleans and it definitely won't be my last. And when I go back, Maison St. Charles will be my first choice.

3  Thank ilb123