“Good value right on Streetcar line” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites

Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites
Ranked #113 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Guelph, Canada
“Good value right on Streetcar line”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Hotel housed in several very old buildings right on St. Charles Street. Although basic, the rooms are large and comfortable, complete with flat screen TV and in-room WiFi. The bathrooms have been recently renovated, with a large glass shower replacing the bathtub (note if you have kids that need a tub). The courtyards are quiet and peaceful, one featuring a small swimming pool. The continental breakfast (including several hot items) was adequate. Although the area is a bit "shady", there is 24-hour security. There is guest laundry, but no fitness room (although free passes are available to a fitness club across the street). The location is great - hop on the St. Charles streetcar out front and you're on Canal Street in ten minutes. There are several good restaurants within a block or so (an Emeril's, Matt Murphy's Irish House, etc.). All in all, good value for the money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank B_and_N_and_5_kids
Bret C, Manager at Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
We appreciate you taking time to leave us comments on your recent stay! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we have passed along your comments to our staff. Please feel free to reach out to us when planning your next trip to New Orleans. We would love to have you as our guest!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay so much. The staff was wonderful, the room was great!! Great place for families with kids they played in the courtyard and had a wonderful time!! We will definatly stay again!! The breakfast was a plus the kids really enjoyed an was a great start to the day!!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Lsjames
We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have passed along your comments to our staff and are so proud that they took great care of you. Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We hope to see you again the next time you are visiting New Orleans!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hard to imagine this pace is right on St. Charles a couple of blocks from interstate 20. While I enjoyed the location when I booked I was concerned about traffic and noise. Neither were an issue. This place was quiet. Clean. Beautifully landscaped. Organized parking with 24 hour security. Loved the breakfast. Fleur de Les on my Waffle. "How about that!" The pool was clean. I didn't get in it yet the people in it were enjoying themselves. The street car was right at the front of the hotel. How convenient. Everything was convenient.

Room Tip: They have elevators so any room is a good room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelinPawPaw
Thank you for the kind comments! We are so excited to hear that you were pleased with your stay. We strive to meet our guests' expectations and glad we were able to meet yours. We hope to see you again soon in New Orleans as we would love to have you as our guest again!
bubbles66
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Positives:

Free wif-fi, breakfast, good clean grounds with security car, location to streetcar and overall presentation of the hotel.

Bad points:

Room. We got there and the bathroom door was hanging off, we called down to reception to have it fixed. No one appeared. We had to ask the maid the next day and she got it sorted, by this time the top hinge was completely off.

The room itself had a very musty smell, I had to buy air fresher just so I could sleep in the room. Also, the sink outwith the bathroom? Highly material for any privacy and hygiene. That toilet door handle is clearly full of germs until you can wash your hands.

The room was very dull and could have done with a thorough clean. The carpet wasn't cut right and just left loose against the wall.

If the hotel can sort out the room cleanliness then this hotel would be a solid 4 stars. It has the charm and character just needs a little more work.

All in all a good stay, not sure I would consider it again until I seen better reviews.

Room Tip: 310 was the room we had and could do with a right good clean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bret C, General Manager at Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Maison St. Charles. I would like to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay with us. The housekeeping and maintenance issues mentioned will be addressed with the respective departments immediately. We strive to run a clean, comfortable hotel and expect nothing less for each and every guest. If you find yourself back in New Orleans, I hope you give us a chance to show you that this is not the standards for our hotel.
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My stay with my daughter was an overall very nice experiance. I found the hotel room and grounds to be very nice, clean and kept up. All the staff I met were helpful and friendly. The accomidations, breakfast and ammenities were what I would expect from that price point. It is a good location that allows easy access to the Garden district and the French Quarter. There are also good places within a block or two to eat. I have no complaints and considerred a good value.
Side note; the cable cars run right out the front door on Charles street which is great. But there don't seem to run very often on the return from The French Quarter and are often jammed. Just make sure and allow enough time or choose other travel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bglassel
Thank you so much for the kind comments! We truly appreciate your loyalty to the Maison St. Charles. I will share your comments with my staff.
Valencia, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I picked this hotel since my husband and I were treating my 17 year old niece to a few days in N.O. as a HS grad gift and it offered suites which I thought would give us a room we could share that also provided a little bit of privacy during our stay from 3/26/14 - 3/30/14. Positives - Hotel location is very good. It is right on the St Charles trolley line, and while we found that depending on the time of day, the trolley cars could be too full to board, it was also possible just to walk down to the waterfront and French Qtr as we did on the day we arrived. It is also within easy walking distance of the beautiful homes in the Garden District for a tour of that area. The hotel staff was also very helpful and friendly during check in and every other time we called or visited the lobby to request assistance. They also did a good job keeping the breakfast stocked and clean even though we saw lots of guests in there each morning. Negatives - The room itself was the biggest issue we had with the hotel. While I was fine with an older hotel and I didn't expect everything to be new, modern, and shiny, what we did get was a little disappointing. After walking in the front door, you entered a very comfortable sitting/living room with the fold out sofa bed where my niece would sleep. From there, you walked back through a door into the bedroom with the king bed that my husband and I would share. The problem was that for my niece to get to the bathroom, she had to walk through our bedroom to get to the open sink area and private tub/toilet. This put a monkey wrench into my hopes for privacy for my niece. The next issue we had was that when my niece opened the sofa bed the head area near the sofa back slanted down about 40 degrees from the foot of the bed. The first night she woke up with a headache because she tried to sleep with her head so much lower than her feet. After that we told her to sleep with her head at the foot of the bed and it worked out a little better. Other oddities - walking from the bed to the bathroom was uphill, and none of the lights in the chandelier over the bed would come on until we climbed up on the bed and screwed all of the bulbs in tighter. One of the advantages of staying at the hotel was that it had a pool and spa, which I thought would be nice to use if the weather was hot and humid as I expected. Turned out, our stay was during a cold spell in the weather and while there was ALOT of rain one day, there was no humidity. Due to the cold we were not interested in the pool, but the one night we tried to use the spa, we were told that the heater did not work. While I might stay in the hotel again if I was looking for something very low budget, folks should be aware of what to expect.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank CAParrotmom
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Maison St. Charles.
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the issue you mention on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with My Department heads to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.
Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to New Orleans.
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Not at all what it is advertised to be. We are a mature, average income, couple. We only ask to be treated with the same courtesy and respect that we treat others with and stay at Best Westerns and Quality Inns all the time with no problems. This hotel has problems. I could overlook the keys not working and having to wait and move to another room upon arrival. But on day #2 the keys had to be replaced for the second room too because they also stopped working. Add that to the fact that we had to sign a paper when we arrived stating that if the do not enter sign was on the door after 12:00 noon we would not receive maid service so at 9:30 AM when the sign was on the door but the maid came in anyway without even knocking (I was in bed, sick) I got up and left so we could receive maid service. She said that she would have the room cleaned in just a few minutes. I returned 3 hrs. later to a dirty room. Day #3 the couple next door decided to play jazz music in their room. We were told that this was acceptable and if we did not like it we would just have to put up with it or we could pack up our stuff and move to another room. We only had 1 night left. Thank goodness. The breakfast was not much, the young lady did the best she could. Only 1 person trying to put out food and keep things filled up ,lucky if you can get a cup of coffee. You pay for parking but there is a sign that says you take on all responsibility. When the load noise started at night we just put up with it and waited to get out of there. The manager lets you know in no uncertain terms that he does not care if you are happy or not after he gets your credit card information and can get his money! The shower is a strange set up. The parking is not safe. The nice Garden District was at least 10 blocks away. The French Quarter was too far to walk. Nothing good here!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Judy M
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay with us. The issues you mentioned will be addressed with the respective departments immediately. We strive to run a clean, comfortable hotel and expect nothing less for each and every guest. If you find yourself back in New Orleans, I hope you consider staying with us to show you that this is not the norm for our hotel

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Central Business District
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter
Comfort Suites New Orleans
#108 of 162 in New Orleans

Been to Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!